Tracking ships !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was intresting to hear from pre-sales at Nissian. I am in the Atlanta area:

Mr. Morris:

Jacksonville, FL usually serves as the port for vehicles destined for your LEAF dealer. Transit time from the port to the dealer is approximately 5 days once the vehicle is cleared to leave the marshalling yard.

Transit times and entry points can change but this is the most likely scenario at this time.

HighDesertDriver said:
I wonder if the sudden large break in VINs indicates the start of 2012 model year vehicles. Any insider knowledge out there?

The 2012 model year should be marked by the VIN changing from BT###### to CT###### at the end. See the Wikipedia VIN description for help in decoding it. The T in this case must mean the Oppama plant.

As to the jump in the VIN sequence? No clue.

nogajim said:
The Andromeda Spirit is sailing from Yokohama to LA. The Hoegh Inchon is sailing from Yokohama to Vancouver (as many do before going to LA.) and the Luna Spirit is sailing from Vancouver to LA. I would imagine at least one of them is carrying some Leafs. Judging by the delivery dates people are getting for 2012s, my guess is that ones on board would still be 2011s.
Let me know when they start coming in at Jax, Fla. That will be FL, Ga deliveries I think happening ;-) I am still pending Dec Delivery.

OK, so my Leaf delivery just changed from week of October 8, 2011 to week of October 18. I'd assumed that it would be already on a ship. Any idea what happened? Are any ships running late or having trouble? :?:

Thanks

OK. I've been searching through the site for awhile. I've found the marinetraffic.com site, but how does one determine which ship their Leaf is likely on?

Thanks.

relytgerg said:
OK. I've been searching through the site for awhile. I've found the marinetraffic.com site, but how does one determine which ship their Leaf is likely on?
A call to Customer Service may be the only way to know for sure, but I'm not sure even they know the name of the ship, so you may only get the date.

I tried unsuccessfully to figure out which ship ours was on, but perhaps you can build on my efforts. I had only one port (Long Beach) to research; your task may be enlarged with the reported addition of Jacksonville. I started with the guesstimated delivery date and backed it off by a presumed delivery span from the port. I then went to the Nissan shipping site and got a list of all their ships, ignoring the smaller ones which focus on Europe. Your experience with marinetracker.com may be better, but I used vesseltracker.com (sign in as a ship spotter) to see when the targeted ships last left port in Japan and to which port they were bound. Their location is then unreported until they arrive within range of the coastal tracking facilities. If you sign up for reporting on a particular ship, once it is in range you will begin getting ETAs for arrival, mooring, docking, etc.

Even then, it is only an educated guess if your VIN is aboard, but it was fun and educational to try. As it turned out, I was way behind the curve, and car was on the truck here before I was able to catch up with it.

relytgerg said:

Thanks.
In my case as I was on the first role out and I had direct connections to VIP's at Nissan. I was told my car was built and waiting to be loaded on a ship. Then what ship my car was on just after it was loaded.

Thanks for the info. I must admit, I'm a bit frustrated that there is not a more definitive way to track one's Leaf. Other Manufacturers provide this capability. Even over 10 years ago when I bought my PT Cruiser, the online community identified EASY ways to track the exact progress of the delivery. I remember surprising my dealer by telling him when the transport was going to arrive with my car.

Why doesn't Nissan provide this?

I guess I'll just keep telling myself, "Patience is a virtue!"

HighDesertDriver said:
relytgerg said:
A call to Customer Service may be the only way to know for sure, but I'm not sure even they know the name of the ship, so you may only get the date.

I tried unsuccessfully to figure out which ship ours was on, but perhaps you can build on my efforts. I had only one port (Long Beach) to research; your task may be enlarged with the reported addition of Jacksonville. I started with the guesstimated delivery date and backed it off by a presumed delivery span from the port. I then went to the Nissan shipping site and got a list of all their ships, ignoring the smaller ones which focus on Europe. Your experience with marinetracker.com may be better, but I used vesseltracker.com (sign in as a ship spotter) to see when the targeted ships last left port in Japan and to which port they were bound. Their location is then unreported until they arrive within range of the coastal tracking facilities. If you sign up for reporting on a particular ship, once it is in range you will begin getting ETAs for arrival, mooring, docking, etc.

Even then, it is only an educated guess if your VIN is aboard, but it was fun and educational to try. As it turned out, I was way behind the curve, and car was on the truck here before I was able to catch up with it.

I would like know how long does it take a ship to get to the jaxville port from Japan? They seem to carry close to 1500 cars and I am sure they are not all leaf's on them most likely. If a Dec delivery date and 30 day travel time time would put it leaving Japan in Nov at least for me?

Leaftogo1 said:
I would like know how long does it take a ship to get to the jaxville port from Japan? They seem to carry close to 1500 cars and I am sure they are not all leaf's on them most likely. If a Dec delivery date and 30 day travel time time would put it leaving Japan in Nov at least for me?
You'll still need to determine the nautical distance to Jacksonville, but the ships bound for Long Beach CA have averaged about 20 knots according to other posters on this forum.

For maximum ship capacities: http://www.nissancarrier.co.jp/en/ship_02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Note: the smaller "City of" ships seem to be dedicated to the European routes.)

HighDesertDriver said:
Leaftogo1 said:
You'll still need to determine the nautical distance to Jacksonville, but the ships bound for Long Beach CA have averaged about 20 knots according to other posters on this forum.

For maximum ship capacities: http://www.nissancarrier.co.jp/en/ship_02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Note: the smaller "City of" ships seem to be dedicated to the European routes.)

I've done more research on http://www.marinetraffic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and set up "my fleet" and "my notifications" there. Based on information in this thread, and the marinetraffic web site, here is what I think I know:
- Nissan Leaf's are likely to be on one of 19 vessels in Nissan's fleet. You can find the full list at http://www.nissancarrier.co.jp/en/ship_02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I ignored the smaller ships in the third section. Based on the available history, you could probably cut the list down to less than half of that, as many seem to focus on other areas of the globe.
- It takes about two weeks to get from Japan to Long Beach, California. Longer if a stop is made in Canada or Washington state first.
- It takes nearly another month to get from California to Jacksonville, Florida via the Panama Canal.
- Most Leafs are leaving from Yokohama.
- I've been told by a "live chat" representative that my Leaf will arrive in the "Newark, NJ port." Marinetraffic.com lists this as New York.
- Based on the previous items, even if a Leaf shipment goes direct from Japan to New York, I should probably figure approximately 30 days transit time.
- "Live chat" refuses to provide any specifics on shipping of Leafs.

I'm hoping others can help me with some remaining questions:
1. Does the Leaf ship from ports other than Yokohama?
2. Has anyone else been told Leafs will arrive in the NY/NJ port?
3. What is the timing of receiving your VIN relative to shipping; Before it ships? While it's in transit? or After it arrives in the U.S.?
4. Based on my earlier research and assuming a least a week from port to dealer, for my "January 2012" delivery, I should look for a ship leaving Japan about 35 to 40 days before January 2012. So, this could range anywhere from late November to late December. It could be earlier than that if stops will be made on the west coast first. Does this sound right?
5. Is there a possibility east coast Leafs will arrive on the west coast and be shipped by rail or truck to the east coast?

Thanks.

:lol: Now I am getting really excited

I have received additional information regarding the delivery of your new Nissan LEAF.
Your Nissan LEAF is scheduled to be on the Hoegh Trident, which is scheduled to leave Japan on 10/15/11 with an estimated arrival in the U.S.of 11/15/11.
I know you will enjoy driving your new Nissan LEAF and all of the attention you will be getting as you drive around town!
Please contact us with any questions or concerns during your LEAF experience.
Nissan LEAF/Telematics
Service Delivery Supervisor

I am all set to track the ship and I am having knee surgery on the 10th of Nov. Ship arrives the 15th and I should be getting her on the week of Thanksgiving so whoopieeee!

Leaftogo1 said:

I have received additional information regarding the delivery of your new Nissan LEAF.
Your Nissan LEAF is scheduled to be on the Hoegh Trident, which is scheduled to leave Japan on 10/15/11 with an estimated arrival in the U.S.of 11/15/11.
I know you will enjoy driving your new Nissan LEAF and all of the attention you will be getting as you drive around town!
Nissan LEAF/Telematics

How did you get all that info?

like to see that detail on mine!

kmp647 said:
Leaftogo1 said:

Nissan LEAF/Telematics

How did you get all that info?

like to see that detail on mine!

Wow, that's pretty cool. But we found guessing and stalking to be much more fun! :lol:

Leaftogo1 said:

Nissan LEAF/Telematics

Please let us know your source for this information. If there is a way for others on this forum to get the same information for our vehicles, we'd love to know.

Also, this doesn't match up with other information in this thread. The Hoegh Trident isn't even on the list for the Nissan fleet and has been focused on India and Africa lately.

Thanks.

While searching about the Hoegh Trident, I found another useful link: http://www.hoegh.com/autliners/schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Entering the right criteria will get you a schedule for the Hoegh Trident that says it has the following ETAs:
- Jacksonville - 11/14/11
- Newport News - 11/15/11
- New York (New Jersey) - 11/16/11
- Baltimore - 11/18/11

So, it looks like there may be Leafs for the entire east coast on this vessel.

relytgerg said:
While searching about the Hoegh Trident, I found another useful link: http://www.hoegh.com/autliners/schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Entering the right criteria will get you a schedule for the Hoegh Trident that says it has the following ETAs:
- Jacksonville - 11/14/11
- Newport News - 11/15/11
- New York (New Jersey) - 11/16/11
- Baltimore - 11/18/11

So, it looks like there may be Leafs for the entire east coast on this vessel.

Yet all these dates are beyond the ETA of some Tier 2 delivery notices -- some in FL had 11/1 some in NC had 11/7, etc.; this could however be good news for those in Tier 2 who simply have 'month of November' but as the first one is now 30 days would have thought that they would have VIN's sent to us.

relytgerg said:
I'm hoping others can help me with some remaining questions:

1. Does the Leaf ship from ports other than Yokohama? Nop, they are all loaded at Oppama in the YOK bay

2. Has anyone else been told Leafs will arrive in the NY/NJ port? I called about a week ago and they told me that the LEAFs for the east coast are unloaded in JAX

3. What is the timing of receiving your VIN relative to shipping; Before it ships? While it's in transit? or After it arrives in the U.S.? Based on others, about one day before arriving to port

4. Based on my earlier research and assuming a least a week from port to dealer, for my "January 2012" delivery, I should look for a ship leaving Japan about 35 to 40 days before January 2012. So, this could range anywhere from late November to late December. It could be earlier than that if stops will be made on the west coast first. Does this sound right? Yes, that is a good assumption to start with.

5. Is there a possibility east coast Leafs will arrive on the west coast and be shipped by rail or truck to the east coast? Possible, yes; but by train it would be more expensive and take as long as it takes to cross via the Panama Canal

mwalsh said:
Wow, that's pretty cool. But we found guessing and stalking to be much more fun! :lol:
MY2012 is obviously the Brave New World. No more stalking information when it is delivered right to our corner markets. Yep, no more fun. :cry: :lol: That said, it should be equally fun to track the ship halfway around the world for a month and up the eastern seaboard while it is dropping off the Fall Leafs. The sheer anticipation may be too much for some.

Back