Up Front Cooling Fan?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectriCute

I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I started up the car yesterday, I noticed that the fan came on. I'm not sure if that is normal or not. Should the fan switch on only when needed, and not from a cold start? I didn't notice this before as I always had all doors closed, but I noticed it when I started the car with my drivers door open inside the car port. I'm now concerned that perhaps something has been changed as I had a dash can hard wired, Could that be related to the problem? Thanks.

Edit: All is fine. I'm definitely suffering from new car paranoia. I'm the type of person that can't let something go without finding a solution. Anyway, after some research, I found out that the cooling fan under the hood, or bonnet, as some of you good folk say, for the A/C is rather loud. So, I go out to the car, 4:30am 😁, and found out that it was the A/C fan. I shut off the climate control, and all things became quit again. Whew, that was a relief. I am glad, though, that I wasn't dealing with a car that had a hopped up supercharged V8 with loud rumbling mufflers, as I'm sure the neighbors would have come out and strung me up. hahaha

I can't remember what year/model you got, but if it has the heat-pump, those 2 fans run for both the AC and Heat. During the summer, the fans run to blow air over the heat exchange to cool the cabin, during the winter time, the same process is used to bring heat into the cabin (AC in reverse). The fans have two modes, low and high. On low mode, they are quiet, the pump is louder than the fans most often. During really cold or hot times, they can switch on high, much louder, but needed to circulate more air for the heat exchange. The air flow is from the front of the Leaf out both front wheel wells if you ever wonder where the hot/cold air goes afterwards.

Yeah, an enclosed area will reflect the sound and make it appear to be much louder. Unless the sounds are other than fan + pump, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people will mistake that sound for ICE on the streets because it's similar to what you hear when the ICE is running it's AC system. The same people will think you are running the AC in the winter time :? but it's really just the heat-pump keeping you warm. :lol:

knightmb said:
I can't remember what year/model you got, but if it has the heat-pump, those 2 fans run for both the AC and Heat. During the summer, the fans run to blow air over the heat exchange to cool the cabin, during the winter time, the same process is used to bring heat into the cabin (AC in reverse). The fans have two modes, low and high. On low mode, they are quiet, the pump is louder than the fans most often. During really cold or hot times, they can switch on high, much louder, but needed to circulate more air for the heat exchange. The air flow is from the front of the Leaf out both front wheel wells if you ever wonder where the hot/cold air goes afterwards.

Yeah, an enclosed area will reflect the sound and make it appear to be much louder. Unless the sounds are other than fan + pump, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people will mistake that sound for ICE on the streets because it's similar to what you hear when the ICE is running it's AC system. The same people will think you are running the AC in the winter time :? but it's really just the heat-pump keeping you warm. :lol:

I appreciate the information you provided. Thank you. Tell you what, when I heard that loud fan going from a cold start, it sure had me worried.

LeftieBiker said:
A parked leaf with heat pump running will sound very much like a quiet four cylinder ICE idling.

It sure does. Too bad they couldn't add an electronic sound to it, like they did for backing up and slow forward, so it sounds like a rumbling V8, and not a little 4 banger. 😂

Back