Sunnyvale QC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earther

I'm going to attempt my first "beyond battery range" trip in my Leaf: from my home in Gilroy to a work conference in San Mateo.
You're probably thinking "that's only 65 miles", but keep in mind that's 65 miles of highway driving going 65+mph with significant portions hilly, not to mention on a chilly winter morning with the heater blasting -- so I know my Leaf well enough to confidently say it couldn't make it without a mid-trip recharge.

My plan is to use the new Blink QC that opened up in Sunnyvale last month (at Spirent Communications, 1325 Borregas Ave. google maps makes it appear to be some sort of office park complex). I called the Blink network, and they assured me that it's active now. Have any forum members used it before? If so, anything special I should know about it (I have an active Blink membership card, as well as CharJit and ChargePoint, but have never used a QC before). In particularly, does it appear to be accessible to the public at 6:30am on a Saturday?

-Steve

earther said:
If so, anything special I should know about it (I have an active Blink membership card, as well as CharJit and ChargePoint, but have never used a QC before). In particularly, does it appear to be accessible to the public at 6:30am on a Saturday?
As with all public charging always have a backup plan and preferably several of them especially when it comes to Blink equipment as it has been inherently unreliable at best.

Where in San Mateo is the conference and when? I suspect you would only need an hour or two of L2 charge to make you comfortable for your trip home.

Oops, what was I thinking! Gilroy to San Mateo is 65 miles or so each way. Probably would need quite a few hours at L2 to get back to full charge.

Lucky for you there are a lot of DC QC options up the peninsula past Sunnyvale.
You can check the blink map, and you will find other options.
Intuit in Menlo Park for instance.
VW ERL in Belmont.

You should call Blink and have them check that the QC is working before you leave home. Also check on the other QCs in the area - there are several more QC locations as you go North on 101. If the QC is broken when you get there, you might have to use one of the L2 chargers next to the QC in order to guarantee reaching another QC.

Plugshare is a good app to have on your smartphone, the user reports are super useful. http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back