What charge level recommended for leave Leaf in the garage in winter for short period of time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanxushen

If the leaf would be left in the Garage for short period of time in cold winter, what is the recommended Charging level I should left it on?

Many thanks

seanxushen said:
If the leaf would be left in the Garage for short period of time in cold winter, what is the recommended Charging level I should left it on?

Many thanks

The best for your battery would be to keep it between 30 - 50%

You also need to define "cold" and "Winter" and give the year of the car, I'm afraid. If the battery warmer found on 2013 and later (and maybe on the earlier Leaf with Cold Weather Package?) comes on, then it's best if the car has at least 50% charge in the pack, and not more than 75% or so. The warmer only comes on in single digit (Fahrenheit temps), though.

LeftieBiker said:
You also need to define "cold" and "Winter" and give the year of the car, I'm afraid. If the battery warmer found on 2013 and later (and maybe on the earlier Leaf with Cold Weather Package?) comes on, then it's best if the car has at least 50% charge in the pack, and not more than 75% or so. The warmer only comes on in single digit (Fahrenheit temps), though.

I am in Toronto, the forecast for next 20 days will never go to single digit F. (Normally could be, but not this year).

Do you have access to a 12V battery charger like a Battery Tender Plus? For >5 days idle, I would leave my Leaf 12V battery connected to a smart or float charger. It will extend your 12V battery life and also greatly increase the odds that you will be able to drive away when you return.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0156-Charger-Model/dp/B000NCOKQK

Bob

Yes, the battery tender is a very good precaution. It isn't absolutely necessary if the car isn't plugged in and isn't running something like a Bluetooth OBII reader in the diagnostic port for Leaf Spy, but I'd at least make sure the 12 volt battery is fully charged before you leave.

Back