Tracking trains?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scharlj

So there is a thread about tracking ships across the Pacific, but given that my car's estimated to leave LB on Monday (finally), I am wondering if anyone knows how to track trains.

Is there a way to track a train if I know departure city, arrival city, and departure date?

Now THAT would be awesome, and I could finally figure out why it takes 2 weeks by train from LB to Portland......2 weeks for 900 miles....give me a break

A bit of research revealed a schedule query for BNSF, the most likely transporter of cars from LA to Portland.

http://www.bnsf.com/bnsf.was6/goaltp/cntrl

I don't understand all the terms in there so I filled it out best I could. Assuming my car would be leaving LA at 9am on Monday (I have an estimated ship date of 5/9), this looks like the transit time will be 7 days, 6 hours.

If we assume the railcar leaves at 1pm instead, the trip will take 7 days, 2 hours. I am not sure why it would take less if it leaves later....

Still this is much less than the quoted 14 days, even if we add a day or two to unload in Portland, receive, and reload on a truck. So I am hopeful that if my car in fact ships on Monday, I should have it no later than 5/23. Fun fun fun!!!

scharlj said:
So there is a thread about tracking ships across the Pacific, but given that my car's estimated to leave LB on Monday (finally), I am wondering if anyone knows how to track trains.

Is there a way to track a train if I know departure city, arrival city, and departure date?

Now THAT would be awesome, and I could finally figure out why it takes 2 weeks by train from LB to Portland......2 weeks for 900 miles....give me a break
Good idea for a thread since many of us will be having our cars delivered by rail. My LEAF is in transit from Long Beach to Portland so that information was very useful. Thanks.

healy100 said:
My LEAF is in transit from Long Beach to Portland so that information was very useful. Thanks.

How do you know your car is in transit already? How long has it been in transit? I am wondering why my car wouldn't be on this load since it's been ready since 4/19. Thanks for making me hope, any info appreciated.

scharlj said:
healy100 said:
My LEAF is in transit from Long Beach to Portland so that information was very useful. Thanks.
How do you know your car is in transit already? How long has it been in transit? I am wondering why my car wouldn't be on this load since it's been ready since 4/19. Thanks for making me hope, any info appreciated.

Two things: I was told that when you get the 'delivery soon' email that's the day it is loaded on the train or truck. That's why I asked you scharlj if you had received that one yet. I received mine the morning of May 5th, so it was either loaded on the train to Portland then or the next morning. Also, the dealer in Edmonds said it only takes 12-14 days from LB to reach his dealership, not Portland.

So my email was titled "Delivery Update". Here is the text:

Hi , the estimated delivery date for your Nissan LEAF™ has been updated. Sign in to "my account" to see when your vehicle is now expected to arrive at your Nissan Dealer.

Is that the same thing? That day my DB ETD moved to the right by 1 week.

So 12-14 days to the PD is awesome, that would mean week after next instead of one more week like my DB says....here's to hoping. I'll for sure call CS on Monday to ask them if it has been shipped already.

Back