What is the "OPT OUT CODE?"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincerama

What do people mean when they talk about the "opt out code", like some sort of opting out of a battery warranty or something?

I bought a used 2011 Leaf with 9 bars, what am I looking for in terms of this code and what does it mean?

Thanks!

Newbie, I know, but how the heck is anyone supposed to know all this stuff before they buy a simple car? Sheesh?

It is patently unfair that the buyer of a used LEAF that has, to all intents and purposes, been "black listed" by Nissan for actions of a previous owner should be disqualified from the battery capacity warranty.

What you need to do is go to a Nissan dealer and have them pull a report on your car that shows warranty excusions. What you're hoping to see is that there isn't a B0133 exclusion. If it's there, I would complain VERY vocally to Nissan, and also consider getting local media involved (find out if they have a consumer advocate).

On the plus side, if the warranty exclusion is there for your car, it's possible that mediation over the Klee settlement will have nullified it, we simply don't know that yet.

EDIT: I realize my post might not make a whole lot of sense for a newbie. Search either "Klee" or "B0133", read the threads, and all will become depressingly clear.

The report is called "SERVICE-COMM". My Service Manager ran the report, and I have:
B0133 NO EV BATT CAPACITY WARRANTY
on the line under "VIN WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS ON PNC"
If your report doesn't have that B0133, your VIN is clear, as the original owner didn't opt out of the Class Action suit.

Back