Spotted on E-bay-OEM NISSAN Leaf Battery Charger Assembly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillaWhat

Just FYI
This might be really valuable to somebody.
1/3 the price of a Brusa?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-NISSAN-Leaf-Battery-Charger-Assembly-296A0-3NA5A-296A0-3NA7A-OEM-/111147484420?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e0e80504&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the guy/wrecking yard is 3 miles away from me...

Problem is.. and I'd consider buying it... the unit by itself is not isolated.. it requires all the rest of the leaf's on board contactors and systems to make it what it is... it's basically a dumb charger..

The Brusa is a full package so to speak..

So I can't wire this into the 240v line and the batt directly... it would freak out!

JasonA said:

Problem is.. and I'd consider buying it... the unit by itself is not isolated.. it requires all the rest of the leaf's on board contactors and systems to make it what it is... it's basically a dumb charger..

So I can't wire this into the 240v line and the batt directly... it would freak out!

Bummer!
Yes, those Swiss did a pretty good job designing those Brusa's
Still, seems like this would be an opportunity for somebody :D

JasonA said:

So where does the isolation the take place????
At some place the leaf has to go from 110/240V AC to 400 V DC, and this would be where the isolation happens???
Wouldn't that be in the charger?

The Leaf has external contactors... outside of the charger... where as 3rd party units have them built in..

True.. this might be a "isolated" unit... but...

JasonA said:
The Leaf has external contactors... outside of the charger... where as 3rd party units have them built in..

True.. this might be a "isolated" unit... but...

I thought "isolation" refers to the fact the charger's DC ground is floating, i.e. galvanically isolated from the AC ground? You cant achieve that with contactors (and have energy going into the battery from AC at the same time).

So I drove by and took a look at the unit... WOW! there are ALOT of connectors.. true, we have all the Leaf manuals....

And the main bracket can be removed but not the chillplate or cooling adapter without mods which make it an unorthodox and clumsy unit.

I'm sure it wants to talk to the controller upfront... There's alot of data pins on this thing.. the logic I bet is upfront (duh!! it is)...

This is the raw guts... or the charger.. serious Reverse Engineering would be needed to make this guy work I think..

I think...

Back