The unofficial Leaf dropout thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another batch of returns. bummer. i know its a tough call to make and STILL wondering if Nissan is going to get the hint here.

just a quick question; if Nissan had announced a price for the battery pack replacement program that included a prorated purchase price that was "reasonable" (whatever that might be is another discussion) would that have affected your decision to keep the LEAF or not?

DaveinOlyWA said:
another batch of returns. bummer. i know its a tough call to make and STILL wondering if Nissan is going to get the hint here.

just a quick question; if Nissan had announced a price for the battery pack replacement program that included a prorated purchase price that was "reasonable" (whatever that might be is another discussion) would that have affected your decision to keep the LEAF or not?

Yes, if the price was right. I wanted to buy my Leaf at the end of the lease, but not knowing the cost to replace the pack and stressing over my commute made no sense. I have no intention to buy the Volt since the residual is too high. The Volt will keep me in the carpool lane and maximize the miles I can drive electric for about the same monthly lease price as I had on my Leaf. Hopefully there will be better EV options out there in 3 years; and by that I mean EVs with a meaningful battery capacity warranty as well as a published battery cost which would allow one to crunch numbers to figure out if the car makes sense for their situation.

Adrian said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Yes, if the price was right. I wanted to buy my Leaf at the end of the lease, but not knowing the cost to replace the pack and stressing over my commute made no sense. I have no intention to buy the Volt since the residual is too high. The Volt will keep me in the carpool lane and maximize the miles I can drive electric for about the same monthly lease price as I had on my Leaf. Hopefully there will be better EV options out there in 3 years; and by that I mean EVs with a meaningful battery capacity warranty as well as a published battery cost which would allow one to crunch numbers to figure out if the car makes sense for their situation.

my lease ends in 14 months and i would like to consider buying my LEAF as well. its got a pretty good residual price on it but it would be hard to make that decision if I am forced to replace the entire car when the batteries no longer meet my driving needs.

surfingslovak said:
I'm out as well.

Good 'ole CarMax. I tried to un-LEAF myself today, but not quite. Going back Sunday for round two. I think this car is approaching the range of my red car in half the time and half the mileage.

Got my lease payoff in hand.

surfingslovak said:
jhm614 said:
D@mn, sorry to see that. Battery concerns or ??? And what did you replace it with?
Yes, I was down 10%, which made the Leaf less practical for my needs. Since the car was owned, and not leased, it had to go at some point. Driving the ActiveE exclusively for now.
I'm sorry to hear that, also.

Perhaps an EV which leaves you stranded on the highway is preferrable to one which loses capacity if you feel the manufacturer is standing behind their product?

TonyWilliams said:
Good 'ole CarMax. I tried to un-LEAF myself today, but not quite. Going back Sunday for round two. I think this car is approaching the range of my red car in half the time and half the mileage. Got my lease payoff in hand.

A few days after you successfully get out of the lease call the CarMax guy and chat about battery degradation and see if they even know about it. Is there a Tesla S 85kWh ground level interceptor in your future? :)

surfingslovak said:
jhm614 said:
D@mn, sorry to see that. Battery concerns or ??? And what did you replace it with?
Yes, I was down 10%, which made the Leaf less practical for my needs. Since the car was owned, and not leased, it had to go at some point. Driving the ActiveE exclusively for now.
I am also sorry to hear that your Leaf is gone. How many miles did you have on it ? Where are you located ?

Herm said:
TonyWilliams said:
Good 'ole CarMax. I tried to un-LEAF myself today, but not quite. Going back Sunday for round two. I think this car is approaching the range of my red car in half the time and half the mileage. Got my lease payoff in hand.

A few days after you successfully get out of the lease call the CarMax guy and chat about battery degradation and see if they even know about it. Is there a Tesla S 85kWh ground level interceptor in your future? :)

after the RAV 4 EV test drive...i think he might be going another way besides Tesla

I know that there is absolutely no way that I will have any interest in buying my Leaf at the end of my four year lease. At that time, I expect it to be down about 4 capacity bars and therefore also have very marginal resale value... I wonder what Nissan will do with such lease returns as clearly resales are not at all likely unless they give them away for next to nothing...

Adrian said:
Yes, if the price was right. I wanted to buy my Leaf at the end of the lease, but not knowing the cost to replace the pack and stressing over my commute made no sense.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Herm said:
TonyWilliams said:

after the RAV 4 EV test drive...i think he might be going another way besides Tesla

Today's plan is to go back to the Toyota dealer to buy the Rav4. Toyota has a clever way to handle the $7500 tax credit on a lease, so I won't lease (and lose out on $7500).

We will probably put our $5000 down on a Tesla S-85 next week, to acquire near the end of our lease on the Infiniti oil burner.

Next up... Solar off-grid for house essentials and car recharging.

TonyWilliams said:
Today's plan is to go back to the Toyota dealer to buy the Rav4.
Heh - that rental really turned you around on it! Toyota's best plan ever - let you rent a car at market rates - you like the car so much you come back and buy it. :) Are you going to be able to negotiate anything below MSRP on it?

TonyWilliams said:
We will probably put our $5000 down on a Tesla S-85 next week, to acquire near the end of our lease on the Infiniti oil burner.
Nice - 85 kWh Model S is good for around 240 miles / charge without significant from what people have said. It does seem to be coming in slightly under the EPA rating from what owners have reported so far.

TonyWilliams said:
Next up... Solar off-grid for house essentials and car recharging.
You're going to need quite a battery backup to make this happen with 127 kWh of car battery - Ideally you'd be able to use the cars to augment your off-grid storage when the cars are there...

drees said:
you going to be able to negotiate anything below MSRP on it?

I'll let ya know in an hour.

Nice - 85 kWh Model S is good for around 240 miles / charge without significant from what people have said. It does seem to be coming in slightly under the EPA rating from what owners have reported so far.

I don't expect these batteries to crap out like Nissan, but 20% off of 240 miles is still 200 miles in 5 years-ish. That will work.

Ideally you'd be able to use the cars to augment your off-grid storage when the cars are there...

Yes, I'm not going to buy extra batteries. With two electric cars, I can still drive around at will with one, dodging the apocalypse zombies, while the other keeps the house (and 240 v fence) powered.

TonyWilliams said:
With two electric cars, I can still drive around at will with one, dodging the apocalypse zombies, while the other keeps the house (and 240 v fence) powered.

Good luck today :lol:

surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:
With two electric cars, I can still drive around at will with one, dodging the apocalypse zombies, while the other keeps the house (and 240 v fence) powered.

Done. Full pop, plus $200 for "super-duper white". $51,200.

Wrap came off the LEAF in about 20 minutes of pulling.

Think I'll go squeal the tires!!! Only 62 Rav4's sold in Sept, and 47 in Oct, so I'm about number 110 in the whole world.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:

Think I'll go squeal the tires!!! Only 62 Rav4's sold in Sept, and 47 in Oct, so I'm about number 110 in the whole world.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
TonyWilliams said:

So, are you going to migrate over to the RAV4 EV Forum and we lose you here, or are you going to be active in both?

TomT said:
I know that there is absolutely no way that I will have any interest in buying my Leaf at the end of my four year lease. At that time, I expect it to be down about 4 capacity bars and therefore also have very marginal resale value... I wonder what Nissan will do with such lease returns as clearly resales are not at all likely unless they give them away for next to nothing...

This is another reason why I think Nissan should have a robust battery reconditioning program. Those lease returns will be in very good condition if their batteries are reconditioned. I think my local Nissan dealer would like to get a piece of the battery reconditioning work. Especially since there isn't much else for them to fix on the LEAF. Lease return information will be an interesting thread on our forum. :p

TonyWilliams said:

Yay!

I'm guessing you got Blizzard Pearl, which Toyota also charges extra for on some/all of their other cars.

Back