What is going to be your next EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
We have gone from the commuter crowd to the semi almost fully retired lifestyle so whatever car or truck it is it has to have access to the Supercharger network. We are doing more road trips.
I've given passing fancy to buying an upcoming small Tesla along with a small(er) cybertruck. I doubt I will though since the marginal improvement over my Model 3 is not enough, meaning I don't rent haulers often enough to keep one at home.

Well, unless something changes we are not going to see a smaller cybertruck. Its not that the the cybertruck is too big, its that my garage is too small. :) I suppose we could let it just sit outside but here is the problem with that. Weather. A day in the life of our car. :)

50772046262_35e5ed79e3_c.jpg

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has access to the Supercharger network in 4 years when we upgrade Jarvis (our model 3). Time will tell. And who knows, maybe the non Tesla DCFC will have improved by then. I can see that happening as well. That would open up the possibilities as well. I kinda like the I pace.

Cheers.

webeleafowners said:
A day in the life of our car. :)
Our cars live outside. NM does not get the 6+ inches of snow we enjoyed in Colorado but I now have a lonnng driveway to make up for it ;)

If you are interested in moving large volumes of snow, let me know and I'll photograph our super-shovel. It sort of reminds me of a heat pump: move stuff laterally, not up and down. And for all you wannabe snow newbies, I'll mention the law of snow: how much is not the question, what matters is whether you have a place to put it.

webeleafowners said:
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has access to the Supercharger network in 4 years when we upgrade Jarvis (our model 3). Time will tell. And who knows, maybe the non Tesla DCFC will have improved by then. I can see that happening as well. That would open up the possibilities as well. I kinda like the I pace.

I would be. Superchargers are a key advantage of Tesla.

Musk hasn't become the richest man in America by playing nice. No reason to lose this advantage over other EVs.

Hopefully the non-Tesla DCFC will continue to improve. Or Tesla will become the only seller of cars in North America. Kiss his butt or walk.

webeleafowners said:
We have gone from the commuter crowd to the semi almost fully retired lifestyle so whatever car or truck it is it has to have access to the Supercharger network. We are doing more road trips.

We are four years away from replacing the model 3 so who knows what is out there by then. Wish the Cybertruck would fit in my garage.

If we needed another commuter though I would definitely look at the Arriya. Looks nice.

I noticed you are in BC, are the non Tesla chargers more difficult to come by? Electrify America here in the states along with EV Go and Charge Point are making a pretty good push for DC fast charging IMHO.

My dealer says that deliveries are now planned for late 21, moved up from 2022.

Even though the Leaf is 2wd, it handled the foot of snow in Chicago today like a champ. The traction control was excellent given the conditions.

My car has been lousy in snow. Small inclines with snow are difficult to move in.
My tires are original and in excellent condition.

The Ariya coming in late 2021, sounds like slippage into 2022 and I tend not to believe car salesman.

alozzy said:
You need better tires - Hakkapeliitta R3s have transformed my LEAF into a snow beast!
It is a leased vehicle, being turned in this Oct. Have less than 22K miles on the car right now.
Will be the lowest turned in mileage car on lease I have ever had. All due to the pandemic.
The tires look excellent in terms of wear and tread, not buying any tires for this car.

alozzy said:
You need better tires - Hakkapeliitta R3s have transformed my LEAF into a snow beast!
I had the same experience with my Tesla Model 3. The car on OEM tyres was dangerous in the winter but became an excellent snow car with winter tyres.

I cannot help but think that leasing encourages stupid decisions, above and beyond the expenses and flagellation. OP sure gives an excellent example.

ejm4 said:
webeleafowners said:

We are four years away from replacing the model 3 so who knows what is out there by then. Wish the Cybertruck would fit in my garage.

If we needed another commuter though I would definitely look at the Arriya. Looks nice.

I noticed you are in BC, are the non Tesla chargers more difficult to come by? Electrify America here in the states along with EV Go and Charge Point are making a pretty good push for DC fast charging IMHO.

No. Here the Chademo/CCS locations outnumber the supercharger locations about 10 to 1 and the government has been doing a good job coordinating further expansion. But the majority are 50 KW with some being 100 kw and of course Electrify Canada putting in even faster sites.

But we also have to be able to travel from the BC interior to Palm Springs California and the wife’s Tesla and the Supercharger network is well suited to that.

Interesting question. Looking at making some changes this year.

We bought the Leaf SL+ looking for a relatively inexpensive car to learn about EVs. It’s been a fine car, and we like it a lot. But due to a series of medical problems we’re going to go down to 2 cars from 3. So both the roadster and the Leaf will be finding new homes. The GTI became a used xTerra for our son.

I am looking at a refresh (2021) model 3 LR AWD. We’ll see. Test drove one last weekend. Addresses many of my prior concerns.

I’ve been considering the Ariya, ID4, and Q4 Etron. Not sure I’m willing to wait. Don’t actually need another SUV. Want something fun to drive like the roadster but more practical like the Leaf as a second car, with advanced driver aids.

We’ll keep the Q5 as a tow vehicle until we sell the camper. Haven’t been using that much so it may go too.

I’ve been pondering this for a while. Feeling better having some direction.

frontrangeleaf said:

We bought the Leaf SL+ looking for a relatively inexpensive car to learn about EVs. It’s been a fine car, and we like it a lot. But due to a series of medical problems we’re going to go down to 2 cars from 3. So both the roadster and the Leaf will be finding new homes. The GTI became a used xTerra for our son.

I am looking at a refresh (2021) model 3 LR AWD. We’ll see. Test drove one last weekend. Addresses many of my prior concerns.

I’ve been considering the Ariya, ID4, and Q4 Etron. Not sure I’m willing to wait. Don’t actually need another SUV. Want something fun to drive like the roadster but more practical like the Leaf as a second car, with advanced driver aids.

We’ll keep the Q5 as a tow vehicle until we sell the camper. Haven’t been using that much so it may go too.

I consider myself fortunate (and a lot more lucky than smart) I never bought a diesel. It was probably mostly a case of being VW adverse in general.

What does the Model 3 offer you where the LEAF fails ? My guess is the charging network ...

SageBrush said:
frontrangeleaf said:

I consider myself fortunate (and a lot more lucky than smart) I never bought a diesel. It was probably mostly a case of being VW adverse in general.

What does the Model 3 offer you where the LEAF fails ? My guess is the charging network ...

Charging network
Range
Newer technology

Baltneu said:
SageBrush said:

Charging network
Range
Newer technology

I've owned a Tesla Model 3 for 3 years come June. I know the car pretty well ;)

I was asking for specifics from someone who already owns a new-ish LEAF and is thinking of getting rid of it. That is a fairly unusual case. He did mention 'driver aids.' If that is AP then I get it. If it is AWD -- not so much. Proper tyres are by far the best solution for winter driving, not AWD. I outfit my Model 3 LR with winter tyres each season and it is a fantastic winter car. I presume the LEAF would also do quite well with proper tyres.

Of course AWD+winter tyres is the best possible, but that would be a corner case need even in CO

frontrangeleaf said:

I wish Audi would hurry up with details on the Q4 etron, non sportback. Rumor is that it will start at 45k, and that would be super attractive with rebates and incentives. But will that be for a smaller battery pack or include the full size (84 kWh?) pack? Lots of questions I have. The Volvo XC40 ended up being a big disappointment and I've all but crossed that off my list, given its fat price tag a paltry range.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
But will that be for a smaller battery pack or include the full size (84 kWh?) pack?
I'll give you one guess

Yes, exactly, and so the next question is what will Audi charge for the "extended" pack.

so while the 45k entry price, if true, looks good... what will it REALLY cost?

danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
But will that be for a smaller battery pack or include the full size (84 kWh?) pack?
I'll give you one guess
Yes, exactly, and so the next question is what will Audi charge for the "extended" pack.
so while the 45k entry price, if true, looks good... what will it REALLY cost?
The Audi is a gussied up ID.4
https://www.electrive.com/2020/09/23/volkswagen-id-4-to-launch-for-e49950/

Euro = 1.2 USD
I'll guess Audi = ID.4 + $10k

So 50*1.2 + 10 = $70k for the 'nice' model
Cheaper versions later ... ... ... ... ...

SageBrush said:

[/quote]

Yea, I was in danger of a "clean diesel" years ago. Our little circle trying to drive a bit cleaner some tried diesel believing it was cleaner than a Prius (this was many years ago when Prius was new) and thinking biodiesel would make it even cleaner but few bothered to keep up with that. I went the Prius route, I kept waiting for a gosh darn plugin version but they didn't do it (they did eventually with weak range) but my speedy Honda got accordioned so I got the Prius.

Model 3 hmm I prefer a LEAF but the Model 3 has a little more range, battery cooling (I have redlined and rapidgated a plus on road trips), a Model 3 is faster (I don't need that), with a CHAdeMO adapter access to the same chargers I have plus the Supercharge network so yes more charging options, better self driver assist than propilot, better resale value.

Back