The LEAF's top speed is...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved myself and the Leaf to Germany a couple of months ago. I'm the first one on the block with a Leaf. :cool:

I might have one of the runts of the litter, I've only been able to get 94 mph out of my Leaf (displayed, actual was probably ~90 mph). Attempted it on the same stretch of road going both directions w/in 15 minutes of each run. No sand bagg'n, I held onto it for more than a few seconds after 94 mph was reached, that's as far as it went.

mikek said:
I moved myself and the Leaf to Germany a couple of months ago. I'm the first one on the block with a Leaf. :cool:
Ah, the joys of the Autobahn. :) You are probably one of the first to have moved a LEAF so far! Are they selling in Germany yet?

The 151 kph was from the speedometer (not an external gps).

The latest update (delayed once or twice already) that I heard was that it would be available at 18 selected dealers in Germany in April this year. However, when we called Nissan last month they had not decided which 18 these would be!?!

drees said:
mikek said:
Ah, the joys of the Autobahn. :) You are probably one of the first to have moved a LEAF so far! Are they selling in Germany yet?

Many LEAFs are shipped to Norway from the US, many.

Don't know if the tires are rated for 90+ miles per hour, if not, that's a safety issue.

I once got stopped for going 160 kilometers per hour in Alberta Canada by the RCMP (not in a Leaf though). Don't think I'll be doing that again.

The car is electronically governed to 94. The speedometer will almost always indicate higher as there is a bias built in to make sure it does not read low... This is true of all vehicles.

RedLeader said:
94 mph is what I've seen my speedo max out at.

TomT said:
The car is electronically governed to 94. The speedometer will almost always indicate higher as there is a bias built in to make sure it does not read low... This is true of all vehicles.

RedLeader said:
I probably couldn't find it now, but I swear someone once calculated (possibly in this very thread) the maximum motor RPM * gearing ratio * tire diameter = 94mph. I think it's mechanically limited, not electronically limited. Well, it MAY be electronically limited because I suppose the motor COULD spin faster - but not without damage. Ultimately, though, it boils down to a physical limitation, no?

TomT said:

RedLeader said:

If 94 is the limit, why are some people getting a read out of 95? Not that I'm splitting hairs or anything like that. Is it a calibration issue?

Drivesolo said:
TomT said:

RedLeader said:

If 94 is the limit, why are some people getting a read out of 95? Not that I'm splitting hairs or anything like that. Is it a calibration issue?

The speed is limited by motor rpm - not mph. other variables such as tire wear and tire inflation pressure can change the diameter of the wheels and hence the distance travelled in a single revolution. And yes, calibration could play a role.

Speedometers, by design, are almost always fast to insure that it will never indicate slower than you are going regardless of tires tolerances, etc. Thus, you can not use a speedometer to accurately determine speed. You need an external device such as a GPS, fifth wheel, etc... If I remember correctly the maximum speed of the motor in the Leaf is 10,800 rpm which is electronically governed so as not to over-speed the motor (it's red-line). This works out to approximately 94 mph on a standard Leaf.

Nubo said:
The speed is limited by motor rpm - not mph. other variables such as tire wear and tire inflation pressure can change the diameter of the wheels and hence the distance travelled in a single revolution. And yes, calibration could play a role.

TomT said:
Speedometers, by design, are almost always fast to insure that it will never indicate slower than you are going regardless of tires tolerances, etc. Thus, you can not use a speedometer to accurately determine speed. You need an external device such as a GPS, fifth wheel, etc... If I remember correctly the maximum speed of the motor in the Leaf is 10,800 rpm which is electronically governed so as not to over-speed the motor (it's red-line). This works out to approximately 94 mph on a standard Leaf.

Nubo said:

I am sure there is a calibration error or a deliberate adjustment upwards in the speed measuring equipment on board the Leaf. When I made my original speed run, the speedometer went to " -- -- " after the numerals passed 99. I assumed at that time it was because the reading circuitry had gone over-range or had only two digits. The next speed run was with a Garmin GPS and external antenna and that time the speedometer hit the " -- --" and the GPS was displaying a steady "94 mph". The variables such as wind, road and air temperature, etc., I understand as I understand the manufacturer's calibration of the speedometer to display a higher speed than the actual speed. I'm concluding that "95" is about as fast as she will go and I'm happy with that. A Porsche 928 it ain't but the Shark (928) gets 14 mpg on a GOOD day. I'm cool with the whole experiment, twas fun.

Lead Foot Dave

TomT said:

Nubo said:

I wasn't commenting on the accuracy of the speedometer, but on the Drivesolo's query about variance.

Back