Adding Automatic lights to my leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim74656

Somewhere on earth with in Connecticut air space
Ok been diffing around and planning on adding the LED lights (or bulbs) but would like to know as I am not really finding the answers I am seeking, most of the posts I find are about retrofitting LED factory light housings or installing LED H11 bulbs) but what I want to sort out is if I want to add the auto headlights what parts do I need? I know I need to find a stalk with the auto setting, is this all I really need, or are there more bits I need to find? I plan to add the Auto lamps, and the LED factory lights with the adjustable levelling switch if able. Does anyone have part numbers or the correct names of what I need to look for?

I doubt the stalk only would help. There's probably a light sensor.

Also, I believe the leveling for the factory LED headlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDACmQHCFjc) went away starting with US model year '13 and never came back, at least not in gen 1 Leaf. I previously leased a '13 Leaf SV w/both packages, so I had the LED headlights for 2 years (along w/auto) and the leveling control was not present. It was probably a cost cutting move just like the side marker lights were ditched on '13 to '17 Leafs since it's not a legal requirement in the US and all US Leafs model year '13+ got moved to be made in the US, instead of Japan.

I looked into brighter halogens when I had my 2nd Leaf (was bought used) as the stock halogens sucked and never got real far w/good/working solutions. And, if I ever looked into LED kits, they were from random companies seemingly w/little or no reputation. Whether they'd be reliable and not blind other drivers was a whole other set of questions, esp. if using the factory reflectors for halogens.

The OEM LED headlight assemblies are too expensive (e.g. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20931) and someone will have to chime in whether they're plug and play w/a Leaf that came w/halogens.

cwerdna said:
I doubt the stalk only would help. There's probably a light sensor.

Also, I believe the leveling for the factory LED headlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDACmQHCFjc) went away starting with US model year '13 and never came back, at least not in gen 1 Leaf. I previously leased a '13 Leaf SV w/both packages, so I had the LED headlights for 2 years (along w/auto) and the leveling control was not present. It was probably a cost cutting move just like the side marker lights were ditched on '13 to '17 Leafs since it's not a legal requirement in the US and all US Leafs model year '13+ got moved to be made in the US, instead of Japan.

I looked into brighter halogens when I had my 2nd Leaf (was bought used) as the stock halogens sucked and never got real far w/good/working solutions. And, if I ever looked into LED kits, they were from random companies seemingly w/little or no reputation. Whether they'd be reliable and not blind other drivers was a whole other set of questions, esp. if using the factory reflectors for halogens.

The OEM LED headlight assemblies are too expensive (e.g. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20931) and someone will have to chime in whether they're plug and play w/a Leaf that came w/halogens.

As far as plug and play, I'm going to say most likely not (different connectors as far as I can see and know), I know most cars usually have some sort of auto light sensor thing, and the '12's has the little rotator levelling knob which I did like, so worst case might buy a wreaked '12 and see if I can strip what I need out of it and go from there and just sell what I can to recover costs. As I hate being 'that driver' who goes driving around blinding others and having my high beams on because I'm a jerk. but hey at least I try to be polite on the roads so...but aside from that stuff I just want to make sure I don't need any additional special modules or anything like that.

Is your intention to run daytime running lights, or do you specifically want the auto setting? Adding DRLs is much easier than what you are trying to do...

Jim74656 said:
I would prefer the DRLs but I also like the idea that if I turn my lights on and leave them on they automatically cut off after I leave the car for a short duration, but if its too cumbersome to do I am ok with just DRL function which I really would like

In that case, do a Google search for:

DRL headlights site:mynissanleaf.com

And you'll find several threads on DIY DRLs. Despite having the auto headlight feature on my 2013 SV, when importing my LEAF from Washington State I had to retrofit "always on" DRLs. It cost me about $40 for LED light bars and about an hour of my time.

So, you will likely find it much easier to add LED light bars as DRLs rather than trying to rewire the existing headlights. Mine automatically come on when I power on the LEAF and turn off automatically when I power off the LEAF

alozzy said:
Jim74656 said:
I would prefer the DRLs but I also like the idea that if I turn my lights on and leave them on they automatically cut off after I leave the car for a short duration, but if its too cumbersome to do I am ok with just DRL function which I really would like

In that case, do a Google search for:

DRL headlights site:mynissanleaf.com

And you'll find several threads on DIY DRLs. Despite having the auto headlight feature on my 2013 SV, when importing my LEAF from Washington State I had to retrofit "always on" DRLs. It cost me about $40 for LED light bars and about an hour of my time.

I think that was one thread that I did read, which is what got me onto the DRL wanting that I have always had on other vehicles of mine

Back