The Speeding Ticket Thread - Confess Your Sins

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
z0ner said:
That makes me 5/5 using the same procedures and argument for radar entrapment.

You're comfortable that you aren't endangering anyone with your driving practices?

Sorry you feel the need to judge, but your family is safe on the road with me. If you knew me, or the definition of the BASIC SPEED LAW (CVC 22350) then you'd realize how ridiculous your statement is.

z0ner said:
Sorry you feel the need to judge, but your family is safe on the road with me. If you knew me, or the definition of the BASIC SPEED LAW (CVC 22350) then you'd realize how ridiculous your statement is.

Actually I tried to word my post specifically not to sound judgmental, but as a question... what is there about this law that is flawed?

Edit: I looked that up, it seems to direct drivers that they should not exceed a safe speed for the conditions. Does this mean individual drivers can exceed posted limits if they deem it safe to do so?

garygid,

Not as if I have to defend myself (again), but every situation has been unique.

On a Sunday afternoon with perfect weather and little traffic, I was driving up and down hills in Anaheim Hills, specifically on Canon (where it turns into Imperial Hwy). A motorcycle officer was at the bottom of the worst graded hill, cherry picking cars that weren't standing on their brakes. The 1.5 mile street changes speed limits 6 times. I used reason and logic to defend my position and won. It's that simple.

LTLFT,

That's exactly what it means. I'd say 90% of drivers think the posted speed limit (hell, it says "limit") means the max. Not true. Based on 22350 it's a guide based on driving conditions.

I tend to rate my driving ability based on the number of accidents caused or even unavoided. That number has been zero for about 20 years.

z0ner said:
LTLFT,

That's exactly what it means. I'd say 90% of drivers think the posted speed limit (hell, it says "limit") means the max. Not true. Based on 22350 it's a guide based on driving conditions.

I tend to rate my driving ability based on the number of accidents caused or even unavoided. That number has been zero for about 20 years.

Not that I get to CA much but that's good to know. And no, I'm not worried about my family being on the road with you, and not just because a continent divides us, which would take longer than the Donner party to cross in a Leaf even with a fully built out L3 network :lol: If I wanted something to worry about I need look no further than the guys who have built iPads into their steering wheels, or my neighbor a few doors down who thinks 60 on a residential street is perfectly OK (I was advised not to bother calling city hall to complain about it, supposedly she's doing someone high up in the police dept.)

No ticket in the LEAF.

However, I think I can beat the record on this thread for the most tickets, 3 in a week: ***2 the same day***:
All on a Suzuki GS1100 street bike--

On the Bay Bridge, 62mph in a 50mph zone(SF County); and 85mph in a 55mph zone on highway 280(Santa Clara County)-passing a dirt truck dropping rocks.

And later that week, 78mph in a 55 zone on highway 101(San Mateo County).

Cool part, this happening in 1983, when the DMV and CHP computers weren't linked. I was able to go to traffic school in all three counties to erase the 3 tickets from my record :cool:

I'm older and wiser now. I haven't had a ticket in 10 years, knock on wood!

Saw a car (not a LEAF) pulled over in a 35 mph zone which I drive through every day on my way to work. Usually once or twice a week I see someone pulled over there, so I really pay attention to my speed on that stretch. I've gotten used to the LEAF since I got my car, so now I am rarely surprised the way I was last April the first time I had the rental LEAF on the expressway.

tps said:
...I've gotten used to the LEAF since I got my car, so now I am rarely surprised the way I was last April the first time I had the rental LEAF on the expressway.

Funny you say this because ever since I got my LEAF I drive very relaxed the majority of the time. I take my time and always go the speed limit (was not always the case). Especially on the highway I'm the guy in the right lane going 65ish (some times less) trying to conserve my charge, even though I typically don't need to.

When I drive our other car I got a tad faster but still no where close to what I used to do.

No speeding tickets (yet) in the LEAF. I'm more worried about my wife than me :)

gasmiser1 said:
TonyWilliams said:
Pulled over last night at 86mph... Talked my way out of it. Still have the 84mph ticket to keep me warm.
-----------------------------------------------
How in the world did you talk your way out of the ticket :?: ;)

First, I kept my mouth shut. When the officer walked up, I had my license and registration ready. I pulled well off the road into the grass for his safety.

He just returned and asked a few questions, and let me go. Mostly luck, but I didn't do what I know he must hear all the time; excuses, BS, attitude, "why didn't you get those guys speeding instead of me", etc.

@ Tony
Polite and honest is always a good approach. I got out of 3 of my last 4 pull overs by being in uniform (cop, military, and boy scout :oops: bad leader)

Can't speed around here anymore. Too many orange barrels and $10k+ fines if you hit a road worker.

Welcome to the 2 seasons of Kansas, winter and road construction.

TonyWilliams said:
Pulled over last night at 86mph... Talked my way out of it. Still have the 84mph ticket to keep me warm.
What were you driving ? Let's see ... I am driving your 2012 LEAF. Your 2011 LEAF is in SanDiego ( unless there's a secret SD2MT you haven't told us about ;) ) ...

LEAFer said:
TonyWilliams said:
What were you driving ? Let's see ... I am driving your 2012 LEAF. Your 2011 LEAF is in SanDiego ( unless there's a secret SD2MT you haven't told us about ;) ) ...

No, don't have three LEAFs. I'm in the rental Jeep. A poor excuse for a car, and every time I pump that smelly stuff in it, they want close to $100.

TonyWilliams said:
First, I kept my mouth shut. When the officer walked up, I had my license and registration ready. I pulled well off the road into the grass for his safety.

He just returned and asked a few questions, and let me go. Mostly luck, but I didn't do what I know he must hear all the time; excuses, BS, attitude, "why didn't you get those guys speeding instead of me", etc.
Or any of the following:
1. Are you Andy or Barney?
2. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.
3. I thought you had to be in good physical condition to be a police officer.
4. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.
5. I pay your salary!
6. Aren't you the guy from the Village People?
7. Hey, you must've been doing' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!
8. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?
9. Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning, too!
10. I was trying to keep up with traffic. I know there are no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.
11. Where's your doughnut?
12. Don't you have anything better to do?
13. Here, hold my beer while I look for my registration

No ticket, but wondering if Nissan will bite me for driving it to the limit 95 MPH.
5 of us, all adults, Southbound on the 57, long downhill before the 10.
At 95 it hits a wall, it will not do one more tick.

Vitor said:
No ticket, but wondering if Nissan will bite me for driving it to the limit 95 MPH.

Had mine to 98.

Tire and speedometer errors, guys... It is electronically RPM limited.

EVDRIVER said:
Vitor said:
Had mine to 98.

TomT said:
Tire and speedometer errors, guys... It is electronically RPM limited.

EVDRIVER said:
Vitor said:
Had mine to 98.

Unless there is enough downhill grade! I wonder how much grade it would take to overcome 95mph drag?

Back