The Open CHAdeMO Charger Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
Personally, I have done all kinds of "non-approved" things with the CHAdeMO port on the Leaf, and I've never set any codes that cannot be cleared by a battery reset.
Thanks for the insight Phil. I've updated the first post to reflect your "findings." :twisted:
Ingineer said:
YMMV, and DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! :shock:
Still very true! :mrgreen:
I just got back from a 3 day business trip so I'll have to work on the google code site over the weekend.

Jeremy

I don't mean to move off the subject matter, i.e., the discovery of the communications between the charger and car.

But, I must ask this question: I bought the SV version of the Leaf, the one without the QC connector, because I read where the SAE was developing a new plug and Level 3 QC standard. Do you think the CHAdeMO will become the ex facto standard for level 3 QC? And, do you know how one might DIY CHAdeMO?

Ladson
Leaf #669

fotajoye said:
I don't mean to move off the subject matter, i.e., the discovery of the communications between the charger and car.

But, I must ask this question: I bought the SV version of the Leaf, the one without the QC connector, because I read where the SAE was developing a new plug and Level 3 QC standard. Do you think the CHAdeMO will become the ex facto standard for level 3 QC? And, do you know how one might DIY CHAdeMO?

Ladson
Leaf #669

If you want ChaDeMo, trade your car for one that has the feature. If you trade for a 2013 LEAF later this year, it should also have a 6.6kW charger (double the current 3.3kW). There is no cost effective way to do it. Here's a thread about a ChaDeMo retrofit.

Yes, SAE is developing their own DC quick charge standard which will be used by USA and German car manufacturers (the i3 from BMW will offer this). Here's a link to the SAE L3 standards.

Hey guys, I'm still here working on this, mostly researching CAN. As I briefly mentioned before I was interested in making a logger. Well, a few people had worked with the AVR-CAN before but I've decided to go with the CAN bus shield from SparkFun (also on SK Pang) which snaps on top of the Arduino main board. I find this to be a better solution because I already had an Arduino and was familiar with it, and this shield comes with a few goodies not on the AVR-CAN such as a micro-SD card reader, 5 position switch, and a header for a serial LCD. The only mod that will have to be done with this is that the termination resistors on the CAN shield will have to be removed, as it is set to terminate at the OBD-II port. As Ingineer said, this is more of a "link" then a "bus" so both the charger and the car are set for 120 ohms of termination already and the logger shouldn't have any termination on it. Unfortunately there are no easy ways into this link, and you will have to tap into the CAN lines behind the CHAdeMO connector.

I'll be posting code to the google site in a few days. This logger will make text based logs on the SD card, from there they can be imported and worked with in Microsoft Excel.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy! Are you still interested in an Open QC? your google code page has never been updated. I guess you have been busy with the brusa upgrades?

Anyways, I'm sure you must know about the progress Gary and a college have made. The canbus codes are not "open" just yet, (ie; not published freely) but they have been reverse engineered, tests have been ran and cars have been bricked (and un-bricked).
I also created an open source plug to help enable this project, as going out and buying an actual plug is not even worth bothering with.

So for you and anyone else monitoring this thread, there is a new one on this topic located here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13349

Also my QC connector is located here (for those with 3d printers)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:121581

It is my understanding that CHAdeMO allows for cars to be used to back up the Grid. This implies CHAdeMO out.

My question is this: can a Nissan equipped with CHAdeMO be used to charge another car?

Road side EV charging service is a growth industry but the DC units are expensive.

I am assuming it can be done but there might be a lot of gotchas. Hopefully solvable gotchas.

Fusionenterprise said:
It is my understanding that CHAdeMO allows for cars to be used to back up the Grid. This implies CHAdeMO out.

My question is this: can a Nissan equipped with CHAdeMO be used to charge another car?

Road side EV charging service is a growth industry but the DC units are expensive.

I am assuming it can be done but there might be a lot of gotchas. Hopefully solvable gotchas.

The problem with that is the voltage difference. If you want to charge something quickly, you have to raise the voltage very high. Have you ever tried to charge a 12v battery with another 12v battery? It is a very, very slow process because the voltage between the two might be close unless battery is just completely dead. The same issue exist with connecting two Leaf packs together unless the voltage difference between them is pretty high (like near dead voltage level vs near full voltage level) and then you have the issue of regulating power between the two because you don't want to zap your friends Leaf with so much power that the battery just melts. So you would basically need the equivalent of a QC station that is powered by your Leaf to charge your stranded friend's Leaf for example. Not impossible of course, but not as simple as just using the CHAdeMO protocol to just directly wire one Leaf pack to another and let physics take over. :)

Hello
Did someone figure out how to put nissan leaf to V2H mode, engage HW contactor for chademo port .

CCS is the new DC charging protocol standard for Nissan; nothing in V2H will happen using ChaDeMo, at least by Nissan.
I find the idea of using an EV battery to supply home power during the times of high utility pricing to be intriguing, especially when the costs are approaching $.50 a kWh during peak cost periods.
Perhaps it is an idea whose time has come!

I dont want commercial solutions, the official V2H in japan cost 6k$, for that money you get new lifepo4 40 kWh battery .
I want diy solution, one can split cable from battery to pdm to access HV but a build in chademo would be nice.

Back