Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for not looking through all 92 pages on this thread, but is there an updated Supercharger routing map that could show you if you could reasonably make a trip say from Chicago to St. Augustine, FL -- I tried one that was apparently out of date that gave me a route straight across to just below MD/VA, etc. which didn't make sense with new stations in SC, etc. and added several hours and miles to an otherwise ~ 1,100 miles trip (to like 1,700)?

They show a Supercharger close to St. A now that I'd like to point out to some of my relatives and also say, with this end point you could easily travel in about the same amount of time on 100% electricity as well as it could be of interest to snow birds, etc.

With adding more range and AWD the Tesla S is getting more 'practical' for even long trips that couldn't be imagined before ...

redLEAF said:
Sorry for not looking through all 92 pages on this thread, but is there an updated Supercharger routing map that could show you if you could reasonably make a trip say from Chicago to St. Augustine, FL -- I tried one that was apparently out of date that gave me a route straight across to just below MD/VA, etc. which didn't make sense with new stations in SC, etc. and added several hours and miles to an otherwise ~ 1,100 miles trip (to like 1,700)?

They show a Supercharger close to St. A now that I'd like to point out to some of my relatives and also say, with this end point you could easily travel in about the same amount of time on 100% electricity as well as it could be of interest to snow birds, etc.

With adding more range and AWD the Tesla S is getting more 'practical' for even long trips that couldn't be imagined before ...
I don't know if EV Trip Planner is still being updated since Tesla came out with 6.2 software. Was that the one you tried? Chicago - St. Augustine gives the following for me in a 60: https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=9xj1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you choose to break it into two pieces by doing Chicago - Chattanooga, with care and/or some L2 charging in between London and Chattanooga: https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=9xjy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Chattanooga - St. Augustine: https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=9xk6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll save some time/distance. It's tight with a 60, but fairly easy with an 85. An 85 will give you the whole Chicago - St. Augustine route via Kentucky using SCs.

GRA said:
redLEAF said:

I don't know if EV Trip Planner is still being updated since Tesla came out with 6.2 software. Was that the one you tried? Chicago - St. Augustine gives the following for me in a 60: https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=9xj1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you choose to break it into two pieces by doing Chicago - Chattanooga, with care and/or some L2 charging in between London and Chattanooga: https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=9xjy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Chattanooga - St. Augustine: https://www.evtripplanner.com/planner/2-5/?id=9xk6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll save some time/distance. It's tight with a 60, but fairly easy with an 85. An 85 will give you the whole Chicago - St. Augustine route via Kentucky using SCs.

Yes, that was the route planner I tried -- in the 'old' days (when our kids were much young and couldn't tolerate 11 or 12 hour car drives), we actually did the Chicago to FL run by stopping over at Chattanooga on the first leg but then we pressed on in future years to just outside Atlanta, then Macon then Valdosta and most recently totally bypass ATL and stopped over outside of Columbia, SC (passing through Asheville, NC); nothing against GA, but too many crazies and backups close to ATL; I know that the Smoky Mountains might be a challenge for some big RV's, etc. but not typically for what we have driven on these trips.

Looks like the best bet is indeed to break these up into segments ... hopefully these chargers will start to criss-cross some more ... but nice to know it's actually possible!

EVTriplanner is a lot better than the beta Tesla planner.

However, both have a problem with bridging gaps in the Supercharger network. If you know you'd like to stop at an L2 or CHAdeMO station along the way, it's best to enter the legs before and after the stop into the planner separately.

The CHAdeMO adapter can be very useful for now around Tennessee.

To be honest, Elon never should have hyped the Tesla planner as much. In the car it's labeled beta, but it's more like an alpha. So, for this feature he hasn't yet delivered. On the other hand, the 'D' has lived up to the hype.

As of 4/17/15, Syracuse, NY with 8 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 43/181/1,201.

Mobile, AL is usable, but not yet officially complete (parking bumpers need to be installed).

Current list showing all U.S. and Canadian SCs open as of 1/1/15 and subsequent, and full list showing all SCs open from 1/14, can be found here:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=810

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

http://supercharge.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As of 4/21/15 (first use 4/16), Mobile, AL with 8 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 43/182/1,209.

The Texas island is now open eastwards via I-10 to Florida (and I-85 to Atlanta and Charlotte), with care, to S85 owners. S60 owners still need SCs in the Tallahassee, FL; Slidell, LA; and Houston/Baytown/Beaumont areas plus Greenville , SC. The first customer charge has been reported at Tucumcari, NM, but it's not yet listed, so S85s can get as far as Albuquerque, NM via I-40 using SCs with minimal trouble, and can get to Gallup with care.

Current list showing all U.S. and Canadian SCs open as of 1/1/15 and subsequent, and full list showing all SCs open from 1/14, can be found here:

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

Berlino said:

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
We used the Tesla trip planner on a trip from Minneapolis to St. Louis, MO.
It worked ok on the way down, then we got an over the air update and it worked better on the way back.

BTW GRA, St. Charles MO is now on the map. We used it a few times while down there as well, worked great:)

Zythryn said:
<snip>
It worked ok on the way down, then we got an over the air update and it worked better on the way back.

BTW GRA, St. Charles MO is now on the map. We used it a few times while down there as well, worked great:)
Still not on Tesla's map as of today, when I look at it. It continues to show a grayed-out 'Opening soon' icon, not a red 'Open now' icon. I know it's usable, but until it appears on the car's nav system and Tesla's website map and 'Find us' page I don't add them to the list, as there could be problems that cause them to go out of service again with little or no advance warning. And the 'Find us' page for U.S. SCs remains all screwed up. Try and find either Independence or St. Charles listed under Missouri here: http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/list/superchargers/United+States" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Actually, there is no separate listing for Missouri at all (or Nevada FTM), and only Independence is listed under 'United States', in between Texas and Utah listings; all the NV sites are also listed there. Still, that's maybe less confusing than the listings for Montana SCs, which are scattered between 'states' called 'MT' (Big Timber), 'Montana' (Billings, Bozeman and Missoula) and 'United States' (Butte and Superior), separated by 4 and 14 'states' respectively.

GRA said:
Zythryn said:
<snip>

Still not on Tesla's map as of today, when I look at it. It continues to show a grayed-out 'Opening soon' icon, not a red 'Open now' icon. I know it's usable, but until it appears on the car's nav system and Tesla's website map and 'Find us' page I don't add them to the list, ...

Makes perfect sense, and you are right, the find us list does seem a bit Fubarred.
The reason I mentioned it is St. Charles does show in the car's navigation, and does show on the FIND US map, although it is still grayed out on the supercharger map, which I didn't catch before.
On the list of chargers on the Find Us page, St. Charles is listed under the alphabetical section, "United States"

Zythryn said:
Berlino said:

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The biggest weakness of the Tesla estimator is not accounting for very cold weather. I haven't been able to test 6.2 in severe conditions, but 6.1 would underestimate consumption by over a third whenever it was below 0F, which was every day in January and February. If this continues with 6.2, the "no range anxiety" feature could leave people stranded or have them stop charging way too soon.

EVTripplanner is much better with severe winter conditions. It was only off by around 3% when entering cold temps, which might just be ignoring that Winter tires are likely less energy efficient than the stock ones.

Zythryn said:
GRA said:
Zythryn said:
<snip>

Still not on Tesla's map as of today, when I look at it. It continues to show a grayed-out 'Opening soon' icon, not a red 'Open now' icon. I know it's usable, but until it appears on the car's nav system and Tesla's website map and 'Find us' page I don't add them to the list, ...

Makes perfect sense, and you are right, the find us list does seem a bit Fubarred.
The reason I mentioned it is St. Charles does show in the car's navigation, and does show on the FIND US map, although it is still grayed out on the supercharger map, which I didn't catch before.
On the list of chargers on the Find Us page, St. Charles is listed under the alphabetical section, "United States"
Well, it's finally appeared - trust me, when I checked the 'Find Us' map and U.S. SC list yesterday after reading your post before replying, it still wasn't there. I can finally list it (in the next post). It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Tucumcari to appear. Sometimes (Mojave) the list and map gets updated the very day the first customer use is reported, and sometimes it takes a few weeks.

As of 4/23/15 (1st use 4/14), St. Charles, MO with 5 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 43/183/1,214.

With St. Charles' official appearance, U.S. 70 is now traversible by S85s in good conditions with care, from end to end using only SCs. S60s, and S85s in poor conditions, still need a few more, especially Columbia, MO, to make year-round travel routine.

I don't know whether my bitching about it on TMC or the email I sent them had anything to do with it, but Tesla has fixed their SC page, and also updated the main map to show St. Charles. Montana superchargers are back together again, and Missouri and Nevada have their own listings.

April U.S. Supercharger summary. Tesla should have commissioned 49 SCs by the end of April, for a total of 193, to stay on their schedule. They fell 4 behind last month, and needed 12 this month plus four more to make up for last month's shortfall. In fact, they commissioned just 6 SCs this month (plus 1 more completed but not yet 'official'), one of which was actually completed last month, for a total of 183 SCs (39 this year), 10 short of their schedule. This doesn't augur well for them meeting their goal, especially as there are only 7 U.S. SCs known to be under construction with another 16 permitted (per supercharge.info). Ideally, they need about 12-13 in each category at all times to stay on track. It's possible that there are a few stealth sites that haven't been found by the Tesla public which might boost the totals slightly, but not enough to overcome the deficit.

As of 5/2/15, Marathon, FL with 4 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 43/184/1,218.

Here's an example of why I don't post SCs or include them in my count, even when someone has reported using them, until they appear on Tesla's own SC webpage. This was a post from another member on TMC, reporting Tesla's response to his email asking why Tucumcari hadn't yet appeared on the web page or in-car nav:
Thank you for your email and feedback. The Tucumcari, NM station is not listed on our website or in your Model S navigation because the site is not officially open to the public. We take great care to make sure that all stations are added to the website and all Model S within 24 hours or less from opening.

We are working on a power quality issue and until we are able to find a solution, we cannot guarantee that the site will be operational. Therefore, we have not opened the station and we would not want to route customers to this site until we are able to ensure functionality.

We appreciate your patience and support for our Supercharger technology and we look forward to officially opening this station soon.

Thank you,
The Tesla Supercharger Team
Also, I'd sent Tesla an email mentioning the cross border annexations of two Alabama SC sites into Alberta, and the apparent retaliatory annexation of Alberta into the U.S. as shown on their SC page, and I'm happy to report that the annexations have now been rescinded without needing to resort to the Security Council. ;)

GRA said:
...Also, I'd sent Tesla an email mentioning the cross border annexations of two Alabama SC sites into Alberta, and the apparent retaliatory annexation of Alberta into the U.S. as shown on their SC page, and I'm happy to report that the annexations have now been rescinded without needing to resort to the Security Council. ;)
I trust that they have now figured out the difference between "AL" and "AB" in their listings.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
...Also, I'd sent Tesla an email mentioning the cross border annexations of two Alabama SC sites into Alberta, and the apparent retaliatory annexation of Alberta into the U.S. as shown on their SC page, and I'm happy to report that the annexations have now been rescinded without needing to resort to the Security Council. ;)
I trust that they have now figured out the difference between "AL" and "AB" in their listings.
They have.

Back