(Un)Official Mitsubishi (Cypress, CA) L3 Scheduling Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
That doesn't bode well for their longevity in the wild if it has been broken there already...
And maybe I was wrong to think there was no good reason for SAE to change the established DC connector standard (CHAdeMO) - if that awkward looking SAE plug actually turns out to be less trouble prone than CHAdeMO.

The folks from AeroVironment helped us with their charger when the drive tour was at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. They explained that you do it just like this, because the latch can break.... Then, he told us the connector costs $6,000 :eek: which seemingly could slow down the spread of inexpensive charging. Seems to me, if the connector is going to cost $6000, it should be possible to hire someone that can design a latch that works properly. :)

If true - I have a hard time believing that the connector costs 6 grand - the CHAdeMO standard is doomed!

gbarry42 said:
The folks from AeroVironment helped us with their charger when the drive tour was at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. They explained that you do it just like this, because the latch can break.... Then, he told us the connector costs $6,000

The DC fast charger IS BACK ON-LINE!

A new connector was installed on 12.20.2011.

Something strange did happen to the black handle on the connector where it could not latch to the car's charging port. Then it sounds like someone tried to force it and ended up breaking the black handle and leaving it on the ground. Maybe the person thought that they were helping by placing it on the ground, but it seemed to Mitsubishi that the user didn't care. It would have been best to go to the front desk at Mitsubishi to notify them of the problem so that we all keep a good relationship with Mitsubishi.

It's all good now though!

GotMyleaf said:
The DC fast charger IS BACK ON-LINE!

A new connector was installed on 12.20.2011.

Something strange did happen to the black handle on the connector where it could not latch to the car's charging port. Then it sounds like someone tried to force it and ended up breaking the black handle and leaving it on the ground. Maybe the person thought that they were helping by placing it on the ground, but it seemed to Mitsubishi that the user didn't care. It would have been best to go to the front desk at Mitsubishi to notify them of the problem so that we all keep a good relationship with Mitsubishi.

It's all good now though!

Thanks for the follow-up. It's been on my list for a couple of weeks now to email Dave Patterson and find out if it was fixed, but I've been ungodly busy.

I used the Mitsubishi QC on Saturday, 7 Jan 2012. It worked well.

It was not:
broken powered off, blocked, or locked.

However, there are still no USER INSTRUCTIONS posted,
and there is a REAL need for them.

The Japanese way is:
If you don't KNOW how to do it properly, then ask a wiser person for help.

The American way:
If you don't understand it, or get it to do what you want it to do by guessing or yelling, force it. If that doesn't work, bash it, smash it, or shoot it, so that it will never bother anybody else. Then, run away.

Note that this connector is desighed by Japanese, for Japanese.
Please read below, and be GENTLE.

1. See if the cable-door is unlocked.
If unlocked, a modest pull on the door's small metal handle should open the door, exposing the Chademo Plug.

2. Wake up the QC machine.
Not obvious, but one needs to touch the possibly-black touch-screen to wake it up and get the Welcome screen. If this does not work, the QC is probably Powered Off.

3. Insert the Chademo Plug into the car's mating socket.
CHECK that both connectors are clean, and free if debris. Note the black Release Button on the top of the Plug. The Black Lever (BL) under the Plug should be down, away from the Plug's White Handle (WH). If it is not, try pressing the Release Button. Insert the Plug's "large" round barrel straight into the car's socket - it should "lock" in place (very subtle). If you keep pushing straight in on the WH (to get the contacts to mesh), the (accordion-like) bellows should collapse and the Black Lever should come up. Or (perhaps often), one pulls up GENTLY on the BL until the internal contacts are locked in place (again, very subtle) Then, the BL should be "all the way" up (near the body of the Plug).

CAUTION: It is NOT necessary to FORCE anything. If you think you need to use anything other than GENTLE pressure, please GET HELP!!!

4. Start the QC machine.
The QC (and car) should detect the connection, and exchange information. The screen should invite you (I think) to press the START button (left of center, under the screen).

5. Wait while Charging.
The current (about 120 amps, on down) and Volts (around 350 to 420 volts) are displayed, along with the delivered Energy (kWh). Note the light on top of the Chademo Plug is Red.

6. Stop the Charging.
When you have charged as much as you care to, press the STOP button (to the right, under the screen, NOT the red Emergency OFF button at the machine's upper left corner) on the QC machine (press for about 2 seconds). The charging should stop, and the Red light on top of the Plug should turn Green.

7. Remove the Plug.
NOTE: This is the NON-OBVIOUS sequence.
Make SURE the light is Green. Press the Black Release Button to unlock the contacts, and the BL should swing down by itself as the bellows expand. In some cases it might be necessary to pull straight back GENTLY on the White Handle to get the contacts to open. THEN, press the Release Button AGAIN, to unlock the barrel of the Plug from the socket, and Gently pull the barrel straight back out of the car's socket.

8. Replace the Plug in the QC machine's holder.
Coil the cord if necessary to get it off the ground, check that the Plug is secure, and close the door.

9. Secure your car, and vacate the space to allow others to see (from a distance) that the QC is available.

Thanks for your Consideration.

Valdemar said:
The latest comment on plugshare states the charger is now for employees only. Anyone has details to share?

I really don't know why they ever offered it to the public to begin with. I'm sure that some noob breaking it and just running off probably sealed it for private use only.

Valdemar said:
The latest comment on plugshare states the charger is now for employees only. Anyone has details to share?

Hope this isn't true.

What seems to be needed here is some sort of required training, like having people get "checked out" on the use of the plug, and then get some card or something indicating they're qualified to use it.

garygid said:
I used the Mitsubishi QC on Saturday, 7 Jan 2012. It worked well.

It was not:
broken powered off, blocked, or locked.

However, there are still no USER INSTRUCTIONS posted,
and there is a REAL need for them.

The Japanese way is:
If you don't KNOW how to do it properly, then ask a wiser person for help.

The American way:
If you don't understand it, or get it to do what you want it to do by guessing or yelling, force it. If that doesn't work, bash it, smash it, or shoot it, so that it will never bother anybody else. Then, run away.

Note that this connector is desighed by Japanese, for Japanese.
Please read below, and be GENTLE.

1. See if the cable-door is unlocked.
If unlocked, a modest pull on the door's small metal handle should open the door, exposing the Chademo Plug.

2. Wake up the QC machine.
Not obvious, but one needs to touch the possibly-black touch-screen to wake it up and get the Welcome screen. If this does not work, the QC is probably Powered Off.

3. Insert the Chademo Plug into the car's mating socket.
CHECK that both connectors are clean, and free if debris. Note the black Release Button on the top of the Plug. The Black Lever (BL) under the Plug should be down, away from the Plug's White Handle (WH). If it is not, try pressing the Release Button. Insert the Plug's "large" round barrel straight into the car's socket - it should "lock" in place (very subtle). If you keep pushing straight in on the WH (to get the contacts to mesh), the (accordion-like) bellows should collapse and the Black Lever should come up. Or (perhaps often), one pulls up GENTLY on the BL until the internal contacts are locked in place (again, very subtle) Then, the BL should be "all the way" up (near the body of the Plug).

CAUTION: It is NOT necessary to FORCE anything. If you think you need to use anything other than GENTLE pressure, please GET HELP!!!

4. Start the QC machine.
The QC (and car) should detect the connection, and exchange information. The screen should invite you (I think) to press the START button (left of center, under the screen).

5. Wait while Charging.
The current (about 120 amps, on down) and Volts (around 350 to 420 volts) are displayed, along with the delivered Energy (kWh). Note the light on top of the Chademo Plug is Red.

6. Stop the Charging.
When you have charged as much as you care to, press the STOP button (to the right, under the screen, NOT the red Emergency OFF button at the machine's upper left corner) on the QC machine (press for about 2 seconds). The charging should stop, and the Red light on top of the Plug should turn Green.

7. Remove the Plug.
NOTE: This is the NON-OBVIOUS sequence.
Make SURE the light is Green. Press the Black Release Button to unlock the contacts, and the BL should swing down by itself as the bellows expand. In some cases it might be necessary to pull straight back GENTLY on the White Handle to get the contacts to open. THEN, press the Release Button AGAIN, to unlock the barrel of the Plug from the socket, and Gently pull the barrel straight back out of the car's socket.

8. Replace the Plug in the QC machine's holder.
Coil the cord if necessary to get it off the ground, check that the Plug is secure, and close the door.

9. Secure your car, and vacate the space to allow others to see (from a distance) that the QC is available.

Thanks for your Consideration.
By any chance, are you one of the Pythons in disguise?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUMPHREY: All right, settle down. Settle down. [clunk] Now, before I begin the lesson, will those of you who are playing in the match this afternoon move your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now,--

WYMER: Sir?

HUMPHREY: Yes, Wymer?

WYMER: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend, sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today, sir.

PUPILS: [chuckling]

WYMER: So, do I move my clothes down, or--

HUMPHREY: I do wish you'd listen, Wymer. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Mr. Viney that you've had your chit signed.

I appreciate Gary's directions for the Eaton QC, and intend to print a copy for the glove compartment. What should be second nature often isn't.

Its looks like the Black Lever is not really needed and confuses the user.. just set the handle at 90° to the contacts and push the connector in.. but you have to retain the unlocking button. Another option is to automate it, use a motor inside the handle to seat the contacts. Its a fixable problem.

I'm headed to Orange today by way of Mitsubishi in Cypress. I'm excited for my first L3! Assuming it's up and running, otherwise slow L1 in Orange for me.

While we were in Japan we saw a L3 charger at the Nissan Gallery in Tokyo/Ginza. It was just sitting in the show room between a Leaf and a GT-R and it was happily doing absolutely nothing. The Nissan lady was very excited when I told her I had a Leaf in California and seemed surprised to hear that there were no Nissan QCs in America.

Herm said:
Its looks like the Black Lever is not really needed and confuses the user.. just set the handle at 90° to the contacts and push the connector in.. but you have to retain the unlocking button. Another option is to automate it, use a motor inside the handle to seat the contacts. Its a fixable problem.
Agreed on the black lever, it seems unnecessary as well as susceptible to damage. This should be no more complicated than a gas pump fill nozzle, if not less. I can't see why you couldn't just push the connector onto the contacts and have it latch, then use the thumb release button. Or else use a single button/lever that controls latching - squeeze it, push connector into place and release. Charge, then squeeze it again while removing connector.

Back