unintended consequences - frost on headlights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kballs

A side effect of cold LED headlights, they don't defrost themselves. Having a layer of frost makes them really ineffective and they are hard to scrape with a plastic ice scraper because of their shape. I tried to keep running the high beams last night to warm them up and they eventually melted but I had to get out and wipe the dirty "slurry" off. I'm wondering if I should just start keeping some de-icer spray and a rag in the car during the winter (wonder if that will damage the plastic covers over time though).

Hmmm ... how about trying a coating of Rain-X on them? Maybe it will make them slippery enough so the slop, etc. won't stick -- love that Rain-X on windshields beads off the light misty stuff so with a fresh coat you don't even need wipers. You'd want to avoid an ice scraper so as not to scratch what I'm sure is an expensive plastic lens ... worth a shot.

Good point. I've heard the new LED based traffic lights have the same problem. Since my car is garaged this probably won't ever be an issue for me unless we have bad weather come through while I'm at work. I wonder if it would be safe to poor water on the headlights? I know windshields will crack, not sure about plastic, though.

redLEAF said:
Hmmm ... how about trying a coating of Rain-X on them? Maybe it will make them slippery enough so the slop, etc. won't stick -- love that Rain-X on windshields beads off the light misty stuff so with a fresh coat you don't even need wipers. You'd want to avoid an ice scraper so as not to scratch what I'm sure is an expensive plastic lens ... worth a shot.

I don't think you're supposed to use Rain-X on plastic. I'm not sure about Aqua-Pel, either, which is the one I prefer (more expensive but lasts much longer).

If it IS safe for plastics, this would be a good option. I've noticed that while treated windows DO still frost up, it's not nearly as bad and comes off a lot easier.

A spray bottle of windshield washer fluid that is rated for very cold areas might be the way to go. Kind of like de-icer, but a little less potent. I would think that would be safe for the headlights.

Cut a whole onion, then rub the juice over the lens, mirrors, windshield, etc.

The sulphur in the juice is what keeps it free of ice. Saw this in a useful tips email I subscribe to, but haven't tried it since my car is garaged. Would like to hear if this works.

blorg said:
redLEAF said:

I don't think you're supposed to use Rain-X on plastic. I'm not sure about Aqua-Pel, either, which is the one I prefer (more expensive but lasts much longer).

If it IS safe for plastics, this would be a good option. I've noticed that while treated windows DO still frost up, it's not nearly as bad and comes off a lot easier.

A spray bottle of windshield washer fluid that is rated for very cold areas might be the way to go. Kind of like de-icer, but a little less potent. I would think that would be safe for the headlights.

Actually you're right on the regular windshield stuff but the bug & tar shield stuff is OK for plastic, the other stuff needs to be OK with mfg, I also have some stuff that's used on plastic back windows on convertibles to keep them from fogging so have a few things to try if this gets to be a problem this winter

I have seen some portable 12V space heaters with fan that have a long cord so they can be used to defrost the windshield; maybe that is something that can be used on the headlights.

I believe only the low beams are LED, so if you can run the high beams for a while they might be able to heat the assembly enough to defrost. Maybe worth a try.

DaveinOlyWA said:
nah. my neighbor has car with mini wipers on his headlights
So did my Volvo C70, which makes sense for cars designed for Scandinavian weather. I am reminded of those old Mercury radio ads where the salesman (Dieter?) asks "Mr. Weaver," the owner of a Mercury, if he would like to buy a "fine German automobile" and Mr. Weaver, of course is happy with his Mercury which is just as luxurious and not so exorbitantly priced. Weaver then asks Dieter why the headlights have wipers and Dieter replies, "Oh, Mr. Weaver, you neffer know ven you might get caught in a nocturnal locust storm." The writing on those ads was great. I never owned a Mercury but I am a bit sorry to see the brand disappear.

Back