Some questions about maintenance/warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
braineo said:
Reduction gear?

I'm under the impression there is no transmission in the car.

Fleeced?
No, there is a single speed transmission.
I don't think the Nissan maintenance recommendation requires the fluid be changed at 24,000 miles. I think it is expected to last a long time without changing, similar to fluid in a rear wheel drive differential.
But changing the fluid isn't an unreasonable suggestion.
Might even be a good idea, although doing it at 24,000 miles does seem a bit cautious.

TimLee said:
I don't think the Nissan maintenance recommendation requires the fluid be changed at 24,000 miles. I think it is expected to last a long time without changing, similar to fluid in a rear wheel drive differential.
True, but it is supposed to be checked annually. That implies that something might go wrong, and it might need to be either replaced or topped up.

Ray

TomT said:
If memory serves, Nissan calls for a fluid change at 100K...
The Service and Maintenance Guide goes up to 120k/96 months. For both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 it calls for inspecting the reduction gear oil every 15K/12 months, with no mention of replacing it. Perhaps you saw that somewhere else.

Ray

I just checked the Maintenance And Repair Manual and there is no mention of a reduction gear oil change so memory, in fact, did not serve me!

planet4ever said:
TomT said:
If memory serves, Nissan calls for a fluid change at 100K...
The Service and Maintenance Guide goes up to 120k/96 months. For both Schedule 1 and Schedule 2 it calls for inspecting the reduction gear oil every 15K/12 months, with no mention of replacing it. Perhaps you saw that somewhere else.

There is something that is supposed to be checked/changed specifically at 50,000. Anyone know what that is?

ILETRIC said:
There is something that is supposed to be checked/changed specifically at 50,000. Anyone know what that is?
Are you sure about that? Easy enough to find out - load the pdf of the maintenance manual and then search for 50,000.

For MY 2011, no such requirement that I can find, and there is no 50,000 mile maintenance - goes from 45,000 to 52,500.

I figured I'd ask this question here....

My car is about to need its first annual service. What have other Leafers been paying for it? I have gotten quotes from $89 all the way to $300, and the $89 was originally around $200 but I insisted that the brake fluid didn't need a flush after just 1 year of use.

I only paid $20 for the 6 month one and that was just a tire rotation, plus I had the free software update done. I felt the suggested inspections for the "Severe Service" schedule weren't necessary.

The only thing that is absolutely needed at the first annual service is the battery check which is free for the first two years (You don't need the brake fluid change or cabin filter change). Thus, the total cost should be nothing...

RonDawg said:
My car is about to need its first annual service. What have other Leafers been paying for it? I have gotten quotes from $89 all the way to $300, and the $89 was originally around $200 but I insisted that the brake fluid didn't need a flush after just 1 year of use.

RonDawg said:
I only paid $20 for the 6 month one and that was just a tire rotation, plus I had the free software update done. I felt the suggested inspections for the "Severe Service" schedule weren't necessary.
Unless you have an actual problem to repair.... I recommend once a year service. Get everything done at the annual battery service.

smkettner said:
Unless you have an actual problem to repair.... I recommend once a year service. Get everything done at the annual battery service.

I figured having the once yearly inspections should do me well for the kind of driving I do, and still keep me within warranty. I know not everybody here agrees with me, but I feel the 6 month "Severe Service" schedule is overkill for my driving needs. Engine oil especially is what takes a beating in stop and go traffic, and of course the Leaf has no engine much less engine oil.

The car has been super-reliable. Since I took it home, it's only gone back for the tire rotation and software upgrade at the 6 month mark.

TomT said:
The only thing that is absolutely needed at the first annual service is the battery check which is free for the first two years (You don't need the brake fluid change or cabin filter change). Thus, the total cost should be nothing...

I do want to have the inspections done at least once a year as smkettner mentioned. But it seems like Nissan dealers (at least the ones I called) want to make up for the lack of oil and transmission fluid changes on this car by charging way too much.

The $89 quote does not include a cabin air filter replacement, but air flow out of the vents is still quite sufficient so I may hold off on doing this for another year.
Frankly, if I'm going to pay $300/year (like one dealer wanted) I'm not saving any money maintenance-wise over my Audi, a brand not particularly known for its low maintenance costs.

braineo said:
Reduction gear?

I'm under the impression tehre is no transmission in the car.

Fleeced?

There is a gearbox with one gear ratio that connects the electric motor to the wheels. It has oil similar to a manual transmission gearbox, but the Nissan maintenance schedule does not call for replacing it.

RonDawg said:
I do want to have the inspections done at least once a year as smkettner mentioned. But it seems like Nissan dealers (at least the ones I called) want to make up for the lack of oil and transmission fluid changes on this car by charging way too much.
You know, I almost (but not quite) feel sorry for Nissan dealers servicing the LEAF. They count on service being their cash cow, and the LEAF just doesn't do it for them. Some go to unethical extremes to keep the dollars flowing in. While others, like mine, Puyallup (WA) Nissan play straight. I have had my car in twice for the annual check and have paid zero dollars, and no pressure for any thing.
The $89 quote does not include a cabin air filter replacement, but air flow out of the vents is still quite sufficient so I may hold off on doing this for another year.
You say "The $89 quote does not include a cabin air filter replacement." but subsequent words seem to indicate that the $89 does include a filter replacement. While that may seem costly, considering the labor rate at most service facilities, probably not too bad. You can DIY - a little tricky, and there are threads covering it. I know they should, but sometimes I wonder if design engineers consider maintenance in their designs.

ebill3 said:
... I have had my car in twice for the annual check and have paid zero dollars, and no pressure for any thing. ...
They did the brake fluid change that is required at two years to maintain the warranty at no cost :?: :?:
If they did, that is one amazing dealer. :shock: :shock:
Possible they missed doing it though. You may want to double check on it if you want to be fully compliant with the service requirements to maintain the warranty.

ebill3 said:
RonDawg said:
You know, I almost (but not quite) feel sorry for Nissan dealers servicing the LEAF. They count on service being their cash cow, and the LEAF just doesn't do it for them. Some go to unethical extremes to keep the dollars flowing in. While others, like mine, Puyallup (WA) Nissan play straight. I have had my car in twice for the annual check and have paid zero dollars, and no pressure for any thing.

Yeah service/parts are definitely where dealer profits are these days, based on what someone (who was in the business himself) has told me. Especially with the Internet, dealer profits on new car sales are relatively slim, a bit fatter for used cars since no 2 are ever exactly the same so it's hard to pit dealers against each other.

You say "The $89 quote does not include a cabin air filter replacement." but subsequent words seem to indicate that the $89 does include a filter replacement. While that may seem costly, considering the labor rate at most service facilities, probably not too bad. You can DIY - a little tricky, and there are threads covering it. I know they should, but sometimes I wonder if design engineers consider maintenance in their designs.

The dealer who gave me the $89 quote specifically said it does NOT include the cabin filter replacement. They want nearly $100 just for that alone. The $300 quote from another dealer included the cabin filter replacement and the (unnecessary at the 1 year mark IMHO) brake fluid flush.

I've done my own cabin filter replacements before on my '03 Altima, which required removal of the glovebox.

RonDawg said:
I figured I'd ask this question here....

I paid $0, but I specifically requested only the free annual battery check. I'm sure if I said I needed an "annual service" they'd try to sell me things I didn't need. They got me on the brake fluid replacement a year after though, I paid $175 for it which I thought was a bit high - the service rep was saying that Leafs are different and they normally charge $300 for it, but they could give me a "discount" so it ended up at $175. Total BS I thought but they fixed a couple of other things under warranty even though the car was over 36k miles, so it wasn't too bad of a deal overall.

RonDawg said:
ebill3 said:
Yeah service/parts are definitely where dealer profits are these days, based on what someone (who was in the business himself) has told me.
I've been curious about something. Since you can go to any Nissan dealer for warranty service, it doesn't make sense that the cost of that would come out of the dealership. So who does pay for the time and parts? My suspicion is that the dealers bill Nissan NA, but does anyone know if that is true? If it is, dealers might be quite happy to do "free" warranty work as a way to make up for what they are not getting from their customers in service payments.

Ray

Having had to send back my 1986-1/2 Hardbody to multiple dealers to fix a hesitation problem (this was before CA enacted a Lemon Law) which was only remedied by $4k in replacement parts/labor (on a truck which cost me only $12k at the time), I can say that warranty repairs are definitely billed to Nissan USA. Especially since the dealer which finally fixed the problem was not the one who originally sold the truck to me.

However, someone posted that a dealer made them pay for the complimentary battery service, and only got a refund after they complained to Nissan USA. I wonder how many other Leafers this dealership ripped off and if they are also going to send them refunds, or wait until they also complain before doing so. My cynical mind is betting on the latter.

TimLee said:
ebill3 said:
... I have had my car in twice for the annual check and have paid zero dollars, and no pressure for any thing. ...
They did the brake fluid change that is required at two years to maintain the warranty at no cost :?: :?:
If they did, that is one amazing dealer. :shock: :shock:
Possible they missed doing it though. You may want to double check on it if you want to be fully compliant with the service requirements to maintain the warranty.
Of course they did not do a brake flush for free.

The warranty basic coverage, which would include the brake system, is 3 years, 36,000 miles. I'll chance it. ;)

rslatkin said:
braineo said:
Reduction gear?

I'm under the impression tehre is no transmission in the car.

Fleeced?

There is a gearbox with one gear ratio that connects the electric motor to the wheels. It has oil similar to a manual transmission gearbox, but the Nissan maintenance schedule does not call for replacing it.
There is a compound set of gears in the Leaf, so 'more opportunities' for wear-and-tear than just a single gear pair. I would like to get my reduction box oil changed after 1yr/10k, but not really for wear and tear, rather because by then any manufacturing burrs or minor cleanliness issues will have flushed into the oil, if there were any. Then, oil changes every 6-8 years, or so, simply due to the physical age of the oil should do.

Back