Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
Turbo3 said:
4 Gids from my WattsLeft meter which is running at the same time through a Y cable.

Oh, ok. So will that help you make the 'Gids and 'Gids% more accurate?
batteryproblemmnl

My guess is that Jim tweaked the formula. The delta in turtle mode was pretty small (6 'Gids).

Version 0.24i and 0.24i-FS are up for testing.

Features
* Compiled using lastest version of B4A
* Added simple Battery Pack temperature readings in lower left panel
* Manual scaling is replaced by fully automatic font scaling on screen 4

If you see anything on screen 4 that does not look right please provide screenshot.

surfingslovak said:
LEAFfan said:
Turbo3 said:
4 Gids from my WattsLeft meter which is running at the same time through a Y cable.

Oh, ok. So will that help you make the 'Gids and 'Gids% more accurate?
batteryproblem

My guess is that Jim tweaked the formula. The delta in turtle mode was pretty small (6 'Gids).
No, same simple conversion as before. (remaining kWh/80='Gids)

Could someone add a few words on the wiki about how to get the latest test versions? I looked through what felt like fifty pages of this thread without success. Thanks. Received my hardware yesterday and installed v0.24 on my Nexus One. Fabulous!!

Suggestion:
A "Help" item on the menu to show a scroll of text
to answer the questions like how each displayed
value is derived, basic usage hints for each screen
(tap top to...), etc. would be nice. Perhaps showing
the text from a HelpBatt.txt file instead of having
the help compiled into the app?

I notice that with 0.24h the LEAF CAN Monitor is always running when it used to stop after hitting exit. Is that intentional? Need to test with 0.24i.

Still would like to see 'Gids modified to use this formula (details here):

GID = SOC% * 10 * (Ah / 65 * 0.3075) - 15

I suspect the current formula is fine on cars with 65 Ah+, but at least on mine with 58 Ah it diverges wildly at the low end.

Tested 0.23e Regen page with HTC one S.

1. Seems not supporting accelerator pedal off regen even Leaf bubble show regen.
2. Some times regen value is bigger then target value. :?: (T=11 R=14)
3. There is no regen in slow speed braking for 2011 Leaf. (One of the improvement for 2013?)

Thanks for the wonderful app.

drees said:
I notice that with 0.24h the LEAF CAN Monitor is always running when it used to stop after hitting exit. Is that intentional? Need to test with 0.24i.

Still would like to see 'Gids modified to use this formula (details here):

GID = SOC% * 10 * (Ah / 65 * 0.3075) - 15

I suspect the current formula is fine on cars with 65 Ah+, but at least on mine with 58 Ah it diverges wildly at the low end.
Just retested 0.24h and it shuts down the monitor for me. Did you use the Back buttom, Exit from the menu or did you just press the Home key. The Home key does not shut the app down so in that case the monitor will still be running.

ht2 said:
Tested 0.23e Regen page with HTC one S.

1. Seems not supporting accelerator pedal off regen even Leaf bubble show regen.
2. Some times regen value is bigger then target value. :?: (T=11 R=14)
3. There is no regen in slow speed braking for 2011 Leaf. (One of the improvement for 2013?)

Thanks for the wonderful app.
1. Version 0.23e does not show all regen just the amount of regen being generated when the brake pedal is pressed. The information is coming from a CAN message and that is the way Nissan programmed it so that is all I can show.
2. The units of T and R do not seem to be exactly the same. But those are the numbers that come from the CAN message so that is all I can show. Again Nissan programming.

We reverse enginner the CAN messages so we don't really know exactly what they mean. But we do see a cause and effect (press brake two numbers in massage change and one follows regen bubbles and the other follows how hard you press the brake. Units are unknown.

Tried 24i
After i exit, the icon remains in the status bar at the top, and i tried exiting with the back button, and the menu button. It does exit and i think it does dissconnect bluetooth, but i cant kill the app completely, even with task manager

jclemens said:
Tried 24i
After i exit, the icon remains in the status bar at the top, and i tried exiting with the back button, and the menu button. It does exit and i think it does dissconnect bluetooth, but i cant kill the app completely, even with task manager
Ok, I see my bug.

The shutdown service code is only executed if Bluetooth was disabled to start with and the app enabled it.

For now have Bluetooth off before starting app and on exit it will shutdown the service monitor.

It will be fixed in 0.24j.

Thanks for finding the problem.

Version 0.24j and 024j-FS are up for testing.

Features
* fix bug of not stopping service monitor on exit (if Bluetooth was enabled before app start)
* better messages on connection status
* auto-reconnect now works after Bluetooth link is lost. You should be able to leave the app running and when it can connect it will.
* removed the "FAIL Pause" option as fail messages are no longer written over the data. Message box will just switch to red then back to yellow while waiting for ELM or Leaf.

One more thing- If you leave Bluetooth on all the time you should cycle it off and on once before first running this app the first time to flush any bad connections from previous versions.

tested 24i today on my new phone. Noted a few things.. the whole exit and it pops back up again hit me... Also, on the 4th screen with the fancy graphics now.. the 3rd temp shows a large negative number that caused the 'line' to wrap instead of say '??'... Might I suggest that if the reading is really far out of whack or such, that you just put an N/A on it?

Turbo3 said:
For those with 2013 Leafs that are missing some temp sensors version 0.24k while have the correct code to handle that and display "n/a" instead of a large negative number.

thank ya sir. I should also note... I had it hooked up while charging at an L2 today, and the %SOC in the app was right in line with the dash SOC +/- a few decimal percents (.2, .3, whatever)..

garygid said:
The test versions are available through a button in Settings,
located at the bottom, in the Debug section.

You need a password for the first-time use.
Thanks!

... while charging at an L2 today, and the %SOC in the app
was right in line with the dash SOC +/- a few decimal percents (.2, .3, whatever)..
At a "100%" (full charge), the dash reads 100% "Fullness of Tank" (FOT), I believe,
but the real SOC should read somewhere around 95%, if the 2013 is similar to
the 2011 model.

However, a "charge to 80%" normally shows 80% real SOC in the 2011 model,
and I assume that same percentage is displayed by the 2013's FOT meter.

At the low end, does the FOT meter go to 0%, and when?

Back