Tire Wear on Edges. Anybody else seeing this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laalan

I have 4,000 miles on one Leaf and 3,000 miles on the other. Both cars have front tire wear on the outside edges. There is about 1/32nd less tread on front outside edge on front tires than on back. It is visibly noticeable. When I took the car to the Nissan Dealer, I noticed that the demo car at 4,000 miles had the same wear on the front tire edges.

My LEAF was put on the alignment rack and the car came back as in Spec per Service Manual FSU-28 Oct 2011 revision. (I would not have been in compliant on earlier specification)
Camber L 0.0 Camber Right -0.4 degrees
Caster L 5.0 Caster right 4.9 degrees
Toe L 0.03 Toe Right 0.03 degrees
SAI L 11.6 SAI right 12.2 degrees

While I rotated the tires today, my fear is that at the pace of wear, I may not see 12,000 miles before the outside edges are non-compliant. At this point, there is a 1/32nd difference between the front prior to rotating and the back.

Curious how those with higher mileage are faring.

At 6200 miles, our front LEAF tires are showing a great deal of shoulder wear. However, that is expected, since the majority of our miles are on twisty mountain roads. Overall, the stock tires seem to be holding up pretty well, though. They have a decent wear rating (above 400). Several years ago, we purchased a new Honda Pilot SUV (4WD), and didn't even get 20,000 miles out of its larger stock tires. (The replacement Michelins did much better wear-wise.)

In a month or so, I will probably swap the LEAF's front tires for some snow-rated tires, and keep the originals as spares and/or summer use.

Fairly standard for a stock alignment, especially if you corner at all agressively.

If you can get the alignment shop to try to dial in appx 0.5* negative camber that will help. If you tend to take corners pretty aggressively, get as close to the 1.0* negative camber as possible.

The rear wheel camber specs are between 1-2* negative.

Yes, since you mention it, at 6,300 miles, my front tires are showing more outside shoulder wear than the rear tires. Time for that "recommended" tire rotation, methinks.

Does Nissan recommend front <==> rear as part of the rotation procedure?

abasile said:
At 6200 miles, our front LEAF tires are showing a great deal of shoulder wear. However, that is expected, since the majority of our miles are on twisty mountain roads.

Our local tire dealer up here under inflates tires a bit to improve the wear, since virtually everyone goes up and down windy mountain roads. While it certainly helps with tire wear, it doesn't help with mileage.

Just one more optimization to take into account, I guess. Tire longevity vs. miles per charge.

Are you sure you didn't mean OVER inflates? Under-inflation would increase edge wear...

I'm now seeing some chunking on mine but that is another matter... You can see it here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6150&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LakeLeaf said:
Our local tire dealer up here under inflates tires a bit to improve the wear, since virtually everyone goes up and down windy mountain roads. While it certainly helps with tire wear, it doesn't help with mileage.

TomT said:
Are you sure you didn't mean OVER inflates? Under-inflation would increase edge wear...

I'm now seeing some chunking on mine but that is another matter... You can see it here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6150&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LakeLeaf said:

No - they actually under inflate slightly. Doesn't make sense to me, as under inflation is usually thought to increase edge wear. But their claim is with all of the mountain driving by locals, it actually increases tire life as it keeps a better patch on the road. Counter-intuitive - or maybe it explains why their business is so good. :lol:

LakeLeaf said:

No - they actually under inflate slightly. Doesn't make sense to me, as under inflation is usually thought to increase edge wear. But their claim is with all of the mountain driving by locals, it actually increases tire life as it keeps a better patch on the road. Counter-intuitive - or maybe it explains why their business is so good. :lol:[/quote]

This sounds a lot like a dentist handing out candy to his patients. Best to keep the tires at recommended or slightly over.

Funny I just noticed this yesterday as I got the TPMS warning (one tire dropped to 33psi).

I chalked it up to my spirited driving and thought It's probably time to rotate the tires. (I'm at 7xxx miles)

LakeLeaf said:
TomT said:

LakeLeaf said:

No - they actually under inflate slightly. Doesn't make sense to me, as under inflation is usually thought to increase edge wear. But their claim is with all of the mountain driving by locals, it actually increases tire life as it keeps a better patch on the road. Counter-intuitive - or maybe it explains why their business is so good. :lol:
There is a tire pressure cult that we gladly belong to . . . it's the cult of, "not really over inflated-but inflated to the max level that the manufacturer allows" club. Due to the way tire manufacturers build their tires, not only does this increase tread longevity, it also gives WAY better traction in rain. Doing this, we got over 95,000 miles of wear out of our Michelin hydroedges (the car was crashed at that point, but the Michelins still has over 30% wear left). Is the ride as smoothe? No. But if that's your primary concern - go ahead and keep 'em at 36psi.

Then there's the 36psi cult . .. the cult that says you gotta do what the tire manufacture says. Yea, like they don't know what side of the bread that the butter is on. ;)
You want comfy above all else? Well then you get the kind of wear that you get.

I'll say just one more thing. We LOVE getting 5 mile per kWh. Part of the reason we do is because we run higher pressure (but still plenty same due to the safety margin that all manufacturers are required to abide by) than most will ever run ... because the manufacturers insist on 36psi. Good luck with that.

Here's 44psi:

92331bf2.jpg

Wow Tony.. How many miles on those tires? It would be interesting to know if your cars alignment matchs the alignment specification

Tony, is that only on one tire?

Something is wrong or you are channeling Mario Andretti. Reminds me of the early days of FWD cars.. perhaps we may have to go to a 5000 miles rotation schedule.

Back