Solution for DRLs on U.S. cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asimba2

I have read all of the DRL threads and have not found the answer I am looking for. I have converted my 55W fog lights to LED and want to use them as DRLs. What I want: fog lights on when car is powered on, but capable of being switched off with the factory stalk-mounted fog light switch.

An additional issue--there is significant voltage drop at the H11 fog light connector, causing LEDs to flicker--they need full battery voltage.

My possible solution:
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Pin 57 in PDM provides "hot when on" power to a new relay.
A new fused wire from the battery to the fogs provide full 12.6V to prevent LED flickering.

The above would trigger the fogs when the car is "on." Now I want to utilize the stalk-mounted fog light switch so I can turn them off. If I tied the relay trigger wire to the ground wire on the H11 fog light plug, would that provide ground to the relay only when the fog light switch is on, like I'm thinking? But then, do the headlights still need to be on? I would like fogs without headlights.

The retrofit came out nicely. Here are the BMW modules once they've been removed from the housing:
20140520_213057.jpg

And here are the BMW modules retrofitted inside the stock Leaf fog lights:
20140520_213246.jpg

And this is not my picture, but shows how wide the beam pattern on the LED fogs are. What I really like about these is the color temperature matches the Leaf headlights and these have a cutoff shield inside like an HID projector, which means oncoming traffic does not get glare from bare LED emitters.
DSC_0078_zpsf4afaa73.png

Now I just need to figure out how to turn them off using the stock fog light switch on the stalk.

That looks gorgeous. How difficult was it to install the BMW units? Did you have to come up with a custom bracket? Do you have more info on the BMW fogs, and where to buy them? Thanks!

lion said:
That looks gorgeous. How difficult was it to install the BMW units? Did you have to come up with a custom bracket? Do you have more info on the BMW fogs, and where to buy them? Thanks!

Installing them is a pain, as it is much like putting a HID projector inside a light housing never meant for it. You start by removing the LED modules from inside the funky-shaped BMW housing. Then you have to cut the back off the Leaf fog lights and put the module inside. You end up with an ugly looking business end, consisting of the heatsink sticking out the back of a hacked housing and held together and sealed with silicone. You are using the Leaf fog light only for its lens and its mounts. It is a complete hack, but the end result is a really nice light and for a good price.

BMW fogs retail for $699. Retrofitsource.com is blowing them out for $60 a pair. Quite frankly, it would be much easier to do as some others have done here and just install the PIAA LEDs in place of the Leaf fogs. It's just that the PIAAs cost more and I really wanted these nice OEM lights.

Now that you have had them for a while, do you still like them? Would you do it again? Has the wide angle been a problem (really like that feature)?

I'm tempted to go this route myself, as I'm just not too impressed with other solutions in this price range.

They are really nice, but at this point in time they are wired like the factory fogs until I can figure out how to use them as DRLs. I have little use for the fogs in the city (where the LED headlights are already really good), but they should work fabulous as DRLs once I get them hooked up that way.

There is a brand new option for people that don't want to use the hacker method I did. You can find it in my last post in this thread. I would highly consider these as they may be drop-in.

One negative is the tapered part of the bumper that surrounds the light does reduce the beam width on the Leaf, so it won't be as wide as the truck photo I posted above. But it is much wider than the factory lights.

Back