Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
It seems like my trips aren't long enough to charge the phone from empty and I've left it on a couple times (With the screen on). I'm guessing there isn't a way to get the phone to automatically turn on when it has power from USB but maybe there is a software way to have it turn off when it no longer has power?

Check AutomateIt app on google market, it might be able to do what you want, I used it to switch modes when I put my phone into cradle.

QueenBee said:
Turbo3 said:
firetrax said:
I just wanted to check if the possibility to read "true" Gids from the EV-CAN is going to be implemented soon?
I have tested this function but it will not be released until middle of June.
Amazing, excellent, thanks for all this work!

This question is obviously not at all relevant for anyone that uses Android as their phone but for those who have a second Android device: What's your strategy for battery life?

It seems like my trips aren't long enough to charge the phone from empty and I've left it on a couple times (With the screen on). I'm guessing there isn't a way to get the phone to automatically turn on when it has power from USB but maybe there is a software way to have it turn off when it no longer has power?

A friend suggests airplane mode + bluetooth enabled would be good.

I'm using a second Android device. I have it in airplane mode all the time with Bluetooth turned off. I let the app turn the BT on when I start it up and then the app shuts down BT when I exit out of the app. When I'm done with my driving, I exit the app and then just put the phone in sleep/standby mode and leave it in the car. Battery stays good for several days this way.

Turbo3 said:
garygid said:
When scrolling the Settings page on the Kyocera Event,
things work well. Hiwever, on the Vizio Android tablet
(VTAB1008, with v3.2.1 OS), the "focus" automatically
moves to the highest data-entry field on the screen.

This new focus sets the text-entry cursor in the field,
and that apparently causes the virtual keyboard to
pop up, covering the bottom 40% of the screen.
Annoying, and not critical, but... annoying! :D
Is this something new with 0.24g? Is it going to the Shunts field?
Screenshot would help me understand.

Nothing much to see, since the Shunts field, or one of the two in DTE,
might have a text (thin vertical line) cursor, or none of them do.
If the Cursor appears in a (new) location, the keyboard comes on.
A touch-and-drag from high to low, or low to high, quickly
or slowly, seems to work OK.

But, a short upward "flick" almost always puts the Cursor into
some text-entry field, and the keyboard is displayed.
I am wanting to look, not to enter text.

Flicks, swipes, and drags all seem to work OK on the Event.

Version 0.24h-FS is up on DropBox. (0.24h version also now available, non-full screen)

Features
- Menu item "Select OBDII" is always there but if BT is disabled you will get a message if you try to select it.
- Screen 4 - Smaller font for bar labels so you can see the ' in 'Gids.
- Screen 4 - label on button changed from "COUNTER" to "RESET"
- Application no longer is killed on exit. Android does not like apps to kill themselves and will restart them when you don't want them to. Solution was to always have app in memory once started (unless OS decides to kill it). When you think you are exiting the app the app just goes to sleep and shuts everything down (service stopped). This took many many tries to understand how to keep the app from restarting just because you rotated the screen while in settings.

QueenBee said:
Turbo3 said:
firetrax said:
I just wanted to check if the possibility to read "true" Gids from the EV-CAN is going to be implemented soon?
I have tested this function but it will not be released until middle of June.
Amazing, excellent, thanks for all this work!

This question is obviously not at all relevant for anyone that uses Android as their phone but for those who have a second Android device: What's your strategy for battery life?

A friend suggests airplane mode + bluetooth enabled would be good.

I found that a relatively short timeout for the screen will save battery when the Battery app is closed.

Disable the lockscreen and when the LEAF powers up it 'wakes' the phone up and just press the Battery icon.

Just downloaded v24h non FS

Screen 4 is great, and it has all the information that screen 3 has, so why keep screen 3?

When turning on the app without the leaf, the red button that says "not connected" only has the "not" visible while in portrait mode. Not sure if this needs to be fixed.
Another small thing that is not important. The 12V reading on screen 4 is white, not so easy to read, vs screen 3 it is black. This is with the default color settings.

- Application no longer is killed on exit. Android does not like apps to kill themselves and will restart them when you don't want them to. Solution was to always have app in memory once started (unless OS decides to kill it). When you think you are exiting the app the app just goes to sleep and shuts everything down (service stopped). This took many many tries to understand how to keep the app from restarting just because you rotated the screen while in settings.

Is this cure worse than the disease?
Error messages like "unfortunately the LEAF Battery app quit"
or something similar...

Usually Android apps do have three kinds of exits, I think:

1. The Return button, where they might completely go away,
or they might remain running in the background, right?

2. The Home button where they are put to "sleep" and can be
woken up (and they resume execution where they left of)
by re-"starting" the app. The system knows it was sleeping.

3. Some internal Exit function where they can completely quit.

The app (before 24h) would appear to Quit nicely, unless the
Settings rotated, presumably starting a second Settings process
without killing the first, or something like that.

Now, with 24h, the app doesn't seem to quit cleanly, at least
the first several times it runs. On the Event, the system seems
to learn how to stop the app... is that possible?

There should be a clean way to Exit an app without
error messages. Maybe it is a bug in B4A?

Returning to the graphics topic...
Is it possible to nicely show where those 4 leaf temperature sensors are on picture of the car or battery and show where those temperatures are taken? That would be really cool...

UkrainianKozak said:
Returning to the graphics topic...
Is it possible to nicely show where those 4 leaf temperature sensors are on picture of the car or battery and show where those temperatures are taken? That would be really cool...

+1! T1 is always highest (94 now) and T4 is always lowest (89F now) with a 5F difference.

jclemens said:
Just downloaded v24h non FS

Screen 4 is great, and it has all the information that screen 3 has, so why keep screen 3?

When turning on the app without the leaf, the red button that says "not connected" only has the "not" visible while in portrait mode. Not sure if this needs to be fixed.
Another small thing that is not important. The 12V reading on screen 4 is white, not so easy to read, vs screen 3 it is black. This is with the default color settings.

Screen 4 does NOT have BTs and screen 3 is much easier to read without all the clutter.

Here's some feedback for 0.24h on Galaxy S3:
1. Seems like I hit some bug twice already when I can't get the last data when off-line. (screenshot attached). Not sure exactly when it happens, as most of the time I can access last data, but after that happens I need to reconnect to the car to get the data in again. If I'm not mistaken what I did last time it happened is this sequence: Turned off the car, move out bluetooth range (Maybe phone went into lock screen at that point), hit pause, than hit power button to turn off the screen. After some time, turned it on, unlocked and had the attached screenshot as a result.

Screenshot_2013-05-24-09-16-15.png

2. Screen flips became noticeably more sluggish compared to previous versions, sometimes taking up to a second to show next page after swiping.
3. There's an empty space in bottom left corner of the 4th page, is it reserved for something? Would be good to add a temperature widget over there (something like second picture, but nicer :) )...

batt.png

4. For the fourth screen numbers seem kind of disconnected from gauges... I think it would be nicer to get the number near the bar that it represents.
5. Maybe add some customization for the big number on top. Someone cares about Gids, someone about SOC%, someone about DTE, and someone about temperature. so making a customizable value for the prime screen real estate would be awesome.

Nice night mode thing really like it.
Overall still feel like a child playing and enjoying the app... I think this solution totally beats Gary's and Ingineer's, fast evolving and many times cheaper... Maybe we should start making ELM327 dongles with EV-CAN wired by default so we can get more info to the masses :)
Will I get more info from current app if I rewire the dongle?
Night mode

Turbo3 said:
Since you have it in "Paused" mode you have disabled any updates to the screen. Release it from pause mode and it should update the screen. At least that is what it looks like from the screen shot.

Yes, you are right, hitting the pause button brings up the last data back from that black screen, but it's kind of confusing... I can see the data in pause right after I pause and turn off the screen and then turn it back on, but after some time I don't see it... I did not notice the app behaving like this in previous versions.

This morning I tried to connect using v24h, but it wasn't working, it would hang or something. (would connect, but wouldn't pull any data)
I downgraded back to 24g without restarting anything (including car or obd2) and it connected fine.

Tonight I decided to see how far I could go before getting Turtle since the Leaf was already down to 14 gids. So I went round and round the block until the Turtle symbol finally came on at 4 gids.

leafbat024ha.png

Turbo3 said:
Tonight I decided to see how far I could go before getting Turtle since the Leaf was already down to 14 gids. So I went round and round the block until the Turtle symbol finally came on at 4 gids.

leafbat024ha.png

4 'Gids or 4 Gids?

Back