Two LEAFs. Can a remote from one LEAF be programmed 2 both

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laalan

I have two LEAFS. It is a pain to carry two remotes.

I would like to have the one remote programmed to operate the second car. I have heard varying opinions about whether a given remote can work in two cars. My local locksmith seems to think that if you program the working remote from one leaf to operate a second leaf, it will no longer work in the first leaf.

Any thoughts? :?:

Update 8/31/11 Nissan Leaf customer service working diligently to get an answer. Tough question apparently.

Update 9/10/2011 Customer service indicates that the remote is programmed to match data in car.. Skeptical...

In my experience they are only capable of being linked to one vehicle at a time. This helps protect the different key codes for each vehicle. You wouldn't want someone else to be able to program to yours. I know this is extreme, but the remotes only have a single capability. If you are looking to get more clarification, you can consult Angie's List to find some places that can provide further advice. Or you could also consult the dealer for more special circumstances like this.

leafer12 said:
In my experience they are only capable of being linked to one vehicle at a time. This helps protect the different key codes for each vehicle. You wouldn't want someone else to be able to program to yours. I know this is extreme, but the remotes only have a single capability.

When you have a new remote made or 'keyed' to your vehicle then it is another key which is like someone else being able to program to your vehicle. What would be more useful is to have the two vehicles have the same key value so a single remote would work for both vehicles which should be possible by adding the function to the vehicle, not the remote key.

DarkStar said:
No, you can't use one remote on two vehicles due to "rolling codes." When you use a remote to unlock a car, the car sends an acknowledgment and the remote knows to send a different code the next time. This is so that someone can't "listen in" and replicate the code sent previously.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Rolling_code

And from the same wiki --
A typical implementation compares within the next 256 codes in case receiver missed some transmitted keypresses.

Granted some resynchronization would be needed just like for the different keyfobs for the same vehicle.

DarkStar said:
No, you can't use one remote on two vehicles due to "rolling codes." When you use a remote to unlock a car, the car sends an acknowledgment and the remote knows to send a different code the next time. This is so that someone can't "listen in" and replicate the code sent previously.

You didn't read that article right. There is no handshake and the car/opener transmits nothing. It just builds a list of the rolling codes that the paired remote would send after the last one it received. If the remote sends one of those codes, it remembers the new code it received for next time and triggers the action. Rolling codes would not prevent pairing with multiple cars.

davewill said:
DarkStar said:

You didn't read that article right. There is no handshake and the car/opener transmits nothing. It just builds a list of the rolling codes that the paired remote would send after the last one it received. If the remote sends one of those codes, it remembers the new code it received for next time and triggers the action. Rolling codes would not prevent pairing with multiple cars.
I provided a link to the Wikipedia page to attempt to provide additional information on the technology. You still can't pair a single remote with multiple vehicles.

It MIGHT be that the LEAF is programmed to accept the "new" remote, not the Remote being programmed for the LEAF.

Sure, the two LEAFs would (most likely) each have a different physical key (that happens to be stored in the Renote), but that physical key does not affect the operation of the RFID, I believe.

Ignoring the issue of the RF commands (generally unnecessary, and not needed to operate the LEAF) that can be sent from the Remote, the LEAF can be programmed to "react" to several RFID "fobs".

Quite possibly, one RFID (fob) could "activate" two or more LEAFs, IF each LEAF is programmed to accept the same RFID.

So, I vote that it could work, unless the RFID is also "programmed" to be "paired" to match a specific LEAF.

It could go either way, depending on how the car and fob are set up.

The best way to find out would be to Try It! Take the second car's fob in to the dealer and have them program it for the first car with the Consult tool. If it stops working with the first car, then you know.

I wouldn't bet either way. Both seem possible.

For those who want one fob that can control the Leaf and another vehicle, or a less expensive replacement, here is an option:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/30/keyless-rides-k2-poses-as-an-oem-compatible-car-remote-saves-y/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
For those who want one fob that can control the Leaf and another vehicle, or a less expensive replacement, here is an option:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/30/keyless-rides-k2-poses-as-an-oem-compatible-car-remote-saves-y/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that very helpful product link. Additional reading lead to another link which is rather disturbing research on the security of fobs in general. Reminds me of the man in the middle security attack.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/27037/page1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back