surfboard range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, does this mean no one has put a rack on their Leaf yet? (Not a soft rack, one that requires hardware installation.)

I am waiting for Yakima to make the LEAF clips so I can use my existing Yakima rack for my kayak. I understand these clips are in the works. You can get on their email list to be notified.

Spaz said:
Can't wait to see other Leafs at Tourmaline or 15th!

Lea

Lea,

That would be great! Tourmaline is my regular spot...lets push to get a L2 Charger in there now!

@Kataphn - THANKS for the Yakama tip! Goin' over there to sign up now!
@RevBrent - Will be on the lookout for you (red leaf - hopefully with autolei flowers soon)! Need to get Skip interested in the charger... only way it'll happen in the next decade... BTW - how do you get your board there? IN or ON your Leaf?

Lea

Spaz said:
@RevBrent - Will be on the lookout for you (red leaf - hopefully with autolei flowers soon)! Need to get Skip interested in the charger... only way it'll happen in the next decade... BTW - how do you get your board there? IN or ON your Leaf?

Lea

Right now I just put down the back seats in my Honda Civic and slide the board in, but I did take VERY careful measurements of the Leaf interior and my 9'0 will just fit. So, it will be in my black Leaf hopefully by mid-May!

friendnumber1 said:
Removed the headrest on both of the passenger side seats,

I just tried to remove a rear right headrest yesterday, and it hits the roof before the supports are free. How did you get yours out? I want mine out to improve rear visibility!

Thanks!
Linda

LindaK said:
friendnumber1 said:
Removed the headrest on both of the passenger side seats,

I just tried to remove a rear right headrest yesterday, and it hits the roof before the supports are free. How did you get yours out? I want mine out to improve rear visibility!

Thanks!
Linda
Did you try folding the seat part way forward? BTW, don't forget that the headrests are important for safety if you have passengers in the back.

Okay, duh.... Thanks Davewill. I would of course replace it if I expected a passenger to sit there. :)

Mine were gone the next day after I bought it! I rarely will ever have anyone in the back and the increase in visibility with them gone is substantial.

LindaK said:

I'm glad to report back that my first trip to Tourmaline with my board in the Leaf was surprisingly easy. I lay both back seats down and it gives me more than enough room for my wetsuit tub, towel, leash etc in the back. Then, just lean the front seat back (after removing the headrest) and there is plenty of room. I'm surprised by how much room there is inside, and I'm looking forward to years of this.

Although, I have to admit that I was a little confused what to do with my key fob when I headed in. But, after a few moments I remembered the valet key and I was all set.

RevBrent said:
I'm glad to report back that my first trip to Tourmaline with my board in the Leaf was surprisingly easy.

how big is the board?

aren't you worried about messing up the interior?

I really did a number on my Matrix with my longboard.

RevBrent said:
I'm glad to report back that my first trip to Tourmaline with my board in the Leaf was surprisingly easy.

@RevBrent - EXCELLENT news! Glad to hear your baby has arrived and that you've already taken it down to sample the surf. Will definitely be on the look-out for you at Tourmaline. Maybe next week. I'm still too chicken to put my board inside, so I'm still swapping cars for my surf days.

rpmdk said:
how big is the board?

aren't you worried about messing up the interior?

I really did a number on my Matrix with my longboard.

Even though I did lease, I'm still not too worried about it. I'm just real careful to
rinse and wipe off the board (9'0) before I put it in it's bag.

RevBrent said:
rpmdk said:
Even though I did lease, I'm still not too worried about it. I'm just real careful to
rinse and wipe off the board (9'0) before I put it in it's bag.

that's good to know - my board is also 9'0 - I could easily get to the beach and back with the board inside - I'm still really curious as to what strapping the board on top will do to the range - I'm too sloppy to be putting my board inside the car all the time

rpmdk said:
I still may want to put boards on the top at some point, do they make soft racks that attach in the grooves that run down the sides of the roof?

haven't seen any like that, just the ones that pass through the cabin - they work fine but aren't a great solution if you do a lot of surfing or are in a hurry...
Has anyone tried the soft racks like this one? http://www.amazon.com/FCS-Premium-DOUBLE-Surfboard-Racks/dp/B0006Q4ATA It looks like you put the board in bag onto the roof and pass the straps through the windows, and it might be okay for short distances.

Or has anyone tried folding down just one rear seat and letting the board stick out the back? It looks like a short board would barely stick out and a long board would protrude maybe 2 feet. If the hatchback could be bungee corded closed with a red flag it might work just like carrying lumber in an ICE hatchback - with the exception of no carbon monoxide fumes pulled in by the slipstream from the tailpipe. I see a good point to hook a bungee cord on (only) one side of the underside of the car, but don't see any good place to hook onto the hatchback door.

I strapped my 9' board to the top of the car and drove to my friend's house half way to the beach. 29 miles round trip fairly light on the accelerator, about 2/3 freeway miles, used 4 bars and I'm guessing it's very close to dropping the 5th. So I'm thinking I could get the board to the beach and back only slightly in the red.

I was using the soft racks similar to above. They work fine, but are a pain in the butt to put on the car. I also have to wrap the outside straps in a towel to prevent them from making a huge racket on the freeway. I'm a little disappointed with how well they've held up though. They are starting to fall apart, it feels a little soon for the money I paid.

Back