Tell Nissan to open other US markets NOW!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamesanne said:
relytgerg said:
Please don’t tell me I need to wait for local dealers to be trained and ready. That’s your problem, not mine.
So you want the dealer to deliver your car not knowing anything about it and if you have a problem during the warranty period to say they don't know how to fix it. Not to egg this on, but could you please draft a letter if you where in either of those situations and post it here. I would absolutely love to read it. You are asking them to create a situation that would be a complete failure. It is their "responsibility" not "problem" to make sure that the cars are properly delivered and supported.

Once again I understand the argument, however in reality there have been enough bumps in the limited roll out. I don't see those getting any better by rapidly expanding the availability of the LEAF. What I read from their statement is that they have excess production capacity and in the current delivery areas additional demand.

How long have they been selling and servicing hybrids with batteries and motors? It's not that big of a leap.

TRONZ said:
Fraud? Give me a break. Nissan has been VERY clear that LEAFs would NOT be available in all markets and that everything is subject to change. There are also many (forgotten) threads discussing if people were "promised a car" or just an "opportunity to order". Opportunity to order won. I get it, some people are mad :evil: , disappointed :cry: and shocked :shock: to be reminded they are not in initial launch markets. Its just the reality of the situation.

I also felt Nissan was clear with quotes like this one from last December: Tim Gallagher also reveals that the Leaf's widespread roll out will kick off soon, telling the Mercury News : "By the end of summer, our goal is to have everyone in their car."

This led me to believe I would be in my car by September 20, 2011. The issue for me is that Nissan has NOT been clear about the roll-out. They led potential customers like me to believe that we were reserving a "place in line" to get our Leaf ahead of others who had a later place in line. I can accept the regional roll-out approach that lets others who registered in the first 20,000 to get theirs ahead of me. I can accept delays due to quality assurance issues. I can accept delays due to unforeseen circumstances like the earthquake and tsunami.

I cannot accept Nissan reopening registration and allowing people who register more than a year after I did to receive their Leaf long before I can even order mine.

I agree this does not rise to the level of fraud, nor is there legal basis for a lawsuit. There are, however, a lot of dissatisfied registrants. Those who have studied these types of situations tell us that dissatisfied customers (or potential customers) will tell approximately three times as many people as satisfied customers. This is not good news for Nissan.

What is the point of rolling out into other states? They can't even meet demand in the states that they are rolling out in. I'm in one of the initial roll-out areas and I've been waiting over a year since placing my reservation. Looks like I have at least another month.

Keep in mind that if you are in a "cold weather" state that you really do not want the current model of the Leaf. You will be happy to wait for the version with the "Cold Weather Package".

Here is my 2cents...

I placed my reservation on May 15th, with the expectation that I might see my car up here in Minnesota late in 2011. I have been an advocate for EV's in general and the Leaf specifically and applaud Nissan's commitment to bringing this car to market. The glitches we have seen, while disappointing, certainly weren't unexpected. I'll keep driving my old Saturn *knocks on wood*until my lucky day comes.

It does somewhat bother me, however, that they might allow new reservations ahead of mine with little or no explanation. The understanding was that ALL reservation holders would get there car before new reservation holders were get theirs. If there is a concern about cold climates, I would expect a communication to the effect of-

"At this time we are not 100% confident in our cold weather performance. while we work diligently to insure you will be totally satisfied with your Nissan Leaf Purchase, we will be continuing to expand sales in established markets by allowing individuals not part of the original reservation process to begin purchase Leafs"

And I also do not buy the infrastructure argument. Like most others, I have everything I need in my garage. This may be an argument about opening up sales to the general public...but to think that those of us that put down our deposit when we did do not understand the limitations of this vehicle is just wrong.

That all said, the optimist in me is still hoping that the floodgates will open early this summer and everyone on the reservation list country wide will be pleasantly surprised to start getting order and delivery notices from Nissan.

On a scale of 1-10...I would place my current level of dis-satisfaction at a 3...with potential to start climbing rapidly based on what communication or lack there-of comes out of Nissan over the next few months.

I have said all along I wanted a cold weather package Leaf

they have been talking up the cold weather package since day one (mark perry and the easier to heat the people than heat the cabin )

they should have made it available sooner.

If Nissan would just come out and say" In order to get you a cold pack equipped Leaf your order month is nov/dec 2011"

I would be happy

but they dont do that , they just let an exec make an announcment that irritates and ignores half of the current customers.

In truth, I am not that frustrated about waiting to take delivery of my LEAF. We knew many months ago that those in the outlying areas wouldn't even be able to order their vehicles until "late fall 2011/early winter 2012." I understood and accepted that timeline. After all, there are more customers, more demand, more infrastructure in the primary rollout states, and it only makes sense to release the LEAF into those markets first.

No, what upsets me is that Nissan would now open up a second round of reservations, and let those newcomers butt in line ahead of those of us who gave them deposits on day one of the first round, one year ago yesterday. My jaw hit the floor when I saw that Tavares told the news media that if those new customers place their orders early in May, they could conceivably take delivery by August.

Yet what upsets me most of all is that Nissan would make these decisions with nary a word to us, the first reservation holders. They might have very good reasons to take a second round of reservations in the initial rollout states, and let them move ahead of us in line, but they don't bother to explain those reasons, let alone express an apology, or even convey a modicum of sympathy, empathy, gratitude, and appreciation.

All I am really asking is for some basic courtesy and good manners. That's all. Treat customers as real people, and not just dollars on a budget sheet. I mean... isn't the whole point behind the EV movement to build a better world? What kind of a world will it be if it lacks common decency? And this isn't the first time Nissan has failed to communicate openly with us reservation holders.

Okay. That said, it is true that I actually will be happier with a later LEAF. For example, I would prefer the 6.6 kWh charging, the cold weather package with heated seats and steering wheel, and all the software "bugs" worked out of the system. So I can accept not getting my LEAF right now. That's actually what I expected anyway. I just didn't expect Nissan to rudely let a second round of reservation holders butt in line, without an explanation or even an apologetic glance in my direction. Sigh.... :(

LeafinThePark said:
"At this time we are not 100% confident in our cold weather performance...."
Are people really that naive here ?

Rush Limbaugh and all the other anti-EV folks will have a field day with this kind of statement. Remember there is a multi-billion dollar FUD industry out there waiting to hit EVs in everyway possible.

adric22 said:
What is the point of rolling out into other states? They can't even meet demand in the states that they are rolling out in. I'm in one of the initial roll-out areas and I've been waiting over a year since placing my reservation. Looks like I have at least another month.

I reserved at the same time - first day. Looks like I have to wait another year. I would be glad to swap spots with you.

Reserved my Mitsubishi i Miev this morning. Looks like there is a good chance it will be available before the Leaf for me. We'll see.

relytgerg said:
Reserved my Mitsubishi i Miev this morning. Looks like there is a good chance it will be available before the Leaf for me. We'll see.
Good for you, "relytgerg"! Unlike some, I really like the funky look of the "i". It might not have all the bells-and-whistles of the LEAF, but you're not paying for those features either. I am tempted to also put down a deposit on one, but unfortunately... it looks like I couldn't take delivery any sooner than a LEAF: my state is --once again-- on the tail end of the rollout. :(

Here is the schedule for the "i", if forum members want to check their state:
The Mitsubishi i delivery schedule.
See when our remarkable EV will be available in your state.

Dates listed below are estimated and subject to change.

California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 10/1/11
Receive it by: 1/31/12

Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 1/1/12
Receive it by: 4/30/12

Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 8/1/12
Receive it by: 11/30/12

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Finalize your Mitsubishi i order by: 10/1/12
Receive it by: 1/31/13

I believe the cold package is not that big of a deal.. basically an insulation blanket around the battery. You could do it yourself, include a waterbed heater to keep the battery warm overnight and wear an electrically heated motorcycle vest when you need it.

evnow said:
LeafinThePark said:
"At this time we are not 100% confident in our cold weather performance...."
Are people really that naive here ?

Rush Limbaugh and all the other anti-EV folks will have a field day with this kind of statement. Remember there is a multi-billion dollar FUD industry out there waiting to hit EVs in everyway possible.

OK, maybe that wouldn't be the best message to get out...but the point I was trying to make was Nissan should get some communication out to those of us in the forgotten 36. maybe "We are still finalizing details on our cold weather package" or even "We have made a business decision to expand in our established markets before expanding our footprint"

Herm said:
I believe the cold package is not that big of a deal.. basically an insulation blanket around the battery. You could do it yourself, include a waterbed heater to keep the battery warm overnight and wear an electrically heated motorcycle vest when you need it.
I'd prefer an electric blanket with 'snuggie' sleeves sewen onto it.
:lol:

relytgerg said:
Pennsylvania is a Tier 2 state for Mitsubishi. I could order in Jan 2012 and take delivery in Apr 2012. Looks like a good chance this would be sooner than the LEAF, since I'm in Nissan's forgotten 36. Hertz has a rental iMiev in NYC right now... Maybe I need to give it a try!

Since this complaining just won't stop, let me ask one thing. If Nissan had not closed the reservation list would you still feel that you were somehow wronged? Reservations would still be coming in, the initial states would still be placing orders and receiving the first vehicles. I don’t think it matters how many times the list is opened or closed.

It is a shame my response the other night never made it to the list. It seems there are few people who are mad about this decision.

There is a very real legal problem here. A judge and jury would have to decide on how legal Nissan was selling a "place" in line as their ad did in fact state reserving a "Position" in line. While they did say certain states would be serviced first, they did make a commitment to offer to sale a Leaf to everyone on the reservation list before the general public would be able to go to a dealer and just buy one off the lot.

The question is, when they closed the reservation list, were they then obligated to full fill the rest of the first round reservations. In cases where it is not clear the courts have normally applied the "normal & reasonable" rule, in other words how would a normal and reasonable interpert the issue.

Bottom line, Nissan is going to alinate a lot of people who paid money for a "spot" in line.

Back