Two Key Fobs on the Same Keyring?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baumgrenze

Page 212 of the owner's manual says:

"Do not place the Intelligent Key near equipment that produces a magnetic field, such as a TV, audio
equipment, personal computers or cellular phone."

Since December 2011 I've kept the keyless entry fob for my '04 Prius and for my '12 Leaf on the same keyring.

Am I asking for trouble?

That asked, until I read this I had no qualms about putting my iPhone in the same pocket with my keys. My wife puts both in her purse most of the time. Is this a mistake or just a 'legal team' precaution that is reaching beyond reality?

I went to the manual hoping to find a way to reprogram the door unlocking process so that one push of the button would open all the doors, the way electronic locks worked before they got paranoid and way too smart for their own good.

If I understand the Leaf protocol, there are 'protections' against unlocking all the doors if you unlock one and do not unlock another or all within one minute. More than once I've fetched the window squeegee from the floor of the front passenger area, cleared the windows, and locked all the doors when trying to unlock the driver's door. I know, I've read the instructions. I need to push the door button twice if I really want to unlock all the doors. I guess it is less of a hassle than the requirement that I acknowledge CarWings every time I restart the car, even though it is my property. The proprietary attitude reminds me of Microsoft and software.

I carry both keys sometimes (2014 LEAF and 2011 Quest). If my wife is in the car, there are four keys.

No worries: The only time any fob is active is either when you push a button on the fob or on the car. As for the magnetic field warning, that is standard boilerplate that applies to stuff manufactured ages ago. I saw a demo on TV once where a guy put those shiny black "toy" magnets all over his iPhone and it worked just fine. I imagine that the fob would not be unduly affected, either.

If you read the warning at face value, you should never put the fob anywhere near your Leaf.

I sometimes put my key in the same pocket as my phone. It does seem to make it very difficult to lock the car from the outside using the button on the handle. I assume due to interference. But I don't think my wife had a problem when she had two fobs on the same ring in her purse.

Back