Clunk/Popping noise from front end - SOLVED (User error)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon357

Hi all, I just picked up a 2013 Leaf S here in southern california with 64k miles on it. It had various noises coming from the front end which I have been addressing one by one.

1.) First it had the issue with the CV spline in the hub which I greased and installed a new nut. That solved the clunk noise going into drive or reverse.
2.) Replaced transmission fluid.
3.) Replaced the struts because it was making the binding noise when turning the wheels at no to very low speed. While I was in there, I replaced the lower control arms, outer tie rod ends and sway bar links.

After all of that, I now have the clunking noise when going over uneven bumps/washboard roads around 30-40 mph. It is extremely noticeable, and I think it actually got worse after replacing the parts previously mentioned.

The only two items I can think of at this point are the motor mounts or sway bar bushings. After reading various threads, it seems the next thing to look at is the sway bar bushings which I understand is a quite challenging fix.

At this point I was hoping to get some feedback on what others here may think the best next steps would be. Are there any detailed write ups or videos out there on how to tackle the sway bar bushings? Thanks!

Last edited:
Took another look at this again today to see what other symptoms I could share. I performed some higher torque reverse and forward of the driveway without steering the car. I was able to get a loud clunk coming to an abrupt stop either from forward or reverse. I thought maybe I didn't tighten one of the bolts enough at the top of the strut tower or the control arms. Tightening those more did not help. In fact I tightened anything I touched, including adding another 90 degrees on the hub nut. Unfortunately none of that helped. Even sprayed some WD-40 on the sway bar bushings. Tightened down the 12V battery too. It's 70 degrees here today, so I don't think this is a cold weather issue.

Last edited:
My new '13 also had various clunking noises that would come from the front end, after only 40k!!! miles. I sold it with 60k and the clunking wasn't any worse and luckily the buyer didn't notice it. It's one reason I'd not purchase another Nissan and went back to Toyota where I never had such troubles even though my Toyotas had much more mileage than my Leaf. To me it's pretty unforgivable that a car with only 60k miles should have ANY! issues. BTW I also had a '13 S but I've read about others with various years having noisy front ends after quite low mileage.

It's like something is shifting in the front end when enough torque is applied in forward or reverse in addition to any rougher surface on the road. And honestly, this popped after I switched out from suspension components. Solved one issue and created another. I can't help but think it is the new control arms just following the physics of it, but if I make those bolts any tighter, I am going to snap them.

My new '13 also had various clunking noises that would come from the front end, after only 40k!!! miles. I sold it with 60k and the clunking wasn't any worse and luckily the buyer didn't notice it. It's one reason I'd not purchase another Nissan and went back to Toyota where I never had such troubles even though my Toyotas had much more mileage than my Leaf. To me it's pretty unforgivable that a car with only 60k miles should have ANY! issues. BTW I also had a '13 S but I've read about others with various years having noisy front ends after quite low mileage.
My 2013 has the same issues: most pronounced when I go from forward to reverse, uphill while turning. (I have a long driveway and prefer for safety to back in). I’d say it all started when I upgraded the battery to 62 kWh, and the springs were replaced. My highly qualified techs cannot find the source, and the battery installer is 250 mi away. Not going to flatbed just for that.

Yes, I noticed it right away when I bought mine, and used that to talk them down to $2700 with 55 miles of range on the guess-o-meter. I am just glad it wasn't the motor mounts or sway bar bushings, that would be a costly repair that I would not want to tackle myself. Honestly, the underside of the car is so clean you could practically eat off it...not that I would.

Back