The LEAF is too nondescript?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Nissan did a great job overall with the design. Let's remember that not only is the LEAF a first of it's kind but is also a global car that needs to attract a wide variety of owners from very different cultures. IMHO it looks like it's from the "near future" and makes alot of new cars look immediatly dated. They could have ticked it up a notch or two, Ex; LEAF "Aero Concept". But this would turn off the people truly looking for an appliance to drive around. I also think this is why Nissan was so eager to show the ESFlow. Their designers have alot of new packaging opportunities to explore with smaller EV components. Their heads are probably ready to explode with new ideas! I respect Nissan for holding back on the LEAF and going the global/universal appeal route. I also think if more excitement is what you want, Nissan will be delivering it in short order with their "sports car".

garygid said:
What other cars (other than perhaps an older vacuum-cleaner Citroen) look so much like a catfish from the front, and perhaps like a sleeping bunny from the side?

No, not as different as an Aptera would have been, but ...
it is, in my mind, the same as many others, but also a bit different.
Funny memory Gary . . . back in the days when Aptera seemed to be reality, it was Karen, from the Aptera chat board who pointed out that the Leaf looked very much like a catfish (and designers agreed when it was pointed out):

nissan-leaf-catfish.jpg

Just something about that 'lip' hanging under there . . . . . . and I laughingly agree . . . thought some days, (if you've seen one under a magnifying glass) I'm thinking it looks more like the head of a big ant. But who cares!

I get far more...your car is "so cute", then "it looks like a fish"!. I've actually only had one comment that was not positive...and I quote "what planet did you find that car on?".

hill said:
garygid said:
What other cars (other than perhaps an older vacuum-cleaner Citroen) look so much like a catfish from the front, and perhaps like a sleeping bunny from the side? ...
Funny memory Gary . . . back in the days when Aptera seemed to be reality, it was Karen, from the Aptera chat board who pointed out that the Leaf looked very much like a catfish (and designers agreed when it was pointed out):

nissan-leaf-catfish.jpg

Just something about that 'lip' hanging under there . . . . . . and I laughingly agree . . . thought some days, (if you've seen one under a magnifying glass) I'm thinking it looks more like the head of a big ant. But who cares!
Thanks for the reminder, guys! That memory hit me as well from the time before this forum. We must be getting used to the design!

I see possibilities here. Above is exhibit A. Now for B and C:

http://www.trulynolen.com/corporate/mouse-car.asp
1998-mousecar.jpg

http://blogs.europeancarweb.com/620...s/seaworld-shamu-volkswagen-beetle/index.html
seaworld-shamu-volkswagen-beetle.jpg

I don't really understand the point of your post--too nondescript that you're not getting enough attention? But please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a "hey everyone, look at me" kind of person so I'm not sitting at red lights, looking around to see who's noticing me. I like the look of the Leaf--it suits me more than the look of the Volt which I feel is more bossy and masculine. The Leaf looks young and sporty to me. And like Tronz said, this is a car meant to appeal more to the masses so it's not meant to look like it's from the Jetsons.

Great comments and observations....for those of you newer to the forum here, I own both the LEAF (VIN #320) and the Volt (VIN #679), so I see a place and function for each. As a couple here have noted, the Aptera is much more distinctive in design and I also acknowledge that I am STILL holding a deposit on the Aptera (shows how blindly optimistic I really am).

And a big "No" on the hypothesis of my age (18? or anything close), as I am an almost (one semester to go) retired Professor of Psychology (California State University, Sacramento) with training in social and cognitive psychology.

My observation and concern about the LEAF design, is that for the typical driver, the LEAF will not/is not noticed as something "new." I have regularly left mine parked in most visible mall locations just as an experiment, and NOBODY even stopped to look--well over three weeks I have had exactly three (3) people stop to actually study the car when walking by. OTOH, leaving my Volt similarly visibly parked, I have hardly ever NOT observed people stopping and checking it out. A couple of weeks ago, I watched a guy start to go by the car, stop and notice it was the Volt and then get out his cell phone and start taking pictures. In the Volt, even driving on the freeway, I have had other drivers come by me and give me a "thumbs up."

In terms of promoting new car technology and getting those of us who are NOT car geeks and/or environmentally concerned to SEE what their options might be, a more visible persona for the new technology might/would be a stronger marketing tool. Each of us are already LEAF and EV excited, but it is not us that a new product line survives by, for there are way too few of such early adopter psyches to be market profitable.

GeorgeParrott said:
Great comments and observations....for those of you newer to the forum here, I own both the LEAF (VIN #320) and the Volt (VIN #679), so I see a place and function for each. As a couple here have noted, the Aptera is much more distinctive in design and I also acknowledge that I am STILL holding a deposit on the Aptera (shows how blindly optimistic I really am).

And a big "No" on the hypothesis of my age (18? or anything close), as I am an almost (one semester to go) retired Professor of Psychology (California State University, Sacramento) with training in social and cognitive psychology.

My observation and concern about the LEAF design, is that for the typical driver, the LEAF will not/is not noticed as something "new." I have regularly left mine parked in most visible mall locations just as an experiment, and NOBODY even stopped to look--well over three weeks I have had exactly three (3) people stop to actually study the car when walking by. OTOH, leaving my Volt similarly visibly parked, I have hardly ever NOT observed people stopping and checking it out. A couple of weeks ago, I watched a guy start to go by the car, stop and notice it was the Volt and then get out his cell phone and start taking pictures. In the Volt, even driving on the freeway, I have had other drivers come by me and give me a "thumbs up."
How have the parking spots for the Leaf and Volt compared? Same space, same time of day/week? I might assume you have the ability to prepare a survey/experiment, ;) and yet you've criticized the Leaf in ways that you haven't the Volt, so one might also assume some bias that results in receiving the reaction you'd prefer. Thoughts?

GeorgeParrott said:
In terms of promoting new car technology and getting those of us who are NOT car geeks and/or environmentally concerned to SEE what their options might be, a more visible persona for the new technology might/would be a stronger marketing tool. Each of us are already LEAF and EV excited, but it is not us that a new product line survives by, for there are way too few of such early adopter psyches to be market profitable.
From a business perspective, I don't expect any EV manufacturer is basing their entire business model on the rise and fall of early adopters. Rather, I'd expect that once we get enough EVs on the road, we'd reach a tipping-point. Maybe EVs will 'go viral'...

Ready2plugin said:
...................... one comment that was not positive...and I quote "what planet did you find that car on?".
------------------------------------
That's just pure jealousy on there part, no doubt :roll: Some people just don't get what an EV can do for lightening their commuting expenses and helping the environment.

I've had similar comments when driving my 2001 Insight.

gasmiser1 said:
Ready2plugin said:
...................... one comment that was not positive...and I quote "what planet did you find that car on?".
------------------------------------
That's just pure jealousy on there part, no doubt :roll: Some people just don't get what an EV can do for lightening their commuting expenses and helping the environment.

I've had similar comments when driving my 2001 Insight.

It didn't bother me. She said it with a smile and was getting out of a new GMC Acadia, not really someone that would be looking for a LEAF :) .

GeorgeParrott said:
To me, the Volt looks more nondescript than the LEAF, although both look pretty much like "normal" cars. Given that the only time I've seen either car "in the flesh" is at the Philadelphia International Auto Show about a month ago, maybe my opinion is distorted by the brief exposure. And I didn't get a closeup look at the Volt; Chevrolet chose to show it on an elevated turntable. At least I could touch the LEAF; even if it and the Volt were practically the only cars no one was permitted to sit in. One thing I did notice: the tailpipe is very well hidden on the Volt!

Anyway, what conclusion do you draw from your "experiment"? Do you feel that the Volt is more exotic looking than the LEAF? If so, why?

I had an Insight as well, and I used to have people follow me to parking lots to ask me questions about it. I kind of liked it, and I remember that every other Insight driver and I would wave to each other. I loved how it looked. My folks called it "the space car."

I think the Leaf is boring-looking, but I'm with a lot of other folks who think that advertising it isn't really my aim. I'm not going to have to buy gas or get an oil change again, that's all I really need. I'm hoping that with the Leaf's and Volt's success (crossing my fingers) we'll start seeing new vehicles that look cooler. The Tesla is one of the nicest-looking cars I've seen, but $60k+ is way too rich for my blood. Eventually we'll hit an equilibrium where we have a better selection of car bodies.

My concern is that after those of us in the enthusiastic car market have our LEAF cars, the extended sales of the LEAF might not be that effective because the general public does not "connect" with our early adopter group to get first hand feedback on the rewards of driving such technology.

The Volt, with the contrasting (in most color choices) black under the car shoulder line makes it a bit more distinctive and I think just that "cue" is what is generating the attention and notice that more typical potential car buyers can pick up and respond to.

I don't find either car is any design breakthrough and the production Volt is much tamed from the more dramatic concept car of the first introduction, but the Volt seems, based on my "natural or field experiment*," to be much more noticed by the casual passerby.

*experimental design description: NOT an exactly controlled laboratory experiment, but yes, the time of day and setting was set very similarly for the parking locations I chose for both the Volt and the LEAF in the mall parking areas. We, unfortunately, have a handicapped parking permit, so this very closely sets where we end up parking, but those limited and high traffic handicapped parking places make for a more "controlled" experimental site presentation.

I would agree that the LEAF hardly gets noticed. We've been driving the car for a week and a half and only on three occasions has anyone said anything. Interestingly, two of them were from women and one was from a man has he was turning onto our street from the right as he passed by I heard him say to his passenger "What was that!". I hope he was talking about the car.

To remedy the situation I've taken two of the static cling ads from Nissan and put one in the rear window and the second in the front window on the passenger side. The one in the rear says "I Quit!" with a picture of the "x'd" out gas pump. Then I think it says "Ask Me How". The one in the front says the "No tailpipe, no emissions, etc. ". And they both say "The 100% Electric LEAF".

I'm hoping that when people walk by a car in the parking lot that their eye cannot resist reading what is posted in a window. If they happen to ask, I carry a few sheets of the "Reasons to Drive an EV" that I hand out.

I'm glad at least that we got the big Zero Emissions graphic on the side, but with the blue color of our LEAF that too doesn't get much attention.

In the two weeks and 700 miles I have had mine, I've had a total of no responses to the car. Maybe adding the "Electric" logo to the back will change that some...

ERG4ALL said:
I would agree that the LEAF hardly gets noticed. We've been driving the car for a week and a half and only on three occasions has anyone said anything.

GeorgeParrott said:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
I duno . . . when the Hummer rolled out, people stopped and starred. Now, people frown. I fear that if GM doesn't fix important things on the Volt like:
- 37mpg
- High Price
- Dishonest PR (calling it electric when it's not ... saying it's "made in America" when Batteries are Korean/Tranny is Japanese, 230mpg, etc)

I fear that in short notice, the Volt's "Look" will be synonimous with much that's wrong with GM. The "look" will make it easy to spot as being, "ug, THAT car". Sadly, look how harsh the Volt is getting slammed by media outlets already:
http://www.businessinsider.com/consumer-reports-volt-2011-3

http://www.forbes.com/2011/03/16/chevy-volt-ayn-rand-opinions-patrick-michaels.html

http://www.wheels.ca/News%20and%20Features/article/794286

In fact, some of the biggest die hard GM fan boy authors are angered at how poorly thought out the Volt is:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41907272/ns/business-autos/
Want to charge the Volt using the included 120-volt charger? Be prepared to wait even longer than it used to take to send your boss a big PowerPoint file for final approval — way longer. It takes 10 hours.

Want to use the nifty-in-concept OnStar smartphone apps to check the car's charging, or its battery status? Think about that creeping Windows progress bar and plan to wait long enough to download a big photo file over the dial-up connection.

And when the battery is fully charged and you’re ready to whir off to electric nirvana? Nirvana better not be far away, because if it’s cold and dark outside your ten hours on the charger will have bought you only about 26 miles of electric range.
So . . . "looks" go both ways . . . like a relationship/significant other . . . . when looks are the foundation of what something is built on . . . and that's the only thing going on, down the road it doesn't cut the mustard. Conversly, when the "contents" are killer, THAT can go WAY farther. Look at the Prius as an example of how "looks" had NO bearing on sales. Gen I ?? You couldn't pull it out of a line up. Gen II ?? Many said the "Looks" were akin to a "cheese wedge" ... or an "egg". Now? Over Three Million sold ... and in only 10 years! Substance over form. I fear U.S. auto manufacturers are no longer in touch with reality - imo.

Oh man... Right.Off.The.Bat... those EVs don't make heat - and it's a Volt story. Dante's got a special place for the GM folks that called Volt-amort an EV. :evil:

The potential popularity of electric vehicles has always been tempered in cold climates, like here in Canada, because of the concerns that freezing temperatures will reduce the range of an EV’s batteries.

And now a long-term test report of the Chevrolet Volt, in the U.S. magazine Motor Trend, confirms that fear and also suggests you may have to keep your winter clothes on while driving the plug-in electric hybrid during colder days.

Sigh. At least they give it its proper label - Plug-In Electric Hybrid.

Oh man - I expected a more favorable view from Forbes...
In other words, GM was desperate for customers for what they perceived would be an unpopular vehicle before one even hit the road.

That's harsh.

You will find people on both sides of the fence; those who hate the Volt and those who hate the Leaf. And you will find articles that disparage both and which sing the praises of both.

Personally, I think they both have their place. To post negative diatribes about either does no one any good and just cheapens this forum.

Back