Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zythryn said:
Phoenix said:
Sure wish Tesla would produce their BlueStar before Model X which does not appeal to me. I much prefer a LEAF-size car but with Tesla's 150 miles or longer range. The Toyota (Tesla) EV RAV-4 already fits the SUV crowd.

I agree with you, would much rather see a smaller sedan first. However I understand why they aren't.
If the Leaf had the range we need (150 miles) we would be driving one of those instead of the S.
I expect we will start to see more BEVs in the 100-150 range over the next few years, but who knows.

I hope you are right, but I really feel the range of the BIG 85kWh battery is what we need to strive for.

I would buy the size of an 85-kwh in a heart beat, if only it wasn't the huge size of the Tesla S. (Okay, I would want to share that 85-kwh EV with someone else for longer trips and keep my LEAF for around town.) Admire most things about Tesla as a company (what's not to like about its supercharger network?), but its excesses (energy depletion while car sits, more bells and whistles than I want) can be a deterrent.

Phoenix said:
I would buy the size of an 85-kwh in a heart beat, if only it wasn't the huge size of the Tesla S. (Okay, I would want to share that 85-kwh EV with someone else for longer trips and keep my LEAF for around town.) Admire most things about Tesla as a company (what's not to like about its supercharger network?), but its excesses (energy depletion while car sits, more bells and whistles than I want) can be a deterrent.
I really like to see a 85kWh big battery for the Leaf with TMS and leather seats, for under 50,000.00

N952JL said:
Phoenix said:
I really like to see a 85kWh big battery for the Leaf with TMS and leather seats, for under 50,000.00

Or in the upcoming Infiniti LE.

MrIanB said:
N952JL said:
Phoenix said:

Leaf doesn't have that kind of space. Neither will LE. There is a reason why Model S is that big.

If they can somehow it in 50kWh (new NMC batteries) - that would be nice.

evnow said:
MrIanB said:
N952JL said:

Leaf doesn't have that kind of space. Neither will LE. There is a reason why Model S is that big.

Indeed. The 85kWh pack is about eight feet long, five feet wide and four inches thick, and weighs around 1,200 lb. Not exactly something you could fit in a Leaf-sized car without trouble. Batteries will have to get a whole lot higher specific energy and energy density before we'll see that kind of capacity in a Leaf-sized car.

evnow said:

Seems to me that there is some space if you're willing to go up 4-6 inches and make the "floor" thicker (that's what the Model S does.) 50 kWh would be awesome -- you'd end up in the low 100's in the EPA (5) cycle.

I'm still mystified why the Leaf is so heavy. 3,500 lbs with 800 lbs of batteries -- it's less than 25% battery weight! The EV1 was 2,800 lbs with 1,400 lbs of batteries so it was nearer that magic 50%. (Yeah, yeah, it was aluminum frame glued together with plastic [no dent!] body panels...)

rcyoder said:
evnow said:

Seems to me that there is some space if you're willing to go up 4-6 inches and make the "floor" thicker (that's what the Model S does.) 50 kWh would be awesome -- you'd end up in the low 100's in the EPA (5) cycle.

I'm still mystified why the Leaf is so heavy. 3,500 lbs with 800 lbs of batteries -- it's less than 25% battery weight! The EV1 was 2,800 lbs with 1,400 lbs of batteries so it was nearer that magic 50%. (Yeah, yeah, it was aluminum frame glued together with plastic [no dent!] body panels...)
The EV1 didn't have to meet 21st century safety regulations; it would be considerably heavier now.

GRA said:
The EV1 didn't have to meet 21st century safety regulations; it would be considerably heavier now.
Yes - Lutz specifically talked about this. BTW, EV1 was a 2 seater.

Re: falcon/gull-wing doors and roof usage.

Tesla's Elon Musk flames Times review in Geneva
by Wayne Cunningham March 5, 2013 1:46 PM PST
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31346_7-57572660-252/teslas-elon-musk-flames-times-review-in-geneva/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One last reporter, pointing out the gull-wing doors on the Model X, asked that the next vehicle have a place for people to put their skis. Musk said that the company does have a solution for the Model X, which is designed as an all-wheel-drive crossover.

scottf200 said:
Re: falcon/gull-wing doors and roof usage.

Tesla's Elon Musk flames Times review in Geneva
by Wayne Cunningham March 5, 2013 1:46 PM PST
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31346_7-57572660-252/teslas-elon-musk-flames-times-review-in-geneva/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One last reporter, pointing out the gull-wing doors on the Model X, asked that the next vehicle have a place for people to put their skis. Musk said that the company does have a solution for the Model X, which is designed as an all-wheel-drive crossover.
Of course there's a solution, you use a trailer-hitch mounted ski rack holding the skis vertically.

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Snowsports/HitchSki" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The problem is that they're in the way anytime you need to get into the rear, which may or may not be an issue, and you still can't carry any type of boat.

I currently have two Model X reservations:
S0603 of ~S1000 Signature versions and
P2933 of ~P4950 general Production versions so far.
Since signature options and colors are not announced yet that gives the most flexibility and keeps your place in both lines/queues.

Comments about "some exciting features" are very interesting. I love the fact of everything they are learning and doing on the Model S will help with the Model X.

http://insideevs.com/highlights-from-teslas-2nd-quarter-qa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tesla Model X SUV - Musk expands on Tesla’s Q2 financial report

Summary:
The Tesla Model X SUV will be based on the Model S platform. “We’re hard at work on the Model X, refining the design,” Musk said. “We expect a small number of units by the end of the next year.”
Although the Model S is still the company’s biggest priority in all areas at the moment, more and more resources and Musk’s time are moving toward getting the Model X’s details right. “In terms of executive time, the Model X is becoming more of a priority,” Musk said. “Probably in the 4th quarter it becomes the top item.”

Currently, the Model X work is lab work on the design and engineering, with capital expenditures for hard tooling coming in Q2 and Q3 of 2014. By Q4 2014, some initial deliveries of the Model X should begin, with volume production beginning in 2015.

“We’re going to push pretty hard to make it better than the first prototype that most people have seen,” Musk said. “There’s some exciting features that I love and hopefully other people love too.”

edatoakrun said:
Tesla Motors, Inc. – Third Quarter 2013 Shareholder Letter
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/2736781853x0x703566/873a40e5-e798-4956-878f-47a19286d256/Tesla%20Q3'13%20Shareholder%20Letter%20final.pdf
Liked this:
We have also accelerated development work on Model X.
From TMC site (ie. not done by me)
sadjRUo.png

7ZZ8oRC.png

Maybe this info has already been posted, but will the Tesla Model X be able to use the superchargers? Free charging? Also, what is the realistic delivery for a new reservation? I read on another thread that the WA state tax exemption ends in July 2015 (I think DaveinOlyWA said that). Given the number of reservation holders (approaching 10,000 I think), I think realistic delivery will be late late 2015 or even 2016. Thoughts or better info?

Reddy said:
Maybe this info has already been posted, but will the Tesla Model X be able to use the superchargers? Free charging? Also, what is the realistic delivery for a new reservation? I read on another thread that the WA state tax exemption ends in July 2015 (I think DaveinOlyWA said that). Given the number of reservation holders (approaching 10,000 I think), I think realistic delivery will be late late 2015 or even 2016. Thoughts or better info?

It's inconceivable that they wouldn't be compatible. Whether nor not they'll still be free, I haven't heard. But really that would be a nit for me, given the number of times a year I'd actually need to avail myself of supercharging. I imagine lots of folks are in the same boat, so it'd be a nit for Tesla too. Worth more to them as PR and goodwill to keep it free than the relatively small income they'd get. The stations are sparsely located enough to make camping unattractive, so no need for a fee on that account.

Nubo said:
Reddy said:

It's inconceivable that they wouldn't be compatible. Whether nor not they'll still be free, I haven't heard. But really that would be a nit for me, given the number of times a year I'd actually need to avail myself of supercharging. I imagine lots of folks are in the same boat, so it'd be a nit for Tesla too. Worth more to them as PR and goodwill to keep it free than the relatively small income they'd get. The stations are sparsely located enough to make camping unattractive, so no need for a fee on that account.
I can't see how they could charge Model X owners for using the SCs, other than putting a price on the capability up front, as they do with the Model S-60. There's no payment method at the SCs, and although I'm sure it could be added it seems far simpler to just roll the cost into the car's MSRP as they do now.

Reddy said:

this tax deadline has been extended but at the time it was needed cause EVs had gained very little traction but I don't see it being extended again. EVs are really starting to take off at least in the West.

Did you hear about that flurry of Nissan fast chargers installed in the Puget Sound Region? they popped in 5 literally right under our noses. no announcements, nothing. if i hadn't picked up my 2013 the other day, I would have not known about my local dealer 8 miles away and their TRUE 24/7 QC access!

If the tax credits and rebates start going away, I believe you will see a very significant drop in EV sales except for the very high end vehicles like the Tesla...

DaveinOlyWA said:
this tax deadline has been extended but at the time it was needed cause EVs had gained very little traction but I don't see it being extended again. EVs are really starting to take off at least in the West.

TomT said:
If the tax credits and rebates start going away, I believe you will see a very significant drop in EV sales except for the very high end vehicles like the Tesla...

DaveinOlyWA said:

maybe but I think the ideology was to allow the credits until volume manufacturing/advanced tech brought the prices down. but making a good battery has proven to be tougher than most realized. only time will tell. I personally hope they do extend the tax credits especially since I will need it to get my next EV!

scottf200 said:
snip (images with photos and dimensions of S and X)

Will the Model X be wider than the Model S as well? As it is, the S barely squeezes into some public parking spaces here.

With same battery as the S, how much of a range hit will the X take due to extra weight and especially more frontal area exposed to the wind?

Back