SoCal Branch Year 3 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
.........snip........The award for most useful thing learned goes to a
a first-time member, who has been driving their 2012 LEAF for around 3 months... with great range anxiety. :?

They found out that the funny little cord thing packed in the cargo area... could be used to charge their LEAF. :eek:

Hopefully the range anxiety will be reduced a bit if they can leave the house with a full tank each morning! :D Hopefully they will join us again, perhaps even in Cerritos.
Wow ... Hopefully someone pointed them to Phil's EVSE upgrade site !!
JeremyW said:
I should be there this Saturday. I will talk briefly about power system protection which will be relevant to Orange County SDG&E customers. I don't think I will have my Brusa mounted, but I will talk about how we got Jason's up and running which was quite exciting. :)
I am WAY looking forward to the mounted Brusa - so DO tell, once complete, and you're heading to the meet.

Baby steps, charge with 120 volts at home first, then get
a source of 240 volts, and upgrade - that's what I did.

Now, I want to send my old upgrade in for the selectable-amps
up-upgrade, for both of my upgraded units. :D

Yes, two. One stays at home ready to use, and the other
can ride in the car for those "Knock, knock... Please, please,
may I charge my car at your house?"... days.

The cross country Ride The Future EV Tour is coming to Calif in August. Their schedule calls for Newport Beach on Aug 9, Friday.

http://ridethefuturetour.com/611/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thinking strongly of showing up, if I can find out where in NB. Anyone else want to show some LEAF love by coming?

The next day they are in Santa Monica (the 10th) which has a tremendously better EV charging infrastructure. I'm up for meeting there as I'm sure more northerners wouldn't mind the closer distance.

Saturday just seems better anyways! ;)

Agreed. I can show up on Saturday but am working on Friday...

JasonA said:
The next day they are in Santa Monica (the 10th) which has a tremendously better EV charging infrastructure. I'm up for meeting there as I'm sure more northerners wouldn't mind the closer distance.
Saturday just seems better anyways! ;)

I am in touch with the group via their Facebook page. They gave me their contact at a PR firm. I have emailed the contact and am awaiting a response on locations and times for the two cities.

No response from the PR firm after two emails. I've pinged the Ride the Future Tour group back on Facebook to see if I can get info on where they'll be in NB and SM next week. I'll update you all if/when I learn more.

Boomer23 said:
The cross country Ride The Future EV Tour is coming to Calif in August. Their schedule calls for Newport Beach on Aug 9, Friday.

http://ridethefuturetour.com/611/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thinking strongly of showing up, if I can find out where in NB. Anyone else want to show some LEAF love by coming?

I reached one of the Tour group members via Facebook. For Santa Monica on Sat, Aug 10, they want to charge on the Pier. No time information yet.

For Newport on Aug 9, they have no real plans. They'll be coming in from Corona the night before. There isn't much charging infrastructure in NB. I'll let them know about Fashion Island and the Environmental Nature Center near Newport Harbor High School. I don't know which one will attract them more. There are only a couple of cars in the group. Most of them are scooters, motorcycles and electric bicycles, if you can believe that.

I'll update here as I learn more. They are quite informal and I picture their arrival at each city to depend on charging times and road challenges, and there are no real events planned. So my best guess is that this will be a group hang out in a parking lot, with maybe an impromptu restaurant visit thrown in if people want food.

Boomer23 said:
Boomer23 said:

I reached one of the Tour group members via Facebook. For Santa Monica on Sat, Aug 10, they want to charge on the Pier. No time information yet.

For Newport on Aug 9, they have no real plans. They'll be coming in from Corona the night before. There isn't much charging infrastructure in NB. I'll let them know about Fashion Island and the Environmental Nature Center near Newport Harbor High School. I don't know which one will attract them more. There are only a couple of cars in the group. Most of them are scooters, motorcycles and electric bicycles, if you can believe that.

I'll update here as I learn more. They are quite informal and I picture their arrival at each city to depend on charging times and road challenges, and there are no real events planned. So my best guess is that this will be a group hang out in a parking lot, with maybe an impromptu restaurant visit thrown in if people want food.

Re-reading the email that I got, they are "working something out with the Nissan dealer in LA, hope to be on the Santa Monica Pier", so maybe they are working with Paul Scott. I can email him and see if he is indeed working with them and if they have any concrete plans.

Next Gathering is this coming Saturday in Cerritos,
at the Hometown Buffet on South Street, about 2
blocks East of 605 and a half block North of South
Street.

The South Street exit is the first exit from the 605
that is south of the 91 freeway.

I plan to be there at about 8 AM, and I hope to have
the Tire Pressure (and Brightness) firmware upgrade
for the GID-Meter available to write into your meter.

If you are interested, please let me know here.
Cheers, Gary

Boomer23 said:
Boomer23 said:
Boomer23 said:

Re-reading the email that I got, they are "working something out with the Nissan dealer in LA, hope to be on the Santa Monica Pier", so maybe they are working with Paul Scott. I can email him and see if he is indeed working with them and if they have any concrete plans.

Just an update to keep y'all in the loop:

I'm waiting for info on the LA/Santa Monica plans from one of Paul Scott's associates.

For the Newport stop, things are still in flux. The group would REALLY like to meet up at a beach parking lot to celebrate their first view of the Pacific Ocean since they began at the Atlantic. I'm not sure if we can find a beachside parking lot early on a Friday evening that would provide enough space for us to gather our LEAFs together along with the Tour group, their vehicles and their video crew and van. I'm thinking of either Big Corona Beach or the Balboa Pier area. Both parking lots charge parking fees ($15 at Big Corona) and parking will be catch as catch can. Newport Dunes has better parking flexibility, but it's not really the Ocean. I don't think they'll want to go as far as Huntingon Beach, but maybe, but the parking situation there is similar and probably more crowded. Another idea is one of the parking lots at Crystal Cove State Park. None of those lots are beachside, and getting to the beach is a bit of a hike, so I'm not sure if they'll want those choices or not.

So that's where we're at. I'd be happy to hear other ideas and about your interest in showing up around 6 pm at one of these beach locations this coming Friday to meet and support the RTFT group.

Here's a link to an electric bike blog report about their visit to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.
http://electricbikereport.com/e-biking-to-the-grand-canyon-with-the-ride-the-future-tour-crew-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had another thought: The group is staying at a hotel near Laguna Hills/Irvine Spectrum. If they plan to stop at the hotel before heading to the beach, maybe we could gather at their hotel, say hello and chat and then the Tour group could head to the beach afterwards.

I'll explore that possibility.

Back