The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am seriously late to the party on this thread. I got my 2011 Leaf August of last year (actually it's my wife's car) and only recently started driving it and getting an appreciation for it over the past 2 months. I only found out about this forum a few weeks ago. Better late than never I guess.

tps said:
Wow, I finally get to post to this thread! I got an email saying "It's here" from Peruzzi Nissan with an attached picture of the car on the delivery truck waiting to be unloaded at noon today. At 5:30 PM I paid a visit to the dealer, and at 7:30 PM I drove away in my new 2012 super-black LEAF! Right now my LEAF is sitting in the driveway by the garage, sipping PECO electrons from the Leviton EVSE I installed in December. I've had to pinch myself several times to be sure I wasn't dreaming!
Congrats, you got your Leaf, I am very sure you will enjoy it. I am sure this is much better then renting it just for a day or so. It is YOURS.

I started with posting in the pictures section since I had not seen this thread,
but I will add my impressions of the purchase here.

We found a blue 2012 Orphan at the local dealer. 5 Hours later it was in our Driveway.
No mark up, priced as was listed on the Nissan page. We had test driven a silver Leaf twice over the past year
but could not justify the purchase until recently.

I have built several electric motorcycles and owned a ZAP as well so I am not new to
the EV community.

The sales folks were very knowledgeable (they had sold 15 already, not bad for the East coast of SC)
and did not have to spend too much time explaining to me all the gadgets since I was familiar with the car.

There were a few things I did not expect and were a pleasant surprise, like the heated steering wheel.

We are not going to install the Level 2 charger at this time. The car will be more of a weekend warrior car
and we plan to tow it behind our RV (and charge at the RV park) :)

Most of our RV trips are "local" (with in SC) so it will make a great run around beach car and with the
color being Ocean blue, very appropriate.

So far the car has been very impressive. I am averaging 4 MPK and hope to get that better as I try
not to have so much fun with it?

After numerous postponements my 2012 LEAF SL was delivered today to my dealer in Keyport, NJ. I should be happy since it was ordered at the end of November and others have waited longer than I. But the constant delay in delivery ETA was getting frustrating. Other than writing the check today's process was smooth and painless. Now I just have to read the 400 page owner's manual. I can't believe that it's actually sitting in my garage.

Spert said:
After numerous postponements my 2012 LEAF SL was delivered today to my dealer in Keyport, NJ. I should be happy since it was ordered at the end of November and others have waited longer than I. But the constant delay in delivery ETA was getting frustrating. Other than writing the check today's process was smooth and painless. Now I just have to read the 400 page owner's manual. I can't believe that it's actually sitting in my garage.

Congrats!!!!!

You will love it!

Spert said:

Pinch yourself to make sure it is not a dream. Start with the DVD manual and save the rest for weekend. Enjoy it, congrats and get off the computer and drive. Lol

Ian B

I got mine on 09JAN2012, a Red SL. The car is all I'd hoped for, I live in the San Diego area at 1000 ft elevation and commute about 23 miles to work at an elevation of 500 ft. and the same back, I can go either of two ways, one that goes down to sea level on the trip and the other that has a minimum elevation of 500 feet above sea level. There's quite a difference in energy consumption between the two. Since the first part of my trip is downhill, I charge to 80% on the timer and leave the garage with a range estimate of 67 miles, by the time I get to the lowest elevation on the trip it's 70 miles, and that's 15 miles away! So the estimated range is amusing, but needs to be interpreted with the situation in mind. Situational fuel economy.....

I'm getting 4.1 miles/kWh, and saving lots of money on gas (which is about $4.50/gallon today in San Diego). Really enjoy CarWings, for the statistics and for the ability to turn on my heater/AC from the iPhone prior to leaving work for home. I have a 6 kW solar system and have paid nothing for power to my utility for several years, lately due to changes in the law they have been paying me for power generation. Now I have a separate meter for the Leaf and will pay time-of-use rates for its power, which will be between midnight and 5 am at the lowest rate. I also get free access to a 120-volt outlet at work, so am able to recoup all the energy I use to get there for free. This all translates to a net cost to met that's equivalent to about 220 mpg in dollars-per-mile. Can't beat it. I have yet to see Turtle mode, and enjoy showing off the car's power on occasion. Just wish the seats were more comfy, but it's just short trips, so no biggie.

I am no doubt seen as a pest by co-workers, since I am always trumpeting the car's features. Still some are very interested, especially when they hear of the $10K state rebate/federal tax credit situation here in California. Previous car was a Jaguar XJR.

Regards to all,

Dave

MAPLEAF said:
I got mine on 09JAN2012, a Red SL. The car is all I'd hoped for, I live in the San Diego area at 1000 ft elevation and commute about 23 miles to work at an elevation of 500 ft. and the same back, I can go either of two ways, one that goes down to sea level on the trip and the other that has a minimum elevation of 500 feet above sea level. There's quite a difference in energy consumption between the two. Since the first part of my trip is downhill, I charge to 80% on the timer and leave the garage with a range estimate of 67 miles, by the time I get to the lowest elevation on the trip it's 70 miles, and that's 15 miles away! So the estimated range is amusing, but needs to be interpreted with the situation in mind. Situational fuel economy.....

I'm getting 4.1 miles/kWh, and saving lots of money on gas (which is about $4.50/gallon today in San Diego). Really enjoy CarWings, for the statistics and for the ability to turn on my heater/AC from the iPhone prior to leaving work for home. I have a 6 kW solar system and have paid nothing for power to my utility for several years, lately due to changes in the law they have been paying me for power generation. Now I have a separate meter for the Leaf and will pay time-of-use rates for its power, which will be between midnight and 5 am at the lowest rate. I also get free access to a 120-volt outlet at work, so am able to recoup all the energy I use to get there for free. This all translates to a net cost to met that's equivalent to about 220 mpg in dollars-per-mile. Can't beat it. I have yet to see Turtle mode, and enjoy showing off the car's power on occasion. Just wish the seats were more comfy, but it's just short trips, so no biggie.

I am no doubt seen as a pest by co-workers, since I am always trumpeting the car's features. Still some are very interested, especially when they hear of the $10K state rebate/federal tax credit situation here in California. Previous car was a Jaguar XJR.

Regards to all,

Dave

Congrats Dave! At first I enjoyed trumpeting the benefits of my LEAF but after 2 months I don't say anything unless I have to. It just gets old when someone say already has their roof covered in panels and is thinking about buying a new car, I just don't bother trying to push the Leaf.

I also have about 22 miles each way for my commute however it's all level elevation yet I usually drive 65-70 mph so my efficiency is not too impressive at ~3.5 mi/kWh. It's a great commuter car, and the seats are much more comfortable than the 2011 Honda Fit that I traded in!

I picked up my Leaf yesterday. I did not go through the normail ordering process that most of you did. I just went to the dealer one day, test drove, and then bought (Leased) it two weeks later.

And I have to say that the single most reason that I decided to get the Leaf is because if this forum. There is no way I would have jumped into this new technology without getting all the data and information that I got from actual users of the product.

in Plano (DFW area).

Great to see these organic purchases finally.

as in car is in stock on the ground, you go shopping and buy it.

this will have a good effect on total sales as this availability increases and ease of purchase is simplified.

Hi all - first post here.  We bought our 2011 Ocean Blue SL on Sunday, and so far I am absolutely loving it!  We didn't go through the normal order process like most of you - just showed up at the dealer, found the one we wanted, and bought it.  Apologies in advance if this post is a little long, but this is our story if you care to read it...  ;)

The saga starts a year or two ago, when our 2002 Nissan Altima started having engine problems.  Long story kind of short, it was a design flaw in the early Altimas of that generation which causes scratches/cracks to form in the cylinders and gradually kills the engine.  The problem was livable until sometime in October, when the car was no longer drivable on the freeways and struggled mightily up any little hill.  It needed a new engine.  With over 160,000 miles, we had to decide whether to dump big money into an aging car or just replace the whole thing.  We stopped driving it and put off that decision for a few months.

I'd never given the Leaf much thought, other than thinking it was a cool car and hoping it would help push EV technology forward.  As a cycling fan, I also liked the Lance Armstrong advertisement.  But never thought about owning one myself.

Last week my wife took in our 2007 Altima Hybrid for service and mentioned that the dealer asked if she wanted to buy a new car with 0% financing.  And then it clicked.  I knew the Leaf wasn't part of the 0% promotion, but I started thinking about it.  I'd recently noticed EV charging stations at my work and verified that they are free for employees to use.  I've spent the last week scouring this site and getting all kinds of great information; thank you to everyone who posts here!  The more I read, the more excited I became, thinking that the Leaf would be the perfect replacement car.  Perfect for my commute, in particular: 40 miles round trip with free charging.

Sunday we headed to Empire Nissan in Ontario (California).  We thought about going to Fontana since I saw them posting here a lot, but they had all 2012s.  Since the 2011 is a bit cheaper and we don't really need the cold weather package here in So Cal, that would be a great opportunity for some savings.  Empire had 5 2011s listed on their website.  And we hoped they would be willing to deal since we bought our Altima Hybrid there.

I have to say the entire experience at the dealer was outstanding, by far the smoothest car purchase I've ever had.  Much of that was due to the fact that we only dealt with one person, the internet sales manager, from test drive through final paperwork.  None of the usual BS where you have 4 or more people involved, all throwing different numbers at you and playing games to confuse and see how much profit they can get away with.  We lucked out because he said that only he and 2 other people were trained to sell the Leaf; otherwise we'd have gotten one of the vultures camping out and waiting for victims to arrive at the lot (one approached us immediately on arrival, but went and got the manager as soon as we said Leaf).

The sticker on the model we wanted (SL with quick charge port for future proofing) said DEMO, which concerned me a little bit - would it already have 1000 miles or more and would they still try to sell it as "new"?  Thankfully, it must have been mostly a show model and not a test drive model because the mileage was only 23.  That works!

I already knew pretty much everything the sales manager showed me (and he was really impressed by that) but it was nice to see in person and verify what I'd read.  It was clear that this was a great fit, so we quickly started talking deal after the test drive.

And here's where it really got good: I told him about our dying '02 Altima but assumed they wouldn't touch it, as they'd have to put in more money to repair it than what they could probably sell it for.  But the dealer offered to take it for the Kelley Blue Book "Fair" condition price (calling that car's condition "fair" would be a real stretch; more like "poor").  As long as it got to the dealership on its own power, he said, mechanical issues were not a problem.  We were both surprised and ecstatic at getting a better offer than what we'd realistically hoped for, and removing all hassle of selling it ourselves.

After settling terms of the deal, we went home to clean out and bring back the trade-in car.  Boy, was that a nerve-wracking return trip!  The car barely had power to get up to 25 mph most of the time (on surface streets with 50 mph speed limits), and I could swear it sounded like the engine was going to blow up for good on multiple occasions.  But it made the 18-mile trip, limping into the dealer after nearly an hour.

Finalizing the deal went smoothly and I felt like we were really taken care of for being loyal customers.  We got the price we wanted (under MSRP), a good deal similar to Santa Rosa's pricing on an extended warranty that we already knew we wanted, no surprises or funny math, they let us put a large down payment on a credit card (cash back bonus!), and that trade-in was a HUGE relief.  By dinner time the Leaf was home in our garage.

I've probably bored you all, but thanks for letting me share.  I've never been so excited about a new car before.  I love driving it, love the features, love the low maintenance without an ICE, love the very low energy cost, and love the fact that it helps push us off of fossil fuels, one car at a time.

Hi Mike. Congratulations on a great choice. You'll love the Leaf, I'm sure.

Please consider joining us at one of our Saturday breakfast meetups, either in Santa Ana or Cerritos. See the So Cal Leaf Group thread under Regional groups.

baronvonshush said:
I'd never given the Leaf much thought, other than thinking it was a cool car and hoping it would help push EV technology forward.  As a cycling fan, I also liked the Lance Armstrong advertisement.  But never thought about owning one myself.
From another cyclist, welcome to the EV community! For those of us who ride, less vehicle exhaust would be, well, a breath of fresh air.

baronvonshush said:
I'd recently noticed EV charging stations at my work and verified that they are free for employees to use.
It appears that the presence of charging was pivotal in your initial decision to consider the LEAF. This goes to show how important public charging infrastructure is in promoting EVs.

baronvonshush said:
Sunday we headed to Empire Nissan in Ontario (California).
We must not be that far apart. Look us up in http://plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

baronvonshush said:
After settling terms of the deal, we went home to clean out and bring back the trade-in car.  Boy, was that a nerve-wracking return trip!  The car barely had power to get up to 25 mph most of the time (on surface streets with 50 mph speed limits), and I could swear it sounded like the engine was going to blow up for good on multiple occasions.  But it made the 18-mile trip, limping into the dealer after nearly an hour.
That's a great story!

Boomer23 said:
Hi Mike. Congratulations on a great choice. You'll love the Leaf, I'm sure.

Please consider joining us at one of our Saturday breakfast meetups, either in Santa Ana or Cerritos. See the So Cal Leaf Group thread under Regional groups.
Thanks for the invitation, Boomer.  My Saturdays are usually pretty booked, but I'd love to get out to one of these sometime.  I'll keep it in mind.

abasile said:
From another cyclist, welcome to the EV community!  For those of us who ride, less vehicle exhaust would be, well, a breath of fresh air.
Thanks!  And yes, exactly.  I suppose that's one reason I tend to prefer mountain biking over road biking - no exhaust to choke on when you're up in the hills.

abasile said:
baronvonshush said:
I'd recently noticed EV charging stations at my work and verified that they are free for employees to use.
It appears that the presence of charging was pivotal in your initial decision to consider the LEAF.  This goes to show how important public charging infrastructure is in promoting EVs.
Yes.  If it weren't for the charging available at my work, this car would have been a harder sell.  We currently have no plans to install a L2 charger in our house, guessing that L1 will be sufficient during the weekends while the L2 chargers at work will take care of the rest.  It will be interesting to see how well this holds true over the next couple of months.  But not having that extra initial expense helped push us over the edge to buy.

abasile said:
baronvonshush said:
Sunday we headed to Empire Nissan in Ontario (California).
We must not be that far apart.  Look us up in http://plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
We're the other direction from Ontario, in Chino Hills.  I wonder if the LEAF would make it all the way out to you with all that climbing?

Thanks for the link - that looks like a great project.  Already downloaded the app to my phone.  Should come in handy.

Also abasile - by any chance did you go to school in Claremont in the '90s?  Your username seemed oddly familiar, and I think I finally realized it might have rung a bell from college.  Feel free to PM me on that topic if you want.

baronvonshush said:
Hi all - first post here.  We bought our 2011 Ocean Blue SL on Sunday, and so far I am absolutely loving it!  We didn't go through the normal order process like most of you - just showed up at the dealer, found the one we wanted, and bought it.  Apologies in advance if this post is a little long, but this is our story if you care to read it...  ;)

~snip~

I've probably bored you all, but thanks for letting me share.  I've never been so excited about a new car before.  I love driving it, love the features, love the low maintenance without an ICE, love the very low energy cost, and love the fact that it helps push us off of fossil fuels, one car at a time.

Great story! Loved reading it, especially the trade in value. Enjoy your new LEAF!

baronvonshush said:
We're the other direction from Ontario, in Chino Hills.  I wonder if the LEAF would make it all the way out to you with all that climbing?
Chino Hills would really be a stretch. I have, however, driven (carefully) on various occasions from Claremont, Montclair, and Ontario (near ONT) to my 6100' elevation home on one full charge.

baronvonshush said:
If it weren't for the charging available at my work, this car would have been a harder sell.  We currently have no plans to install a L2 charger in our house, guessing that L1 will be sufficient during the weekends while the L2 chargers at work will take care of the rest.  It will be interesting to see how well this holds true over the next couple of months.  But not having that extra initial expense helped push us over the edge to buy.
Ditto. I have a 60-mile round trip commute. It should work out well charging only at work, but we'll see.

For a 60 mile round trip, do you really need an L2 charger at work ? Wouldn't a simple L1 110V socket would do, given that you will be there at office for at least 8 hours?

I got my leaf, SV Ocean Blue, this Monday. I bought this against the advice of many of my friends who still think EV cars are all just expensive golf carts. And this board here played a significant part in my decision. After reading through all the replies on this board on range, charging, pricing discount, the smooth ride etc., I wanted to give this a try.. Just randomly went to a Nissan dealer and test drove and was impressed. Once I was convinced on the driving comfort and battery reliability, range is not really an issue for me. I have a Lexus RX 350 with 50K miles on it and of that over 40K miles right around 25 miles from house. It just makes no sense driving locally and paying for the Gas this much, when alternatives are available. I will drive the Lexus only whe I have to go farther, and that happens only once or twice a month.

mkjayakumar said:
For a 60 mile round trip, do you really need an L2 charger at work ? Wouldn't a simple L1 110V socket would do, given that you will be there at office for at least 8 hours?
As stated in this post, L1 charging would get you roughly 5 miles for every hour. That would be 40 miles over 8 hours. If I also charge at home, it will work. But then I won't have much buffer for additional, unexpected trips. I have to deal with winters where I live, so that will sap the range. I think going completely without L2 charging would be too much of a compromise for me.

I stopped by the local dealer last evening, and --yes!-- my Leaf had come in and was on the showroom floor. I take delivery today!

large.jpg

Back