The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bobsfreeleaf said:
LEAFfan said:
I don't use B mode for more miles as I just use 'N' for that. I like it for one-pedal driving.
Hi Leaffan: Can you help me understand when N makes sense, vs. regen in ECO or Standard mode. Tony tried to teach me this, but I did not understand. When driving small hills and such, or even coasting to red lights, what extends your range the most, and when. Plus, I am pretty sure my S has braking regen, just not the B mode. Thanks!

Imagine you're riding a bicycle. You're approaching a red light, but you can see it's about to change. Do you pull up and stop? No, you coast up, timing it so when it turns green, you just keep going. You don't want to stop and give up all that momentum, because then you have to exert more energy pedaling hard to regain it.

cgaydos said:
... Dealer in TX asked $20,440 for it on Autotrader. I called, they said it was a demo (1600 miles) and the price was legit (that is, it wasn't "after all tax credits"). I checked VIN and verified it was indeed new. I checked IRS and Colorado tax authorities to verify it is still eligible for a combined $12,400 in tax credits, then bought the car. Cost to ship was $750. It's in great condition....

So, CO gives out a tax credit of ~$4,900?

And you got a nearly-new 2011 SL for under $9k?

IMO, that is far and away the best deal on any LEAF purchase new or used, that I've ever seen posted anywhere.

Sounds Like a Colorado LEAF flipper could make a huge profit, if they were so inclined...

DNAinaGoodWay said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
LEAFfan said:
I don't use B mode for more miles as I just use 'N' for that. I like it for one-pedal driving.
Hi Leaffan: Can you help me understand when N makes sense, vs. regen in ECO or Standard mode. Tony tried to teach me this, but I did not understand. When driving small hills and such, or even coasting to red lights, what extends your range the most, and when. Plus, I am pretty sure my S has braking regen, just not the B mode. Thanks!

Imagine you're riding a bicycle. You're approaching a red light, but you can see it's about to change. Do you pull up and stop? No, you coast up, timing it so when it turns green, you just keep going. You don't want to stop and give up all that momentum, because then you have to exert more energy pedaling hard to regain it.

Likewise, if you were coasting down a hill to go up another, you wouldn't brake if you don't need to, you'd crouch and tuck in to reduce drag to keep as much speed as possible to climb the next hill, thus minimizing your pedaling and energy use. Or, in a Leaf, using N, since the energy you gain from using Eco or B will be less than the extra energy you'd have to use to climb the next hill.

Of course, if you have to slow down, it's better to use Eco or B and get power from gravity than to use up brake pads.

edatoakrun said:
cgaydos said:
... Dealer in TX asked $20,440 for it on Autotrader. I called, they said it was a demo (1600 miles) and the price was legit (that is, it wasn't "after all tax credits"). I checked VIN and verified it was indeed new. I checked IRS and Colorado tax authorities to verify it is still eligible for a combined $12,400 in tax credits, then bought the car. Cost to ship was $750. It's in great condition....
IMO, that is far and away the best deal on any LEAF purchase new or used, that I've ever seen posted anywhere.
Sounds Like a Colorado LEAF flipper could make a huge profit, if they were so inclined...

How about this deal... ~29k MSRP 2013 LEAF S
Negotiated down to $25,500
Fed tax credit -$7500
WV tax credit -$7500

$10,500 :cool:

jopickens said:
edatoakrun said:
cgaydos said:

How about this deal... ~29k MSRP 2013 LEAF S
Negotiated down to $25,500
Fed tax credit -$7500
WV tax credit -$7500

$10,500
:cool:
Yes, that is a remarkable deal! You have the best state tax credit I've seen (and ours here is pretty good).

bobsfreeleaf said:
LEAFfan said:

I use N every chance I get. I coast to all the lights and stop signs. Even when I'm exiting the freeway, I throw it in R to get N (at least 7mph) and exit speeds are still plenty fast, as I coast at least a quarter mile to the light. Then, use regen when you get close so minimal braking is used. The only other time not to use N is when your incline/hill is too steep to maintain legal speeds.

To be honest I couldn't believe it and was nervous that there was a catch ... But I figured that it is under new car warranty so issues could be addressed.

Colorado has had fantastic tax credits (and they rollover) for many years, but the hybrid ones are in the final phase this year. For EVs the credit is "up to $6000" but the rules make it $4812 this year for the Leaf. Interestingly the Volt was just reclassed as a hybrid so went from $6k to 0. Another nice feature is that leasees claim a portion of the credit based on the residual. So for our 2012 Leaf we effectively have Colorado pay the down payment.

Flipping would be a problem as I know of no other deal like it. Oh there are new 2011s on autotrader, and some with prices in the low 20s, but every one I called told me that the price assumed a lease, and was post-federal tax credit.

LEAFfan said:
bobsfreeleaf said:
LEAFfan said:

I use N every chance I get. I coast to all the lights and stop signs. Even when I'm exiting the freeway, I throw it in R to get N (at least 7mph) and exit speeds are still plenty fast, as I coast at least a quarter mile to the light. Then, use regen when you get close so minimal braking is used. The only other time not to use N is when your incline/hill is too steep to maintain legal speeds.
Careful there L.F., you're givin away all your secrets! Thanks so much. Now I get it. Did you say you throw it in R????? to get to N? Please explain. That is not something I would have even dreamed of doing? I still think of the transmission :? as a gearbox ( I know its not), and ECO as low gear ( I know its not). Sounds like your coasting technique is something we might see in the engineering of future vehicles. You know, shoot out a distance sensor from the car or a satelite or such to assess need to slow down, speed up, or whatever (including the rate of speed of cars behind you), then use neutral accordingly. Nissan you can send the checks to Bobsfreeleaf. :lol:

cgaydos said:

To be honest I couldn't believe it and was nervous that there was a catch ... But I figured that it is under new car warranty so issues could be addressed.

Colorado has had fantastic tax credits (and they rollover) for many years, but the hybrid ones are in the final phase this year. For EVs the credit is "up to $6000" but the rules make it $4815 this year for the Leaf. Interestingly the Volt was just reclassed as a hybrid so went from $6k to 0. Another nice feature is that leasers claim a portion of the credit based on the residual. So for our 2012 Leaf we effectively have Colorado pay the down payment.

Flipping would be a problem as I know of no other deal like it. Oh there are new 2011s on autotrader, and some with prices in the low 20s, but every one I called told me that the price assumed a lease, and was post-federal tax credit.

Sounds like someone at the dealership you bought your "new" LEAF at, screwed up, and may soon realize that the price offered to you was supposed to be without (or after) the federal tax credit.

bobsfreeleaf said:
LEAFfan said:
Careful there L.F., you're givin away all your secrets! Thanks so much. Now I get it. Did you say you throw it in R????? to get to N? Please explain. That is not something I would have even dreamed of doing? I still think of the transmission :? as a gearbox ( I know its not), and ECO as low gear ( I know its not). Sounds like your coasting technique is something we might see in the engineering of future vehicles. You know, shoot out a distance sensor from the car or a satelite or such to assess need to slow down, speed up, or whatever (including the rate of speed of cars behind you), then use neutral accordingly. Nissan you can send the checks to Bobsfreeleaf. :lol:
It would take considerable practice to get as good at hypermiling as LEAFfan!

As for shifting to neutral, the quickest way to do that is to shift to R while moving forward at more than 7mph. The car will beep at you to remind you that reverse is not available at that speed and default to neutral. The by-the-book way to shift to neutral is to hold the shifter to the left for a second or two, and takes longer than just shifting to "reverse". Yes, you do need to get over the idea that the LEAF has a mechanical shifter or gearbox. When you shift all you are doing is adjusting the magnetic fields in the motor.

Even if you can do your commute easily without paying any attention to driving efficiently, one reason to learn to do so is that you may need to stretch your range someday. It is helpful to know how to drive efficiently when that happens.

Moreover, there are those of us who see no more reason to waste electricity than we do gasoline in our ICE cars. The idea is to avoid wasting resources. (I also have been recycling since the early '70s, to avoid unnecessary waste, long before most people ever heard of the term.) Needless to say, that mentality is not held by everyone here at MNL.

Moreover, there are those of us who see no more reason to waste electricity than we do gasoline in our ICE cars. The idea is to avoid wasting resources. (I also have been recycling since the early '70s, to avoid unnecessary waste, long before most people ever heard of the term.) Needless to say, that mentality is not held by everyone here at MNL.
You know, the longest journey........... I love the knowledge on this board. It has been very helpful in deciding to jump on board. This group of posters is certainly the highest collective I.Q. on the web! ;)

:D Happy days! Picked up our new Leaf last night, drove it 34 miles to home, Benton City WA and another 45 miles today. Spent all last evening and most of today "hands on training" and showing to buddies of course. The Leaf is not a common sight here. In fact have only seen one other on the road in fact, in the past 2 months. Prius seems to be the volume leader around here.
Now, I could gush on about this car, but infatuation is a temporary condition. These are the things I will value every day, and years from now: the solid feel, handling, power, useful gadgets, great audio/iPhone, fit & finish, and smooth silent operation. It's just a superb quality car. Haven't found anything to complain about yet (but give me some time and I will). I won't even talk about battery life because that's not really in Nissan's control.
I bet I will be just as happy with it 2 years from now when my lease expires. But I will trade up if there's a Leaf with a 200 mile battery on the market (I'd pay a lot more for this, as I'm sure lots of other would). C'mon you battery researchers, let's do a Manhattan project and get it done!
Pete

Hi! New here to posting but have been reading a ton. Picked up our 2013 S Black with black interior last Saturday. Leased it for 3 years. Dealer let me borrow a 2011 that they had for a week while waiting on mine. Loving it so far!

Mialovesherleaf said:
Hi! New here to posting but have been reading a ton. Picked up our 2013 S Black with black interior last Saturday. Leased it for 3 years. Dealer let me borrow a 2011 that they had for a week while waiting on mine. Loving it so far!

Do you've gotten to drive both a 2011 and a 2013 fairly close to each other. Thoughts? I am really interested in hearing if the 2013 range is more accurate. I hear it is, but I've not seen it myself. For example, I hear if the gauge says you have 90 miles of range, you can drive 20 miles and expect there to be 70 miles remaining. Whereas with my 2012, if I have 90 miles of range and drive 20, I might have 50 - 60 miles remaining.

I know mileage depends on a lot of factors, but even when I don't run HVAC, I find I am always burning more miles than I feel I should. But I'm still happy with the car.

Does the 2013 handle the same? Or is it better? Any other little things you've noticed?

Even though all the bars were still showing, I suspected there was battery degradation issues, which I assumed were due to the car sitting around the dealer lot, probably at 100 percent most of the time, and not being driven much. The 2011 had only 3,000 miles on it. Picking up the 2013 confirmed it. My range anxiety is pretty much gone. In fact, I'm really glad I had a chance to test a car with crappy range so that I then had a great appreciation for the brand new batteries and longer range of the 2013. At 100 percent charge, I'm pulling out of the driveway with 90 on the GOM. We have had temps in the mid 40's. On Monday I drove 75 miles and pulled into the driveway with the GOM giving me 14 and 2 bars. By contrast, after charging to 100 percent on the 2011, the GOM was giving me 65 pulling out of the driveway.

Just picked up my 2013 Pearl White SL from Feldmann Nissan in Minneapolis. Salesman Jim Hayes. Nice guy and everthing was smooooth. 29 miles. Woo hoo!

Catching a bus to Nashville to purchase a 2013 Slate Gray SL Premium Saturday morning and then driving about 225 miles to get home. I have 5 quick charge stops and one level 2 stop mapped out to get me back home in Pigeon Forge. Looks like we will get well acquainted with our new Leaf on the trip home.

I brought home our leased silver 2013 SL with premium pkg and wow, it's a great improvement over the 2012 I traded in. Better handling, steering feel, seat comfort, climate control and the faster charging is great. The batteries feel like they're less sensitive to cold weather but i will hold off on any grand pronouncements until I get more experience with it.

Back