What to do with a bricked Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gen1LeafProject

What's the best way to get some money out of a totally dead 2011 leaf?

The Leaf was a great car for our "first electric" commuter and perfect for our needs. The 40 miles of remaining range on the 8 bar battery was plenty for our in-city commute.

But then, I did a stupid thing. When replacing the 12V battery, I hooked it up backwards. Yeah I know, dumb. For over 60 seconds I wondered what was wrong. I fried a bunch of fuses, and likely a bunch of electronics as well. After replacing every fuse (even the ones that were hard to get to) and hooking the battery back up correctly, it won't charge, or turn on the dash panel, or do anything.

I called 3 dealers in my area (Seattle) and they all said "can of worms, you probably fried a bunch of electronics, bring it in and we'll spend money until you tell us to stop, or accept that it's dead."

Since I only paid $2500 for the car, I've decided to move on and accept the consequences of my mistake. Now, what do I do with it?

I'd like to get SOME money back, but I have never "junked" an EV before so I'm at a loss.

Any guidance appreciated.

I would think that it shouldn't be totally dead. Main fuse at the battery? I would think you should be able to get at least a light to light. If I didn't get that, I would poke around and see how far the power is making it.
None of this means it isn't toast, but it would be more value to someone if some of the stuff works, then there is a chance at a private sale.
Barring that, then call a junkyard to come haul it off.
If you were nearby, I'd come and poke around and see what could be seen.

Scrap cars are something like 10 cents pound or over $300 for the whole car. You could probably get $250 for just one door, hood or hatch, but that takes a lot of time and space to part it out. Maybe post it on Facebook for $1000 and take the first $500 offer.

I would think that it shouldn't be totally dead. Main fuse at the battery? I would think you should be able to get at least a light to light. If I didn't get that, I would poke around and see how far the power is making it.
None of this means it isn't toast, but it would be more value to someone if some of the stuff works, then there is a chance at a private sale.
Barring that, then call a junkyard to come haul it off.
If you were nearby, I'd come and poke around and see what could be seen.
Exactly, and if it were something simple that you've missed you will have junked a car that someone might get running quickly. Please find someone to help do more troubleshooting.

I do know a Mercedes was jumped "backwards" and it took out the main computer and a couple of other things. Because the main computer was fried the car appeared completely dead. That is expensive to try to replace for possibly nothing, but it could be that. Maybe you can get a cheap one from a junk yard to do a test.

Back