What Range Anxiety?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcesare

A new study out of the UK finds that more than a third of EV drivers lost their fear of running out of charge within three months of driving their vehicles.
http://nissan-leaf.net/2011/09/12/study-shows-ev-range-anxiety-decreases-after-three-months/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can beat that--I never had range anxiety. Working up to longer distances (50 miles each way) as I find charging stations near the places I am going. A piece of cake.

Part of eliminating range anxiety for us is knowing when NOT to take the EV. For example, yesterday we went to Torrance for Hamcon 2011, and then to BJ's for lunch, and then to Marina del Rey to the boat for an outing, and then to Northridge for dinner, and then back home. A total distance of about 115 miles. Yes, we likely could have found a L2 charger here and there to top up enough but it would have detracted from our day and would simply have not been worth it. We took the ICE instead.

TomT said:
Part of eliminating range anxiety for us is knowing when NOT to take the EV. For example, yesterday we went to Torrance for Hamcon 2011, and then to BJ's for lunch, and then to Marina del Rey to the boat for an outing, and then to Northridge for dinner, and then back home. A total distance of about 115 miles. Yes, we likely could have found a L2 charger here and there to top up enough but it would have detracted from our day and would simply have not been worth it. We took the ICE instead.

But if you were at any of those places for longer than an hour (with L2 or QC available), opportunity charging would have easily allowed you to do the 115 miles in your EV. Yes, I know that is a big IF, having chargers nearby, but what a nice outing that would have been!

Absolutely none here either and so far, I haven't needed any other charging (rarely do 100%) besides at home. I had a 400-500 mile range with my Honda Civic GX and often would wait until the 'low fuel light' which meant I had around 50-55 miles left. By the time I reached the station (28m one way), I was usually down to 10-27 miles left (no range anxiety). One time in 7 years of ownership, I tested the reserve and went 58 miles making it to the station literally on fumes. Not once since I had the car did I ever run out of CNG. Being able to come home and charge though is sooo much more convenient!

LEAFfan said:
Absolutely none here either and so far, I haven't needed any other charging (rarely do 100%) besides at home. I had a 400-500 mile range with my Honda Civic GX and often would wait until the 'low fuel light' which meant I had around 50-55 miles left. By the time I reached the station (28m one way), I was usually down to 10-27 miles left (no range anxiety). One time in 7 years of ownership, I tested the reserve and went 58 miles making it to the station literally on fumes. Not once since I had the car did I ever run out of CNG. Being able to come home and charge though is sooo much more convenient!
400-500 miles in a GX? Did your GX have additional CNG cylinders installed?

Devin said:
LEAFfan said:
400-500 miles in a GX? Did your GX have additional CNG cylinders installed?

I had a nine gal. extra tank installed in the backseat area. But people and critics of BEVs need to realize that ALL cars, ICEs, Hybrids, BEVs, etc., drivers can have range anxiety. I had a really accurate fuel gauge installed on my '90 Toyota Celica GT-S so I wanted to see how low it would go without running out and it hit .7gal (no range anxiety) before it started to sputter, then I went to a gas station. It all depends on their 'fear factor' and knowing their car.

But people and critics of BEVs need to realize that ALL cars, ICEs, Hybrids, BEVs, etc., drivers can have range anxiety.

I had to drive in Montana from Billings going North to Glasgow. Rental company gave me a Jeep that felt like a tank. I had 300 miles to drive, I knew there was construction on the road and the wheather was really bad. When I got to a half tank and still had 150 miles, GPS showed a gas station 100 miles away in Malta. I panicked and made a 40 miles detour, into the heart of the thunderstorm, to fill up in Lewistown. Coming back I made it without stoping, in beautiful weather, with a 1/8th of the tank left.

With the Leaf we never had "range anxiety", it just takes some quick planing. After the first month when we tested the range, now we rarely get the low warning. (only charged at home for the last two months)

All the things we did that day made for a MUCH nicer outing than looking for L2 chargers... :lol:

Phoenix said:
But if you were at any of those places for longer than an hour (with L2 or QC available), opportunity charging would have easily allowed you to do the 115 miles in your EV. Yes, I know that is a big IF, having chargers nearby, but what a nice outing that would have been!

TomT said:
All the things we did that day made for a MUCH nicer outing than looking for L2 chargers... :lol:

Phoenix said:
Not much range anxiety here, but if you had taken the LEAF for an outing, and had an opportunity present itself, then having parked at a charger and topped up would have been accommodating... There are lots of similar destinations for outings, with equal enjoyment, and I do find myself picking ones to take the LEAF. My ICE sports car sits on a battery tender, and I really need to find a road trip, like Mammoth Lakes from Los Angeles to give it a run.

I wasn't so much stressed about range in the beginning as I was excited and even riveted by the process of learning how far I could push it and how to drive efficiently. Fairly early on we established a pattern of places we could comfortable get to and from and now the "issue" of range anxiety is a non-issue.

Back