What is holding up installation of chargers along highways?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desertstraw

Aren't we long past the promised time? I sent an email to Blink which they didn't answer. With relatively few quick chargers, we could travel all western coastal states and Arizona.

Desertstraw said:
Aren't we long past the promised time? I sent an email to Blink which they didn't answer. With relatively few quick chargers, we could travel all western coastal states and Arizona.
At recovery.gov you can provide your feedback on the EV Project. Link is at the top of the page upper right corner FEEDBACK
http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/RecipientReportedData/Pages/RecipientProjectSummary508.aspx?AwardIDSUR=58864&vendorstart=3#vendorawards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would imagine its because of what happen in Japan..Thats a lot of money to put out there in the way of chargers if there are just a few thousand cars that might currently use them...

Just from what I read on Ecotality..THe $100 million is a grant-loan that needs to be paid back eventually,they just did another stock offering of 10 million shares to help with the bills..

Im sure what they are looking at now is how much of a return that they are going to get from a few thousand E-cars today ..Where 5 years from now there could be a million in the USA..

I hate to bring up the Solyandra failure, but new technologies require some risk. A couple of million dollars would enable electric car travel in the west coast and Arizona. This would spur the adoption of electric cars. It is much less money than the DOE spends to encourage other solar and electric car projects.

just a comment on a possible reason in WA anyway. no verification, just some overheard comments.

original plan; placed QC Stations at current State run rest areas. easy freeway access. State owned and operated so minimal red tape.

problem; power availability not really there. long term viability. rest areas are vital but not really that popular for residents

new plan (remember its only rumors); place QC stations in same basic location but in business area. that way, drivers can support local businesses. this makes sense. current rest areas provide little else other than very well used (and COLD!! in winter) bathrooms along with free coffee at many stops.

it would be nice to charge and grab some lunch. i really dont care if its fast food or a chain sit down place (sitting fast food) but this allows covering 2 bases instead of one, helps to support the economy and provides much close proximity to the power sources needed.

problem; not all in states hands. need to procure area that is close to freeway (prime real estate that is not likely to be readily available) along with permissions from local businesses as it most likely will need to be put into an existing commercial area so shared space/parking, etc must be hashed out, etc.

originally, the first QC stations were to be installed here in Sept. that has not happened, so hopefully this new plan will be implemented soon

In 2009, Rabobank installed charging stations at its branches along the Highway 101 corridor from south of San Jose to at least as far south as Santa Maria. They are just Level 2, and at the time weren't J1772. Don't know if they've been updated connector wise or if there are plans to install Level 3 EVSE.

Many of the Rabobank branches are also solar powered.

Desertstraw said:

They're coming! You just need to have a little more patience. Besides what Dave has said, the other reason is they just received UL approval on some, and our two will be UL approved sometime this week. So I'm sure we will see more soon along the interstates when all the logistic problems are solved. I like the idea being at businesses better anyway which would allow me to stay off the interstates while traveling.

there is an Outlet Mall in Centralia which is 30 miles south of Olympia (where we hope to get a QC) that is positioned well for a QC site. its a fairly large complex with the Outlet Mall, tons of food options both sit down and Fast food and nearly always has some vacancies, but more importantly huge amounts of parking so has space for the QC

i actually work with someone whose Hubby manages the Mall who was actually approached this past Summer about creating dialog on the subject. i have not been able to get back to this person for an update. we work different hours but do run into each other occasionally due to several mandatory meetings/trainings. I have been on mandatory overtime for 18 months so all "non production" time must be done outside regular work hours which means scheduling all this cra... i mean "stuff" on my off time. i work 10 hour days with mandatory 1 hour OT now so scheduling anything after an 11 hour day is not an option. so i usually pick a few hours of one of my days off. as far as meetings. we have 80+ teams so i can attend any of those. we have "led" trainings that run 4 times a day, every day. we also have CBTs that can be done at any time. (computer based trainings)

so, all in all, TMI i guess but will try to determine her schedule and see if i can get an update from her sometime in the next week or so

Desertstraw said:

Unfortunately a few chargers can only support a few EV. This can only lead to long wait times with EVs queued up for hours before repeating the process in another 100 miles or so. What is really needed is a lot of chargers. Enough chargers to guarantee that no matter how many EVs the wait time to access a charger will be only a few minutes.

Leafittome said:
In 2009, Rabobank installed charging stations at its branches along the Highway 101 corridor from south of San Jose to at least as far south as Santa Maria. They are just Level 2, and at the time weren't J1772. Don't know if they've been updated connector wise or if there are plans to install Level 3 EVSE.

Many of the Rabobank branches are also solar powered.
The Salinas, Atascadero, Santa Maria, and Goleta stations are now J1772. 80 amp capable, but only 16 amp for LEAF.

The city of Encinitas will be working with Ecotality to install some chargers. Interesting reading the contract. Thoughts anyone?

From the agenda for the City Council meeting 10/12/11:

6. Approve in substantial form the Charging Site Host Agreement between the City of Encinitas and Electronic Transportation Engineering Corp (dba ECOtality) for electric vehicle charging stations on City owned or controlled property and allocate $10,000 from the City’s General Fund reserve to support a pilot project implementation. Contact Person: Deputy City Manager Phillips. STAFF RECOMMENDATION: Approve in substantial form the Charging Site Host Agreement between the City of Encinitas and Electronic Transportation Engineering Corporation (dba ECOtality) for electric vehicle public charging station on City owned or controlled property and allocate $10,000 from the City’s General fund reserve to support pilot project implementations.

2011-10-12 City Item #06 - Charging Site Host Agreement with Electronic Transportation Engineering Corp
http://encinitas.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=5&event_id=5&meta_id=21221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, it does give us a taste of the negotiations and arrangements that go on before we can see a public charger appear. If I represented ECOtality, I'd mention that, and not make it a mystery.

Back