What does the antenna do?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtozer

Hi Folks, My Leaf roof antenna is bending under the weight of a car cover, and I'd like to remove it if it is not necessary. I don't listen to radio (preferring ipod), so I don't need an FM or XM radio antenna. But if it is important for something else, I'll leave it on. I removed it temporarily and couldn't find any difference: gps navigation worked fine, network updates seemed to work fine. Even XM and FM signals were still strong. What does the roof antenna do?

Thanks,
-JR
(I checked the owners manual and searched the forum but couldn't find the answer)

jrtozer said:
Hi Folks, My Leaf roof antenna is bending under the weight of a car cover, and I'd like to remove it if it is not necessary. I don't listen to radio (preferring ipod), so I don't need an FM or XM radio antenna. But if it is important for something else, I'll leave it on. I removed it temporarily and couldn't find any difference: gps navigation worked fine, network updates seemed to work fine. Even XM and FM signals were still strong. What does the roof antenna do?

Thanks,
-JR
(I checked the owners manual and searched the forum but couldn't find the answer)
The "rod" is for AM/FM per the service manual. The base has the XM antenna in it. If you keep it removed, I would recommend finding a plug or something to prevent water from settling and causing corrosion.

LEAFfan said:
Jr, when you find something that plugs the opening, please let me know. Thanks!

I found that a standard water bottle cage bolt screws into the hole perfectly.

P.S. Thanks for the definitive answer DarkStar.

-JR

I listen to a lot of AM radio and I removed the antenna one night as a test. It didn't reduce my AM reception (at least on the station I listen to out of LA) at all. Hmmmm. I heard some static pops when the contacts broke and reconnected on the antenna while I was playing with it, but nothing else.

"What does the antenna do?"

Actually, I've found the distinctive shape and color (blue) on top of the relatively high roof-line quite useful to spot my LEAF in a parking lot full of bloated SUVs and crossovers.

evmike said:
I assume the CarWings has a cell phone antenna somewhere?

Yes, but could be anywhere. Still wish I knew where/how they do the SIM card, etc. (It has to be part of a GSM/GPRS or UMTS network).

jrtozer said:
-JR

Thanks! How far down does it go? I found some aluminum ones for $1.49/pair. Do you think stainless steel ones would be better?

The Shark's Fin antennas are not suitable for AM or FM reception. If you care about neither, you don't need the antenna anyway. The car's using those type of antennas usually use the wires imbedded in the rear window for AM and FM reception.

gasmiser1 said:
I'd like to replace the stock Leaf antenna with a "Shark Fin" style found on BMWs and other European cars.

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, what brand works?

Link?

mogur said:
The Shark's Fin antennas are not suitable for AM or FM reception. If you care about neither, you don't need the antenna anyway. The car's using those type of antennas usually use the wires imbedded in the rear window for AM and FM reception.
----------------------------------
Ok. Thanks. Good to know. I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut a hole into my new car cover (It's a more universal design-not Leaf specific).

LEAFfan said:
jrtozer said:
-JR

Thanks! How far down does it go? I found some aluminum ones for $1.49/pair. Do you think stainless steel ones would be better?

My bolt is less than half inch long, and it screwed all the way to the head of the bold (covering the opening nicely). Don't know if mine were aluminum or stainless - either should resist corrosion though, I think.

Back