Some questions about maintenance/warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantasia

We are on the way to the dealership to cancel both the extended warranty (because they overcharged for it, we'll see if they'll match Santa Rosa Nissan price though) and the prepaid maintenance plan on our new Leaf that we got suckered into last week.

Just to be sure I go in there with the right information in my arsenal, am I correct that when he told me that a "computer update is required each year" and that they are "really expensive" that it was just a line? He claimed that it would be part of our maintenance bill each year - afterwards I realized, why would that be the case? If the car is under warranty that should be covered!

SO am I right, the guy was completely making that up?
Thanks in advance :)

Phantasia said:
We are on the way to the dealership to cancel both the extended warranty (because they overcharged for it, we'll see if they'll match Santa Rosa Nissan price though) and the prepaid maintenance plan on our new Leaf that we got suckered into last week.

Just to be sure I go in there with the right information in my arsenal, am I correct that when he told me that a "computer update is required each year" and that they are "really expensive" that it was just a line? He claimed that it would be part of our maintenance bill each year - afterwards I realized, why would that be the case? If the car is under warranty that should be covered!

Yes, he was completely making that up. There's no need for ANY extended warranty or maintenance plan. They just want to line their pockets. Keep your money! Once a year there is a battery pack check that is mandatory and is complementary for the first two years. After that, it doesn't say it has to be done at the dealer. You may be able to find a place to do it for much less. I've yet to hear how much they charge for it in the third year.

There is a mandatory traction battery inspection due each 12 month period. The 12 month and 24 month are free of charge, I have a 36 month lease so I don't care about the one due at 36 months. I had a quote of $120.00 for the inspection from Carlos in the service department at Carson Nissan in Carson Ca. so it sounds like a one hour labor charge.
Phantasia said:

Phantasia said:

Watch out for gotchas on canceling the warranty. We're about to do the same for the GMPP warranty on our new Volt because, for some reason, it ended up on our sales contact for $800 more than we'd negotiated. But once we cancel it, we won't be able to take out another GM warranty on the same car. But we're canceling anyway, because I really won't stand for being taken advantage of. And we're canceling the loan GAP insurance too, just to make sure the gal who screwed us over doesn't get any spiffs on our sale.

Phantasia said:
He claimed that it would be part of our maintenance bill each year - afterwards I realized, why would that be the case? If the car is under warranty that should be covered!

You answered your own question there.

I would do anything I could to cancel both your extended warranty and the service plan. Both have only slightly more value than if you took your money out of your wallet and set it on fire.

mwalsh,
I understand your feelings but I caution you against dropping the GAP insurance. Lets say a year from now your car is crashed and is a total loss (regardless of fault), the insurance company will cover the value of the car NOT the balance on the loan. You are still legally responsible for that. GAP insurance comes in and pays off the loan regardless of the difference and keeps your bank account and credit score intact.
mwalsh said:
Phantasia said:

Watch out for gotchas on canceling the warranty. We're about to do the same for the GMPP warranty on our new Volt because, for some reason, it ended up on our sales contact for $800 more than we'd negotiated. But once we cancel it, we won't be able to take out another GM warranty on the same car. But we're canceling anyway, because I really won't stand for being taken advantage of. And we're canceling the loan GAP insurance too, just to make sure the gal who screwed us over doesn't get any spiffs on our sale.

I agree. It is not worth the risk... Interesting that Nissan includes GAP insurance in their lease but GM does not, though...

GIBBER said:
I understand your feelings but I caution you against dropping the GAP insurance. Lets say a year from now your car is crashed and is a total loss (regardless of fault), the insurance company will cover the value of the car NOT the balance on the loan. You are still legally responsible for that. GAP insurance comes in and pays off the loan regardless of the difference and keeps your bank account and credit score intact.

Nissan of Folsom Lake has been charging customers for the 24 mo battery check. I called and try to schedule appt and he told me it would be $69. He says people have been paying it. I said my warranty book page 15 footnote #1 says 12 and 24 month are free. He told me it was a mistake. I called 877 No Gas EV and got it all straightened out. Got an apology call back from Rod w Service @ Folsom Lake Nissan.

If anyone has paid for the 24 mo. inspection, go get your money back.

vin944 said:
Nissan of Folsom Lake has been charging customers for the 24 mo battery check. I called and try to schedule appt and he told me it would be $69. He says people have been paying it. I said my warranty book page 15 footnote #1 says 12 and 24 month are free. He told me it was a mistake. I called 877 No Gas EV and got it all straightened out. Got an apology call back from Rod w Service @ Folsom Lake Nissan.
I bet this crook was pissed.

Did he mention the battery cell level check. I got mine done with a coupon for $175 and they found two cells that were really low. After they were filled I got about 30 GIDs back, so glad I did that. If I find the link to the coupon I will post it as I think it's good at any Nissan dealer! Only a few savvy dealers know about this check, so cool!

EVDRIVER said:
Did he mention the battery cell level check. I got mine done with a coupon for $175 and they found two cells that were really low. After they were filled I got about 30 GIDs back, so glad I did that. If I find the link to the coupon I will post it as I think it's good at any Nissan dealer! Only a few savvy dealers know about this check, so cool!
First I've heard of a coupon.
After some others had reported that the dealer checked individual cell voltages and provided them this information with their annual battery test, I asked my dealer for that at the second annual battery test.
But they advised that the dealer did not do this as part of the annual battery test, and it would cost me quite a bit, as the test takes a couple service hours.
Still baffling to me how it can take that long. Part of why I still plan to buy ELM device and use the Android app to get the data myself.

On the original question of extended warranty, I did buy one, primarily due to concern about potential costly repairs after the standard 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.
But so far, the on board charger failures has been about the only thing reported on the 2011 LEAF.
So likely that buying the extended warranty was financially a bad idea.
You never know until later.
I had an extended warranty on a European manufactured Ford product prove to be very worthwhile. But one on a 1994 Taurus SHO provided zero benefit.
Its looking like extended warranty on 2011 LEAF is most likely going to be in the zero benefit category.

EVDRIVER said:
I've never heard about this either. When you say the cells were really low, this isn't fluid is it? As far as charge level, I thought that every time you did a 100% charge, cells that were lower got balanced out. Maybe some could clarify, thanks.

vin944 said:
I've never heard about this either. When you say the cells were really low, this isn't fluid is it? As far as charge level, I thought that every time you did a 100% charge, cells that were lower got balanced out. Maybe some could clarify, thanks.
EVDRIVER was kidding. His posts should be taken with a grain of salt. Not that one can know that without considerable experience in reading them.

GIBBER said:
mwalsh,

I'll consider it. But we were thinking we'd put both our $7500 tax credit and $1500 CARB rebate aside instead. That'd be plenty to cover it.

dgpcolorado said:
vin944 said:
EVDRIVER was kidding. His posts should be taken with a grain of salt. Not that one can know that without considerable experience in reading them.
OK that's fine. I was leaning a bit that way. EVDRIVER can make it up to me by taking me snipe hunting. Have you ever been snipe hunting.?

EVDRIVER said:

I do that myself. it usually takes about 40 minutes. you can find the manual online.
thank dog that i got a set of jacks, cause squeezing under the car aint ez at my age.

Back