The LEAF is too nondescript?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually parked next to a Volt last night in the outer fringes of our Costco parking lot (with a one space courtesy gap ;) ). It was the second Volt I have seen in my area. I have ALOT of concerns about GM's motives and the Volt but it is still a plug-in "cousin".

mogur said:
You will find people on both sides of the fence; those who hate the Volt and those who hate the Leaf. And you will find articles that disparage both and which sing the praises of both.

Personally, I think they both have their place. To post negative diatribes about either does no one any good and just cheapens this forum.
Of COURSE they both have their place. Neither should be forced into their place, though, and neither should be put on an undeserved pedestal simply because one can plug them in.

I'd much prefer the ability to debate both sides of an issue - certainly you're not suggesting the forum is better if we ignore one side? This suggestion is even more disturbing since this is a Leaf forum, this is a thread critical of the Leaf's appearance originally penned by a member that's been critical of the Leaf in the past?

Too funny.

GeorgeParrott said:
Fellow LEAFers....what is your response to these opinions?

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1056787_is-the-2011-nissan-leaf-the-truly-invisible-electric-car

Your chance to "open up."
I've been asked about the car only once by a stranger till now. I've not seen too many people checkout the car either when I'm driving or when parked. I'd have thought it is quite distinctive - but apparently not so. I think, unless someone already knows about Leaf, they will not check it out.

More people know about Volt - though not all in the positive way. That could account for more people checking it out ...

I totally get what you're saying, George. It's not about the "LOOK AT ME" factor, but rather about an opportunity to get a little EV Evangelism done. Perhaps I'm influenced by the commercial, but I think it rather looks like a polar bear head on. The profile is less appealing, the rear in particular, as has been noted. (FWIW, I don't this the Volt is particularly interesting/different looking either - it's basically just a Chevy Cruze, I think.)

I notice that Nissan has really stepped up the graphics available for the Juke and Cube - they're even running a design competition for the Juke. I would expect they will likely do something similar for the LEAF, but probably not until the cars are more widely available.

After three days with my new LEAF, I have to say the look of the car is growing on me. I find its little catfish face oddly endearing. I absolutely love the blue color and I love that it "sings" to me every time turn it on. I ordered it sight unseen with only pictures to go on so I am pleasantly surprised with how much better I like it in person!

I think there's something to this. Remember the first generation Prius looked like any other sedan...and Toyota saw fit to completely change the design. I wonder whether attention was part of the reason.

davewill said:
II thiink there's something to this. Remember the first generation Prius looked like any other sedan...and Toyota saw fit to completely change the design. I wonder whether attention was part of the reason.

I think aerodynamics was probably the main reason, but now the shape is definitely Iconic, and it's patently obvious that the (new) Honda Insight and the Chevy Volt copied the shape.

Whatever their motivations, at the time, it was a radical shape, and it was a big gamble, but it hit pay-dirt!

-Phil

Iv'e got a few removable bumper stickers I can use when I want people to know I'm driving an EV. Most have something to do with OPEC,terrorists and big oil and all are slightly offensive.

I have to say that, when I was at the Drive Electric event last weekend, there was a steady stream of LEAFs circling the test drive course through the streets at National Harbor. Even to my eye, and I knew they we EVs, they did seem to blend in well with the traffic. There was lots of vehicular and pedestrian traffic in the area, and people passing by didn't seem to be giving them a second look. I think that will be OK by me. I'd much rather have something a bit nondescipt than something wierd looking. To me, the LEAF actually looked more normal in-person than it does in pictures.

Maybe vanity plates will get it more noticed?
Has anyone put the peel 'n' stick things we received in the mail on their ICE car?

I did not buy the ZERO EMISSIONS VEHICLE GRAPHIC for the side of my new Leaf when I ordered it. But if I buy it from my dealer now how hard it would be for me to put it on and more importantly how hard to remove it a few months or years down the road when the novelty has gone?

So why did "you" really buy (or order) a Leaf? As having been through the gas shortage 30-40 years ago there is no question why I have ordered mine. In addition have any of you really calculated the cost of transportation over a 10 year period for the Leaf vs any one of another vehicle? For a 10,000 mile per year use and electricity at an average 11.5 cents per kw and gas at $4.00 my numbers show a savings of about $13,000 over a Volt, $1100 over a standard Prius, $2000 over a Versa and $12,000 over a $25,000 vehicle that gets an average of 25 mpg. A major difference is the cost of fuel! Numbers include an estimated Net Present Value after 10 years.

gascant said:
Has anyone put the peel 'n' stick things we received in the mail on their ICE car?

I'm saving those stickers in their original packaging, collectible you know. Got to make up for all those Beanie Babies somehow.

I think the huge smile on my face while driving past $4 a gallon gas stations should draw enough attention to the Leaf. One of my associates commented that regardless of being electric or not, he really thought the look of the Leaf was very nice. The electric propulsion makes it clearly worth the price of admission.

hansende said:
I did not buy the ZERO EMISSIONS VEHICLE GRAPHIC for the side of my new Leaf when I ordered it. But if I buy it from my dealer now how hard it would be for me to put it on and more importantly how hard to remove it a few months or years down the road when the novelty has gone?

My Dealer (Brendan Dolan from Boardwalk, a reliable source) told me it is not at all difficult to remove.

That's what I did on the back liftgate, centered and a little lower than the two flanking emblems. I like the look.

I hate the look of the monster side graphics ala the Tour cars...

jcesare said:
I might try the chrome ELECTRIC lettering
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3310

Bud said:
I think the huge smile on my face while driving past $4 a gallon gas stations should draw enough attention to the Leaf. One of my associates commented that regardless of being electric or not, he really thought the look of the Leaf was very nice. The electric propulsion makes it clearly worth the price of admission.

Your duty is to stop at every gas station you pass, stand by the parked Leaf and smoke a cigarette or drink a diet coke.. one of those nice chrome plated "Electric" emblem in the back would be nice also. From this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3310

electric.jpg

If anyone asks what you are doing just tell them you miss the smell of gasoline.

gascant said:

When I still had my prius, I put the one on the car of the gas pump that was crossed out. It didn't
stay on for long and it's now lost and gone forever! :(

sdbmania said:
When I still had my prius, I put the one on the car of the gas pump that was crossed out. It didn't stay on for long and it's now lost and gone forever! :(
Wow! Big Oil will stop at nothing to stamp out EVs!

Back