Tax question for Leaf for sale on ebay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad98408

There is a Nissan Leaf currently for sale on ebay. The listing state the car is new and has only 7 miles on it. I was wondering about the Federal Tax Rebate though. If you don't buy the car from a dealer does the tax rebate still apply?

Well, he could apply for the credit if the eBay seller WAS a dealer. (and the car hadn't been registered/titled in anyone else's name).

brad98408 said:
There is a Nissan Leaf currently for sale on ebay. The listing state the car is new and has only 7 miles on it. I was wondering about the Federal Tax Rebate though. If you don't buy the car from a dealer does the tax rebate still apply?

curious asks: at what price? (i dont do ebay.)

thankyouOB said:
brad98408 said:

Ebay is on the internet, you search just like one does here but it works better, no membership required. Since it is an auction the price is constantly changing.

EVDRIVER said:
thankyouOB said:
brad98408 said:

Ebay is on the internet, you search just like one does here but it works better, no membership required. Since it is an auction the price is constantly changing.

grazie

I talked with the seller and he states that the car is still at the dealers and has not been registered yet. Current bid is $25,100 with 5 days to go. I think the reserve is about $40,000 based on his comment at the bottom of the description.

brad98408 said:
I talked with the seller and he states that the car is still at the dealers and has not been registered yet. Current bid is $25,100 with 5 days to go. I think the reserve is about $40,000 based on his comment at the bottom of the description.
If that's the case, the seller doesn't own the car and per eBay policies, doesn't have the right to sell the car. That right still belongs to the dealer... Sorry, but this isn't passing the "sniff" test...

brad98408 said:
The bid is now at $34,100. The price includes a "home charging station" of unspecified brand and model. I suspect the guy is doing it as a lark, just to see how much it would get bid up to. He prob set the reserve at a slightly ridiculously high price, which, if the price gets bid up to that high, he would have no sadness letting it go.

People must be more stupider, and/or demand for the LEAF is way more, than I imagine, considering that the price is already above where it should be.

aqn said:
brad98408 said:
The bid is now at $34,100. The price includes a "home charging station" of unspecified brand and model. I suspect the guy is doing it as a lark, just to see how much it would get bid up to. He prob set the reserve at a slightly ridiculously high price, which, if the price gets bid up to that high, he would have no sadness letting it go.

People must be more stupider, and/or demand for the LEAF is way more, than I imagine, considering that the price is already above where it should be.

if nothing else, this shows the market price and reveals the gouging by dealers who charging 3k more than this.

That guy in Ebay who listed the Nissan Leaf is me.

I wish I didn't have to sell it - but I can't take it with me (moving out of the country). If it was delivered in January 2010, I would be driving it and doing the auction as a "used" car. I did the auction as I was receiving many inquires to buy it, with a variety of prices - MSRP, MSRP + x,y, and z, and I felt the auction was the best place to let the market place determine the price for the car.

Again, I reserved it, ordered it, paid for the charger to get installed, and have waited for it to be delivered.

What would you set as a reserve price if you have to sell your Leaf?

If you have any questions, call me at 425-214-4079.

So Jim, I'm confused. Are you planning to actually buy the car and then turn around and sell it to the person who wins your ebay auction? Because at this point, you don't actually own the car so how can you be selling it?

This whole thing depends on whether Nissan of Bellevue is willing to break the spirit of the whole reservation system by selling a reserved car to a non-reserved buyer. And why would they let the reservee profit when the alternative is that they sell the car as an orphan?

Just to go on record, if there are any dealers reading this: I very much hope dealers don't go along with profiteering and allow what in essence is line-jumpers in ahead of people who have waited now just 9 days short of a FULL YEAR from first reservation. If this buyer backs out, sell the car to the next person on your list who is waiting, properly, for the same configuration. Any other move is going to stir up bad faith here on this forum.

Nissan set this whole thing up to be as fair as possible, and as we all know when some have moved ahead of others it gets a lot of discussion here. This is just my opinion but I suspect it is shared by many others who have waited patiently?

if nothing else, this shows the market price and reveals the gouging by dealers who charging 3k more than this.

How is selling a car at market value "gouging?" No one is forcing anyone to buy the car.

SteveInSeattle said:
This whole thing depends on whether Nissan of Bellevue is willing to break the spirit of the whole reservation system by selling a reserved car to a non-reserved buyer. And why would they let the reservee profit when the alternative is that they sell the car as an orphan?
I suspect "the spirit of the whole reservation system" may turn out to be legally/contractually meaningless. What I would like to know (but don't care to know enough to do the necessary research) is whether there are any fine prints in all the stuff that I clicked "Accept" to :) to prevent me from doing the same.

The question - So Jim, I'm confused. Are you planning to actually buy the car and then turn around and sell it to the person who wins your ebay auction? Because at this point, you don't actually own the car so how can you be selling it?

No confusion, the winning bidder will take my place and go to the dealer with me. The winning bidder will take my place in the final purchase process, or I'll assing my position - what ever it takes.

If I encounter any challenges with the transaction - that being with NNA (Nissan North America) or the dealer, I'll make the winning bidder complete - they'll get the car. If that requires me to purchase it and resell it to the winning bidder, then I'll reduce the winning bid by the tax credit amount, etc.

What would you suggest I do?

Again - no mystery - you have my name and phone number (425-214-4079), and I'll make the transaction work.

How about an answer to my original question - what would you set the reserve at?

With this auction I'm not forcing anyone to pay anything more than the amount THEY bid. If they don't want to pay, they don't have to bid.

aqn said:
I suspect "the spirit of the whole reservation system" may turn out to be legally/contractually meaningless. What I would like to know (but don't care to know enough to do the necessary research) is whether there are any fine prints in all the stuff that I clicked "Accept" to :) to prevent me from doing the same.
I suspect the dealer doesn't have to allow someone else to buy the car in your place. If YOU don't buy it, they are probably under no obligation to sell it to your buyer or to sell at the price you negotiated.

Back