Unpluging the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evPark1.jpg

evPark2.jpg

Well ??
Call it "self fulfilling prophecy" . . . yesterday it happened. The EV mini cooper got ICED'd by a Volt. I know it's not going to be ME that makes anything out of it. If I did say anything, the next thing I know is that I'd find that I'm kicked out of the premier parking structure alltogether ... walking a 1/2 mile from the next closest parking structure (in the rain) ... and that'd be the end of it.
Our company has an extreamly nepotistic relationship with GM, and the red car is likely one being given for free to one of our high up mucky mucks.
I'm good.

:?

hill said:
The Volt driver thinks he’s doing a good thing by plugging in to save gas and reduce emissions. So does the guy on the bike. BEV, EREV, Plug-in Hybrid, to those of us steeped in the technical, we see a difference. The general public, and many new to plug-in vehicles, do not. I’m beginning to think EV parking should be in the least desirable spot possible.

The politics of public Opportunity Charging is going to be the next big hurtle for EVs. It seems destine to create friction. The answer lies with those in charge of transportation infrastructure and public planning. If cities don’t plan for this, it won’t be pretty.

Wasn’t ECOtality supposed to tackle public infrastructure? Where are they anyway?

KeiJidosha said:
hill said:
The Volt driver thinks he’s doing a good thing by plugging in to save gas and reduce emissions.
He IS doing a good thing. With an at work charge it's likely that he can commute without using ANY fossil fuels...The same thing us Leaf drivers are trying to accomplish.

Skywagon said:
In Arizona they cannot park in public charging stations displaying an "Electric Vehicle Parking Only" sign to begin with. There is a fine and they are subject to towing. That is because only EV's displaying an alt fuel plate can use those spaces. Arizona classifies the Volt as a hybrid and it is not eligible for the plate, along with carpool lane access.
Same in California.

If the sign says (CA 22551) a ZEV parking sticker is required, then Volts can't park at the charger.
Only BEVs and FCVs can get the stickers.
Volt, Plug-in Prius, Focus PHEV and so on are not eligible.

GeekEV said:
As far as etiquette goes, I personally wouldn't think twice about unplugging another car if, and only if, it gives an indication (as the Leaf and Volt do) of when the car is finished charging and it is, in fact, finished. No harm there, right? Though is tempting to say "I need it more" than a PHEV...

What indication does the Volt give when it's fully charged??

Jimmydreams said:
What indication does the Volt give when it's fully charged??
A single light on the dash (same as where the three blue lights are on the LEAF) either flashes short pulse in green (or, I think, the light may also be off). Solid Green -- charging; Long Flashing Green -- charging is delayed (timer); Solid Yellow -- charging system fault.

Better yet ... an SOC display with at least several segments (minimum 4; 3 on LEAF is a little too coarse). Since LEDs are cheap and don't use much power ... how about 5 (20% each) or even 10. Then the driver can add a Protocol Card with an indicator how soon the car may be unplugged (what minimum % charge he/she needs).

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf <== Uses TIME. But could easily add "Min. % Charge Complete". The TIME is the best; the onus is on the driver charging his/her car to compute the hour it needs to get to the desired %. But conditions may cause delays.

Not too much different than the apartment complexes with the coin-op laundry facilities. Come down to do a load only to find someone left their load in the machine.

Pipemajor said:
Not too much different than the apartment complexes with the coin-op laundry facilities. Come down to do a load only to find someone left their load in the machine.
I duno . . . IMO it's a stretch to equate being stranded 70 or 80 miles from home (maybe in a bad area ... in the middle of the night, too?) because a PHEV is juicing his PHEV, even though it can still run on gas . . . . with having to go back up a flight of stairs to do your laundry later at a later time.

That said, I DO use the courtesy protocol Plackard that someone posted (THANK YOU!), and think it's a GREAT idea.

EV or PHEV makes no difference: I wouldn't presume to decide that my need was greater than the need of the person who got to the plug first. We don't need a war for plugs between Leaf and Volt drivers. We need all EV and PHEV drivers working together to get more plugs.

I would unplug a car if...

I knew for sure it had finished charging. E.g., indicator lights whose meaning I understood. E.g., note in the window saying at what time (in the past) driver expected charging to be complete.

Driver agrees. E.g., he's nearby, we talk, and he says sure, take an hour to get you enough to reach your next plug and then plug me back in. E.g., note in the window with cell phone number, he tells me how to read cryptic LEDs, sympathizes with my story of why I need a charge, and agrees that the 60% he already has is plenty.

I had purchased an advance reservation for charging (Couloumb), and he either overstayed his reservation or came without a reservation. In this case I'd expect that the EVSE wouldn't give power anyway during my reservation period.

I think it will be viewed as rather rude to leave your car at a charging station without some clear indication when/if it could be unplugged or how to reach you, and extremely rude to do so after it's fully charged. Though the EV veteran drivers who are already familiar with charging station protocols will be a miniscule portion of the total EV driving population - I hope. I also think the great majority of charging station conflicts in the next few years will not be EV vs. EV or PHEV, but ICE cars parked there.

I hope the charging station directories will carry consumer feedback indicating the reliability of the station, including whether the owner is willing to enforce charging and parking protocol. E.g., if you knew that you could always count on a charge at Coco's restaurant while at Carrow's restaurant you'd as likely as not find the charging stations blocked by ICE cars and the restaurant manager uncaring, then where would you eat?

KeiJidosha said:
hill said:
The Volt driver thinks he’s doing a good thing by plugging in to save gas and reduce emissions. So does the guy on the bike. BEV, EREV, Plug-in Hybrid, to those of us steeped in the technical, we see a difference. The general public, and many new to plug-in vehicles, do not. I’m beginning to think EV parking should be in the least desirable spot possible.

Good point Kei, perhaps the EV parking should be the farthest away from the building entrance, the least convenient.
Supposed a guy in an electric bike comes along an unplugs your Leaf?.. you would not complain right?, he is greener than you.

Herm said:
KeiJidosha said:
hill said:

Good point Kei, perhaps the EV parking should be the farthest away from the building entrance, the least convenient.
Supposed a guy in an electric bike comes along an unplugs your Leaf?.. you would not complain right?, he is greener than you.
If it's before the paperclip time on ChargeProtocolCard card, I'd hope that he calls me. I may have enough charge to hit another spot on the way home/next destination, but not always. I don't get email when my charge stops.

BTY, like the Volt, an e-bike is a hybrid. you can also pedal it. That said, I'm still looking to work out an equitable solution with other E-hicle drivers. That’s why I use the ChargeProtocolCard, so as not to Bogart the charger.

Herm said:
True. And I know something greener than a Volt (EPA 60 MPG composite): a Nissan Altima with two carpool passengers gets 81 passenger miles per gallon and you get to use the carpool lane even without one of those HOV stickers.

But I still don't think the carpooling Altima should take an EV charging space :)

I don't know if anyone has said this on this thread or not yet....this is why 6.6kW charging will turn out to be so important - 2-3 hours and you're probably done on a 24kWh pack that isn't completely discharged. And that's not even bringing up affordable and plentiful L3 charging.

mwalsh said:
I don't know if anyone has said this on this thread or not yet....this is why 6.6kW charging will turn out to be so important - 2-3 hours and you're probably done on a 24kWh pack that isn't completely discharged. And that's not even bringing up affordable and plentiful L3 charging.
Agree. Slower charging exacerbates the issue. This applies to the Volt/iMiEV/Smart ED with 3.3kW charger as well. A 6.6kW on-board charger doubles the utility of the charge station.

mwalsh said:
I agree that faster charging and a universal fully charged indicator would allow a single evse to more easily serve two to four spaces. Would save some cost on having a plug at each spot.

Likewise power sharing would help. 30a available could have three J connectors off one box and automatically split the power if more than one connected.

mwalsh said:
And that's not even bringing up affordable and plentiful L3 charging.

If more EV will be on the road we need to move to DC QC to speed up the charging so you don't even need to leave.
For the Leaf 30min for 80% charging but most of the time not start from the empty.

Level 1: 120V Emergency charging.
Level 2: 240V Home charging.
Level 3: DC 480V Future public charging.

EV project is planning to install 310 DC QC Ports in 16 Major Cities.
http://www.theevproject.com/

I hope more car will have DC QC port and more organization will install DC quick charger.

Back