Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that Nissan is saying that it is not a safety issue reeks of BS though... That may come back to bite them on the ass ala Toyota!

ENIAC said:
Reuters have also picked it up. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/11/nissan-leaf-idUSL3E7FB0BC20110411
Not really "news". We all knew of this two weeks ago. It's sort of "old news".

mogur said:
The fact that Nissan is saying that it is not a safety issue reeks of BS though... That may come back to bite them on the ass ala Toyota!

ENIAC said:
Reuters have also picked it up. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/11/nissan-leaf-idUSL3E7FB0BC20110411
Why do you think it is a safety issue?

I am a producer at CNBC and interested in speaking/emailing someone who was unable to restart after using the AC. You can reach me either by email [email protected] or can call me at (201) 735-3087.

jamesanne said:
If you see the warning indicator while waiting at a busy intersection, and attempt to turn the car OFF->ON, you would now be stuck in a less-than-safe situation, blocking traffic while waiting for a towtruck.

GroundLoop said:
jamesanne said:
If you see the warning indicator while waiting at a busy intersection, and attempt to turn the car OFF->ON, you would now be stuck in a less-than-safe situation, blocking traffic while waiting for a towtruck.
Turning off the car is what the operator does, not the car. If my ICE car's service, check engine, coolant, oil, battery, etc light comes on I don't shut the car off in a lane of traffic. Common sense would be to drive the car to a safe location and consult the owner’s manual or call customer service.

mreeder said:
I am a producer at CNBC and interested in speaking/emailing someone who was unable to restart after using the AC. You can reach me either by email [email protected] or can call me at (201) 735-3087.
If any of you decide to respond, please be prudent with what you report. :shock: It seems like the news media nowadays is more interested in destructive sensationalism than constructive reporting. All we need is for word to spread far and wide via newsfeeds, radio, TV, and print that the LEAF is a lemon, thus fulfilling the *&^%$#@! doomsday predictions of EV naysayers that it will fail. :evil:

Scenario: The light comes on while driving. You stop at a light and decide to reboot the car to see if it will go away (you haven't read this forum to understand the consequences of that). The car is then completely dead and stuck in the middle of a now-busy road. Joe Blow doesn't see that you are stopped in traffic that is now moving and rear ends you.

Anything that can make any car stall and not restart in unexpected ways is a safety issue in my book.

jamesanne said:
mogur said:

ENIAC said:

mogur said:
Scenario: The light comes on while driving. You stop at a light and decide to reboot the car to see if it will go away (you haven't read this forum to understand the consequences of that). The car is then completely dead and stuck in the middle of a now-busy road. Joe Blow doesn't see that you are stopped in traffic that is now moving and rear ends you.

Anything that can make any car stall and not restart in unexpected ways is a safety issue in my book.
BS. No one but an absolute i-d-i-o-t turns their car off in the middle of the road. Period. A safety issue is throttle, steering, brakes, airbags..something that can cause you to lose control of your vehicle, not the risk of being stranded. I'm beginning to question your motives in this.

garygid said:
I thought it was reported that replacing the firmware (presumably "C" with the older "B" version) is no longer being recommended.

It appears that this A/C-triggered "problem" occurs in version "B" (3NA0B).

So, we wait for more info from the Nissan techs.

Sorry folks, just got back in town. And after having my VIN#351 reprogrammed, it is version 3NA0B.....hmmmm. Now I'm nervous to run the A/C again. I've onlyl tested it once....successfully.

LindaK said:
Sorry folks, just got back in town. And after having my VIN#351 reprogrammed, it is version 3NA0B.....hmmmm. Now I'm nervous to run the A/C again. I've onlyl tested it once....successfully.
I wouldn't worry. We don't actually know if they are changing the version to fix this or not. The whole thread and poll on version numbers really came up with a whole lot of no conclusions in particular.

mogur said:

Reboot? Forget this forum, let's consult the owner's manual...
From page 2-16 EV system warning light
This light illuminates if there is a malfunction in the following systems. Contact a Nissan certified LEAF dealer. Traction motor, and inverter system, Charge port or on board charger, Li-ion battery system, Cooling system, Shift control system, Emergency shot off system is activated. See "emergency shot-off system" in the EV Overview" section.

I don't see anything about "rebooting" the car in a lane of traffic on a heavily traveled road that Joe Blow can crash into you on as the result of actions you took, not covered in the owner's manual. A reasonable person would pull off the road and evaluate what is occurring, consult available documentation (owner's manual), and possible use the included roadside assistance.
From page 6-4 Stopping the vehicle
1. Safely move the vehicle off the road and away from traffic...

I think you are missing the point:

There are currently less that 1000 leaf owners in the US. I would guess that almost all of these early adopters understand there will be gliches.
Nissan has all their E-mails.
Nissan has know about the symptoms and the consequences for two weeks now.

So some one has to explain to me why it would be so hard for Nissan to send out an E-mail to current owners that say something like:

We have identified a problem that may effect some owners (describe problem and symptoms owner will observe)
Please be aware that if you have this problem, the Leaf will not restart after you turn it off. It is safe to continue to drive the car to a location that is safe for you and you passengers. You can drive it directly to your dealer, or have it towed from the location you choose to stop.

So it's better for the owners who aren't reading the relevant threads on MNL to find out about the existence of the problem from a Reuters article that makes Nissan appear to be stumbling in the dark about the problem? With no advice for owners about how the best way to respond?

I do not disagree and neither, from what I can tell, does Nissan that there is a problem. I am only pointing out that common sense should guide a driver. Problems happen with cars every day and it is the responsibility of the driver to know how to handle it. There are multiple problems that could occur that would render a car (EV, PHEV, HEV, ICE) unable to restart. The driver is the person responsible for taking the best actions to avoid accidents, etc.
I will use an example from my ICE driving experience... My battery light came on one day. I drove to the side of the road and turned off the car. I opened the owner’s manual and it listed a series of issues related to voltage and charging. It said to have the car towed. I followed the instructions and had the car towed and repaired. End of story.
Here is some free helpful advice I learned a long time ago. Yellow light, drive cautiously to where you are going. Red light, pull over and stop the car as soon as possible.

charlie1300 said:

There are currently less that 1000 leaf owners in the US. I would guess that almost all of these early adopters understand there will be gliches.

So some one has to explain to me why it would be so hard for Nissan to send out an E-mail to current owners that say something like:

We have identified a problem that may effect some owners (describe problem and symptoms owner will observe)
Please be aware that if you have this problem, the Leaf will not restart after you turn it off. It is safe to continue to drive the car to a location that is safe for you and you passengers. You can drive it directly to your dealer, or have it towed from the location you choose to stop.

So it's better for the owners who aren't reading the relevant threads on MNL to find out about the existence of the problem from a Reuters article that makes Nissan appear to be stumbling in the dark about the problem? With no advice for owners about how the best way to respond?

+1
Either Nissan, the Dealer Network or the Media will be responding (and has) to these issues.
One you have 100% control, the second will follow, and the later is totally looking for the Negative HEADLINE!!!!

charlie1300 said:

I don't know how Nissan is handling all the delivered Leafs, but for my situation, my dealer called me and asked that I schedule an appointment for a software upgrade for my car. I did not call Nissan or my dealer, they called me! I would hope that this would be the case for all the cars that have been delivered, or at least all the cars that Nissan suspects of having this issue, and at the very least all the cars that have absolutely shown to have the issue. Perhaps I'm in an unsusual situation, but my dealer has done a good job of keeping me informed of this issue as it relates to my car.

BS. No one but an absolute i-d-i-o-t turns their car off in the middle of the road. [/quote]

Yeah...actually I've done that before, to clear a 'Check Engine' lamp scenario. But in my defense, I pretty well knew what the problem was, and was equally certain that my car would restart. :lol:

Right. Everyone always consults the owner's manual every time they have a problem with their car... If they can even find it! And certainly WHILE they are driving!

Human nature is to turn something off and back on - or just off - if suddenly confronted with a number of warnings. As soon as you do that you are toast as it will not restart.

ICE cars have been recalled in the past for less serious similar issues than this... At the very least, Nissan should have contacted every current owner to apprise them of the situation and advise of them of what Nissan is doing to correct it. So far, I'm not impressed with how Nissan has handled this, or more appropriately, not handled it, and I don't think it augers well for the future....

jamesanne said:
mogur said:

Reboot? Forget this forum, let's consult the owner's manual...
From page 2-16 EV system warning light
This light illuminates if there is a malfunction in the following systems. Contact a Nissan certified LEAF dealer. Traction motor, and inverter system, Charge port or on board charger, Li-ion battery system, Cooling system, Shift control system, Emergency shot off system is activated. See "emergency shot-off system" in the EV Overview" section.

I don't see anything about "rebooting" the car in a lane of traffic on a heavily traveled road that Joe Blow can crash into you on as the result of actions you took, not covered in the owner's manual. A reasonable person would pull off the road and evaluate what is occurring, consult available documentation (owner's manual), and possible use the included roadside assistance.
From page 6-4 Stopping the vehicle
1. Safely move the vehicle off the road and away from traffic...

Back