The LEAF's top speed is...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it is not just you, they definitely do. I'm not sure if it is just the tires or a combination of the alignment parameters they chose. The very light steering and lack of on-center feel amplifies the situation as well.

TRONZ said:
Is it just me or do the stock tires have a tread that likes to "wander" around at high speeds? Its OK on smooth asphalt but VERY noticeable on the grooved concrete Highways common in SoCal.

So I can't tell. Did people decide the Redline RPM on the motor was 10,500ish and was electronically limited??? (IMHO this sounds about right)

I'm not sure about that 101 or the comment that there seemed like there was more left. When I did it originally, I had the pedal to the metal for a good 30 seconds and there just wasn't anymore left. Someone here (in this thread I think) did the math and found that based on the max motor rpm, gearing ratio and tire size the theoretical max is indeed 94... ?

Why 94? Because I can... :mrgreen: By the way, the LEAF handles quite nicely at high speed... and very very quiet. In a relative way... :cool:

I also took the car to 94 mph on a empty stretch of road. Why because I need/want to know what the car can do.

TomT said:
You really don't know without a two way run and a GPS to measure the actual speed (the car's speedometer is going to be fast).

eHelmholtz said:
My Leaf appears to max out at 95 mph.
Note that the GPS will only be as accurate as its resolution, so sometimes even the odometer will be more accurate. Anyone have an extra LIDAR handy? :D

I drove about 50 kilometers today at 151/152 kph (94mph). On flat ground the top 4 power balls were missing, but going up hlll it would allow some more power to keep at least 149 kph. Acceleration from 130 to 150 was also not bad and much better than I thought it would be.

In the GPS I have installed in my car the max logged speed is 145km/h or 90 mph (160km/h in the dash). The speed is limited by the max rotational speed of the motor and not by max power. It is like the top speed in a ICE at a lower gear ratio.

vegastar said:
In the GPS I have installed in my car the max logged speed is 145km/h or 90 mph (160km/h in the dash). The speed is limited by the max rotational speed of the motor and not by max power. It is like the top speed in a ICE at a lower gear ratio.

Probably more accurate that the 94mph I observed from the speedometer. I'll have to get out my GPS and compare.

mikek said:
I drove about 50 kilometers today at 151/152 kph (94mph). On flat ground the top 4 power balls were missing, but going up hlll it would allow some more power to keep at least 149 kph. Acceleration from 130 to 150 was also not bad and much better than I thought it would be.
Exactly where in San Diego were you able to do this without getting busted by the CHP and what kind of efficiency (mi/kWh) did the LEAF report after this excursion :)

drees said:
Exactly where in San Diego were you able to do this without getting busted by the CHP and what kind of efficiency (mi/kWh) did the LEAF report after this excursion :)

Didn't notice the economy, but it was the center lane on the 15 late at night (nobody on it).

I did get a ticket for 84mph last fall.

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
Didn't notice the economy, but it was the center lane on the 15 late at night (nobody on it).
Now I'm really confused since I was asking mikek and you replied... :)

90+ mph for 30+ miles without a ticket is a pretty good feat...

Back