Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
Amp Hours now up to 61.63. CAP now up to 93.02%. Cell display now all green and balanced looking. I'll continue to monitor after an overnight charge and balance opportunity.
I thought a lot of the 2013s had Ahrs over 66. I measured one here a month ago at 67.36. Temperature could be a factor, but that is a big difference. It would be good if you could compare with another 2013 in your area.

Noticed in the Sunday afternoon flyers in the Sunday paper that Electronic Express have a no name 4gb 7" android tablet discounted to $69.99. Sc75mid is the item #.

No idea if it any good or not.

nogajim said:
Boomer23 said:
Amp Hours now up to 61.63. CAP now up to 93.02%. Cell display now all green and balanced looking. I'll continue to monitor after an overnight charge and balance opportunity.
I thought a lot of the 2013s had Ahrs over 66. I measured one here a month ago at 67.36. Temperature could be a factor, but that is a big difference. It would be good if you could compare with another 2013 in your area.

I highly doubt that anyone with a 2013 in the Phoenix area will show 66 AH. Mine was 63AH, and now is 61. I tested another 2013 in early May and it was 61. I'll have to check again and see what it is now.

LEAFfan said:
nogajim said:
Boomer23 said:

I highly doubt that anyone with a 2013 in the Phoenix area will show 66 AH. Mine was 63AH, and now is 61. I tested another 2013 in early May and it was 61. I'll have to check again and see what it is now.

Capacity seems to be growing with a little time and miles driven on my new 2013. After driving the car down to about 31% SOC, readings are now AH of 63.25 and CAP of 95.46%. I'm planning drive it down to LBW tonight and then do an 80% charge overnight without a stop timer. I'm curious to see the Gids at 80% and also the AH number after that charge.

I'm hoping to see the Amp Hours continue to rise with a few days of driving and charging. Hopefully this will be a success story and instructive to those using the ELM/Android app to evaluate the batteries on their new LEAFs at dealers.

Here's a pic after today's 45 or so miles of driving.

Attachments

• June 16 ELM 1.jpg
    June 16 ELM 1.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 128
Boomer23 said:
Capacity seems to be growing with a little time and miles driven on my new 2013.
Boomer, did you trade up to a 2013? Congrats, if that's the case. Look forward to some additional data from your vehicle.

surfingslovak said:
Boomer23 said:
Capacity seems to be growing with a little time and miles driven on my new 2013.
Boomer, did you trade up to a 2013? Congrats, if that's the case. Look forward to some additional data from your vehicle.

I did, George. I'll comment on it a lot as time goes by.

garygid said:
boomer,
Perhaps strange that you have so many shunts ON?

Yes, Gary. Similar display when I first plugged in the ELM at the dealership after the car was charged to 100%. I'm hoping that it's an indication that the battery and the BMS are still "settling in". At other times, I've seen a more "normal" display with only a few red bars or even none.

Ok, since the user documentation doesn't cover it, I'll ask.....

What values do I have to change in the app settings to make the application specific to my 2013 SV?

This morning I had 292 'Gids after a 100% charge with time for balancing. If I change the Amp Hour setting nothing seems to change. What is needed to make this work?

Also, why does the 12V setting not seem to remain even after I enabled the "set" radio button?

I am running v25

Thanks!

bradbissell said:
Ok, since the user documentation doesn't cover it, I'll ask.....

What values do I have to change in the app settings to make the application specific to my 2013 SV?

This morning I had 292 'Gids after a 100% charge with time for balancing. If I change the Amp Hour setting nothing seems to change. What is needed to make this work?

Also, why does the 12V setting not seem to remain even after I enabled the "set" radio button?

I am running v25

Thanks!
'Gids is calculated based on current battery energy level. It has nothing to do with the maximum Amp Hours you set. It reads the AHrs the battery can currently hold and the SOC from the Leaf and multiplies the two by the nominal battery voltage value to get current kWh in the battery then divides by 80 to get 'gids. So you really can not change the 'Gids value.

You don't give me enough information on the 12v issue. The correct procedure to calibrate the ELM is to read the battery voltage with a meter then enter the 4 digit value (xx.xx) into the voltage field and check the set box. Then exit the settings screen and exit the program. When you start the app again the voltage reading should match what you entered but will only show xx.x. If this is not the case then try again. Most important you need to be connected to the ELM to do any of this otherwise you are just looking at saved data which can not be changed until you connect to the Leaf again.

Boomer23 said:
LEAFfan said:
Boomer23 said:

Capacity seems to be growing with a little time and miles driven on my new 2013. After driving the car down to about 31% SOC, readings are now AH of 63.25 and CAP of 95.46%. I'm planning drive it down to LBW tonight and then do an 80% charge overnight without a stop timer. I'm curious to see the Gids at 80% and also the AH number after that charge.

I'm hoping to see the Amp Hours continue to rise with a few days of driving and charging. Hopefully this will be a success story and instructive to those using the ELM/Android app to evaluate the batteries on their new LEAFs at dealers.

Here's a pic after today's 45 or so miles of driving.

Morning readings after an 80% charge showed 218 Gids, 77.5% Gids, 79.0% SOC by Gidmeter, 63.25 AH and 95.52% CAP. So there's been little change in my battery health after an 80% charge and cycle down to LBW, which occurred at 50 Gids and, surprisingly, two bars of charge. I'm starting to get resigned that this new pack will max at around this capacity, and though I'm not upset, I'm rather disappointed.

Turbo3, thanks for the help. I was not exiting the app after setting the 12V value, so I think the app got confused since I am using the Setting Profiles app to kill the app and turn off Bluetooth when I turn off my car. This limits the possibility that I will run down the 12V battery or my display (phone) battery.

So the max amp hr setting is used in setting the capacity value? Basically you adjust the value after a 100% charge so capacity = 100% on a relatively new car.

Also, I feel like there was a disconnect between some of the values on screen 4 and the other screens. I'll check again in the morning after a 100% charge.

Again, Turbo3 thanks for writing this app. Very helpful.

Boomer23 said:
Morning readings after an 80% charge showed 218 Gids, 77.5% Gids,

79.0% SOC by Gidmeter,

63.25 AH and 95.52% CAP. So there's been little change in my battery health after an 80% charge and cycle down to LBW, which occurred at 50 Gids and, surprisingly, two bars of charge. I'm starting to get resigned that this new pack will max at around this capacity, and though I'm not upset, I'm rather disappointed.
I would feel real disappointed as well, because these readings are not that much better than my own 2011 LEAF, which, after two full years and 21K miles in a somewhat warmer climate, is showing 74.3% SOC by Gidmeter at 80% charge (but this reading has begun dropping again).

Is it possible this car sat on the dealer's lot in the hot sun at full charge ?

I see battery temperatures of 69, 79, and 88 F on your screen snapshots taken at different times.

Perhaps you could try to get your battery extra cool for a few nights to "heal" it. I know you like to get all your charge during Super Off Peak 12M-6AM, but you could try starting the charge early so that it is done by 1 am. Set up a fan aimed under the car. Based upon my experience, it is difficult to cool the battery this way, but it might be worth a try.

In any case I understand you have leather, the faster charger, and a lower lease payment as consolation.

Yeah, it seems very low compared to my 2 1/2 year old, 34K mile vehicle as well.

tbleakne said:
I would feel real disappointed as well, because these readings are not that much better than my own 2011 LEAF, which, after two full years and 21K miles in a somewhat warmer climate, is showing 74.3% SOC by Gidmeter at 80% charge (but this reading has begun dropping again).

tbleakne said:
Boomer23 said:
Morning readings after an 80% charge showed 218 Gids, 77.5% Gids,

79.0% SOC by Gidmeter,

63.25 AH and 95.52% CAP. So there's been little change in my battery health after an 80% charge and cycle down to LBW, which occurred at 50 Gids and, surprisingly, two bars of charge. I'm starting to get resigned that this new pack will max at around this capacity, and though I'm not upset, I'm rather disappointed.

Is it possible this car sat on the dealer's lot in the hot sun at full charge ?

I see battery temperatures of 69, 79, and 88 F on your screen snapshots taken at different times.

Perhaps you could try to get your battery extra cool for a few nights to "heal" it. I know you like to get all your charge during Super Off Peak 12M-6AM, but you could try starting the charge early so that it is done by 1 am. Set up a fan aimed under the car. Based upon my experience, it is difficult to cool the battery this way, but it might be worth a try.

In any case I understand you have leather, the faster charger, and a lower lease payment as consolation.

It's entirely possible that it sat at full charge for a while. The original dealer it was delivered to was apparently in Buena Park. Connell got it for me in a dealer trade. The invoice paperwork said it had been delivered in mid-May. So it had perhaps three weeks to a month at the Buena Park dealer. The SOC during that period is completely unknown, but the car had 88 miles on it.

But it's worse than you say, tbleakne, because when I say 79% SOC, I don't mean 79% Gids, I mean 79% SOC by Gidmeter. The Gid percent at 80% charge was 77.5%, which is 218 Gids. What is your Gid reading at 80% charge and your AH reading from the app? On my old 2011 LEAF, I was seeing 200 Gids at 80% charge. Gids at full charge were 267, which sounds much better, since it's 5% of 281 Gids.

Hopefully this is a continuing saga and the pack will improve as it settles in with the BMS.

It does beg the question, however, of what does one do when you are picking up your new car and the ELM327 app shows only 61 AH? Do we reject the car based on that reading? For my car, that number has increased from 60.89 AH to 63.25 in two days of charge cycling. Does it have more gains in AH to make? Stay tuned.

Hi Turbo3,

Question about your android app. I have it running on my Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.3.xxx) to the ELM327 mini OBD unit. Works like a charm!

Question is: why does my phone buzz/vibrate four times every time I start the app? This happens whether the phone is silenced or not. Is there anything I can do with it? Thanks.

Regards, Bert

I have a question about the accuracy of the numbers displayed. I know that they are the LEAF's data, but does the WattHours reading really have an accuracy of 1 Wh? That would be amazing...

Here's the little run I did tonight. It's our anniversary (12 years) so we went to a restaurant on the coast, in Capitola. The trip there was all down hill and the car said 11.1 miles/kWh for 13.6 miles (1225 Wh). The trip back up the hill was at 2.6 miles/kWh for 13.5 miles (5192 Wh). These numbers sound about right to me, but the Android app reported 1658 Wh going down hill and 5799 Wh going up hill. It was high by 433 Wh (26.1%) going down the hill and 607 Wh (10.4%) going back up the hill.

So this is why I'm asking about the accuracy of the numbers displayed. It looks like the resolution is down to 1 Wh, but what is the accuracy of the number that's displayed

My dash Mi/kWh is all over the place. Rarely will it match up with the Wh used or the GIDs used. I would like to see Mi/kWh calculated from Wh used and GIDs used, so we can make since out of the readings. I have seen the dash Mi/kWh off by more than 1.5 Mii/kWh. When I drove Tony's San Diego Range Test route, my dash read 4.8 Mi/kWh, (when it should have been around 4.0 Mi/kWh) for the 79.9 mile drive, all conditions were the same.

JohnOver said:
I have a question about the accuracy of the numbers displayed. I know that they are the LEAF's data, but does the WattHours reading really have an accuracy of 1 Wh? That would be amazing...

Here's the little run I did tonight. It's our anniversary (12 years) so we went to a restaurant on the coast, in Capitola. The trip there was all down hill and the car said 11.1 miles/kWh for 13.6 miles (1225 Wh). The trip back up the hill was at 2.6 miles/kWh for 13.5 miles (5192 Wh). These numbers sound about right to me, but the Android app reported 1658 Wh going down hill and 5799 Wh going up hill. It was high by 433 Wh (26.1%) going down the hill and 607 Wh (10.4%) going back up the hill.

So this is why I'm asking about the accuracy of the numbers displayed. It looks like the resolution is down to 1 Wh, but what is the accuracy of the number that's displayed
The minimum Wh change that the numbers from the Leaf support is less than 0.03 Wh. The Leaf can report SOC changes to 1 part per million. I don't know if it actually does but that is the resolution of the SOC value I get.

Keep in mind that the Wh used is just the starting Wh value minus the current Wh value and does not mean the electric motor used or generated that much energy. Just that the battery level has changed. Some of the change in available energy could be due to temperature changes.

pchilds said:
My dash Mi/kWh is all over the place. Rarely will it match up with the Wh used or the GIDs used. I would like to see Mi/kWh calculated from Wh used and GIDs used, so we can make since out of the readings. I have seen the dash Mi/kWh off by more than 1.5 Mii/kWh. When I drove Tony's San Diego Range Test route, my dash read 4.8 Mi/kWh, (when it should have been around 4.0 Mi/kWh) for the 79.9 mile drive, all conditions were the same.

That's interesting. My 2011 was spot on and so is my 2013. I can X my m/kW h X 21 and know within a couple miles how far I can drive. For example, I drove 188 miles and my m/kW h was 8.8. That's damn good accuracy!

Back