Trying to decide whether to "accept" software upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

With all the talk about range issues and "strange behavior" after recent software updates, I'm trying to decide whether to tell my dealer NOT to do any software updates when I take my Leaf in for the annual battery check next month. I've compared my versions to the baseline (in the Zoner thread) and found the following to be "old":

1) Boot Ware = 147
2) Application = 147
3) Bluetooth = C230
4) Voice recognition engine = 925-123-000
5) Voice recognition grammar = 00001080
6) Record data version = 00001026
7) Part number = 3NA0D
8) TCU software = 3NA0000626

Some caveats:
--never have any Bluetooth issues (get song info, etc.)
--don't use voice recognition
--no problems w/TCU (I believe 626 was the minimum "fix" version anyway)

So: should I or shouldn't I (upgrade)? Is the Boot Ware/Application stuff what controls most of the driving/gauge parameters (current version is listed as 157)?

I'll be interested in what people have to say about this as well. My car will be a year old next month and I'll need to take it in. I don't think anything has been done to it previously, since it sat unused in a parking lot for nearly 9 months before I purchased it.

There is no good reason not to get any of the available upgrades. Note, however, that the center display you referenced does not necessary show the version of software installed in the vehicle beyond that in the actual display and entertainment system in the stack...

TomT said:
There is no good reason not to get any of the available upgrades. Note, however, that the center display you referenced does not necessary show the version of software installed in the vehicle beyond that in the actual display and entertainment system in the stack...

Then that makes the question even harder to answer. How do we know what version of the "base" software we have? That is, whatever affects the GOM, drive train (like acel/decel), etc.?

Currently, without access to a Consult III+, you can't... That may change when the Leafscan comes out.

Stanton said:
TomT said:
Then that makes the question even harder to answer. How do we know what version of the "base" software we have? That is, whatever affects the GOM, drive train (like acel/decel), etc.?

Stanton said:
So: should I or shouldn't I (upgrade)? Is the Boot Ware/Application stuff what controls most of the driving/gauge parameters (current version is listed as 157)?
I don't think your bootware/app will get updated - I believe that 157 only ships on newer cars. Your TCU will get updated to 627, though, as part of the updates that were announced early this year.

There's really no reason not to have the update done and Nissan has gone out of their way to recommend that owners get the update.

TomT said:

IMO, if you want the changes that the update will give you, then get them. I looked at all the update changes including the fuel bar change, and decided that they weren't necessary nor did I need them.

drees said:
There's really no reason not to have the update done and Nissan has gone out of their way to recommend that owners get the update.
I proceeded with the update. Had it done during my battery check done a little over a month ago, and have not had any adverse consequences so far (nor really noticed anything improved).

LEAFfan said:
IMO, if you want the changes that the update will give you, then get them. I looked at all the update changes including the fuel bar change, and decided that they weren't necessary nor did I need them.
The TCU update from 626 to 627 does not change the way the fuel bars read from what anyone has been able to determine. Completely different than the early update way back somewhere around April or something of 2011.

TCU is the "telematics communications unit" and has nothing to do with the fuel bar/GOM logic, or any part of the general car behavior.

Boot Ware/Application is just part of the center Infotainment system. If you are not at 147+ there, CARWINGS reports bogus (lower) kWh usage to Nissan so all your reports will show ridiculous efficiency. (And the only way to get it updated is to apply the NTB-11-041 "telematics connection fix" from last year... it does not get updated any other way, including the 'voluntary recall' earlier this year. Your dealer will not do this old update without prodding.)

Stanton said:
With all the talk about range issues and "strange behavior" after recent software updates, I'm trying to decide whether to tell my dealer NOT to do any software updates when I take my Leaf in for the annual battery check next month.
Since failing to have any pending technical service bulletins (of which are indeed software updates) can invalidate your ability to make some types of warranty claims. With that said, there is really no reason to specifically decline dealer recommended service, especially service that come with no customer cost.

Back