Supposed Software Enhancement--Total FAIL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRY

Software enhancement?!? I got a letter from Nissan re new software for my 2011 Leaf. Since it was time for my two-year checkup I took it in today. About an hour into the maintenance the dealer told me that the upgrade failed and said it was because of a virus! The car is dead--it won't turn on. The dealer said that they were contacting Nissan and someone may have to fly in (to Los Angeles) to fix the problem. In the meantime, they gave me a loaner--a Rogue--and said it would probably be a few to several days before it was fixed! Anyone else experiencing this particular nightmare?

:( :( :( :(

JRY

Who's your dealer?
It's the first time I hear about leaf virus or virus develped for Consult III...
Sounds like total baloney on dealer part.

UkrainianKozak said:
Who's your dealer?
It's the first time I hear about leaf virus or virus develped for Consult III...
Sounds like total baloney on dealer part.
I understand firmware updating procedures include a step where the tech is supposed to plug a AC to DC power supply into the 12V system on the off chance that the 12V auxiliary battery fails during the flashing. Just speculating, but maybe this step was skipped.

JRY said:
About an hour into the maintenance the dealer told me that the upgrade failed and said it was because of a virus!
While I am sure your Leaf is dead, I don't buy the "virus" explanation for a second.

Yeah the 'virus' excuse is just them doing CYA. They either botched the procedure, or there's something wrong with the car or their equipment. I'm betting on the tech botching the procedure.

My dealer is Downtown LA Nissan. I also doubt that the problem is a virus. I think that said that both to CYA and to try to put the problem in layman's terms. More than likely they just screwed something up and don't know how to fix it. No word yet from them re a fix or when the car will be ready. I'll keep you posted.

JRY

davewill said:
Yeah the 'virus' excuse is just them doing CYA. They either botched the procedure, or there's something wrong with the car or their equipment. I'm betting on the tech botching the procedure.
+1----what davewill said.

My dealer was unable to complete the update on my car on Tuesday due to a "computer problem" but it did not impact the drivability so I am driving it until they get their computer fixed and reschedule the update.

Gerry

WhiteBearLake said:
So what did the update fix or enhance? I have a 2012. Does it improve the charge rate to be equal to the 2013?

No, unfortunately there is another thread on this but we keep creating redundant threads on the same general topics. The improvements of this are not really worth noting.

WhiteBearLake said:
So what did the update fix or enhance? I have a 2012. Does it improve the charge rate to be equal to the 2013?
The most important improvement is that the update may prevent the charger in your Leaf from getting fried by some charging stations (especially GE Wattstation) due to compatibility problems. If you ever charge L2 at places other than your home (or if you have one of the offending charging stations) I would definitely get the update.

I thought Downtown Nissan was above such crap but apparently they can throw the BS with the best of them! :)

JRY said:
My dealer is Downtown LA Nissan. I also doubt that the problem is a virus. I think that said that both to CYA and to try to put the problem in layman's terms. More than likely they just screwed something up and don't know how to fix it.

maybe I should call them and say "I was going to buy a Leaf this weekend at your location but I heard your Leaf's are infected with a Virus!" LOL :lol:

I got the update last week .. After my first 100% charge I noticed my estimated range jumped 15 miles :shock: I track all my charging miles and its possible I could of gained a few miles, but it was not the 15 miles indicated ..

I will find it interesting in what other Leaf owners will see after their upgrades..

Read through the P3227 Update thread and you will see that any range gain went away for everyone within about a month...

mark1313 said:
I got the update last week .. After my first 100% charge I noticed my estimated range jumped 15 miles :shock: I track all my charging miles and its possible I could of gained a few miles, but it was not the 15 miles indicated .. I will find it interesting in what other Leaf owners will see after their upgrades..

It's now Wednesday--six days after my Leaf went in for the Two-year checkup and got a "virus" while being updated. I just checked with them today and they said that they are waiting for a new part, AND it may take another week or two!!! In the meantime I'm driving a loaner from them. I'll keep you posted.

JRY

Back