So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rodkar said:
... Glad to hear it's running strong. I live in San Diego as well. I'm hoping the climate conditions here (as it never gets as cold as other cities) helps preserve the battery life a bit longer.

It's heat that kills the battery, and if you're inland San Diego, it can get hot.

rodkar said:
...Ah, well we are a bit inland but the car will always be garaged...

The LEAF is designed to discharge heat from the battery passively to the surrounding air, to the extent allowed by ambient temperatures.

Parking in a closed garage at night in the Summer (when it is probably cooler outside) will almost certainly increase your LEAF's battery pack temperature, and accelerate the loss of capacity, though perhaps by only by a negligible amount in your moderate climate.

So I thought I would post my experiences today. Decided to take a 80+ mile trip in 3 degree F weather. (Skokie, IL to Waukesha, WI) I underestimated the reduced range from the low temps. I went about 8 miles then regcharged back to 98%. Even with no heat, and a little preheating, I went from 98% to 45% in just 38 miles. That was averaging 45 mph. I then charged to 65% to make it the next 38 miles. Pulled up the drive way with 10% left. The last few miles were at closer to 38-40 mph. Overall it probably too about 110-115% to make the 88 miles. Foolishing hoping I could do the distance in one full charge (at least the 76 miles after the small recharge). Also thanking my lucky stars that I could recharge in both Willow rd Walgreens and Gateway college in Kenosha. Interestingly enough, both the charger in Skokie (where I started) and at Willow rd. Walgreens had other cars parked (electrics). A ford focus and a couple volts. The number of electrics in the area is certainly going up.

DougWantsALeaf said:
So I thought I would post my experiences today. Decided to take a 80+ mile trip in 3 degree F weather. (Skokie, IL to Waukesha, WI) I underestimated the reduced range from the low temps. .........Pulled up the drive way with 10% left. ....

Remember that most Leafs made in May 2013 or later have more miles "in reserve" between VLBW and turtle, and if you want to get the most range without actually hitting turtle, getting an OBDII bluetooth adapter and using it with an android bluetooth tablet or phone will make it easier to use the full range the car is capable of. Even without that, you will generally get 6-7miles from the disappeance of the last fuel bar before hitting turtle (at 60-70 degrees), subtract about 20% for the low temp and you probably have 4-5miles after the last fuel bar disappears before hitting turtle.

DougWantsALeaf said:
So I thought I would post my experiences today. Decided to take a 80+ mile trip in 3 degree F weather. (Skokie, IL to Waukesha, WI) I underestimated the reduced range from the low temps. I went about 8 miles then regcharged back to 98%. Even with no heat, and a little preheating, I went from 98% to 45% in just 38 miles. That was averaging 45 mph. I then charged to 65% to make it the next 38 miles. Pulled up the drive way with 10% left. The last few miles were at closer to 38-40 mph. Overall it probably too about 110-115% to make the 88 miles. Foolishing hoping I could do the distance in one full charge (at least the 76 miles after the small recharge). Also thanking my lucky stars that I could recharge in both Willow rd Walgreens and Gateway college in Kenosha. Interestingly enough, both the charger in Skokie (where I started) and at Willow rd. Walgreens had other cars parked (electrics). A ford focus and a couple volts. The number of electrics in the area is certainly going up.

i drove 77.3 miles before plugging in and had 17 miles left on GOM. was about 54-55 freeway speeds between 54-63 mph. the rest in town driving. no heat with several short bursts of defrost to clear the windows. seat heater on high. relatively normal day. mid 30's in the morning, low 40's in the afternoon.

Thank you for the reply. I had been thinking about getting an odii adapter with leaf spy. I think this will push me over the edge to get one. They are pretty cheap.

At 30F I would htotalave had little worry about making the 80 miles. But at nearly 0F range seemed to fall of a little worse then hoped. From my notes, it looks like I was in the low 70s for range, but given the dangerous cold, wanted to be conservative and safe. No matter a good story for how the charging infrastructure is coming along.

All charges were L2, I don't have a QC port.

Hoping battery sizes will go up in 2015 a bit as well. (At least to 30 KWh)

I have 2500 miles on my 13 s and can say the cold really sucks the juice outr of it. At-5 f i'm lucky to get 60 miles out of mine driving 60 to 65 mph high way for 30 miles and then the other 20 at at about 40mph backroads. It's great when the temp is above 20f but being cold wow its tough. I live in upstate ny so I may have to worry about hot weather for 3 months or of the year and not the whole 3 months either. I drive mostly at night to so I'm hoping I can get some long lasting battery life. I'm putting about 80 miles a day on it charging twice a day, once to get to work and once to get home usually charging from 30% to 100. I'm putting the car to the test for sure. My calculated savings charging at work and the minimal electric cost, I will save almost $14, 000 in 2 years being my monthly fuel cost was about $600 now down to about $80 along with the savings in car payment, insurance and finance charges. So as a commuter only car the range is perfect for me right now.

I have been driving for only a week now but I am keeping a log of the range, miles driven, outdoor air temperature, heater use... etc
I did notice the car will get cold very quickly unless you set the air to recirculation mode, otherwise it lets a lot of fresh cold air in.
I keep the air set in recirculation mode all of the time. I have also noticed the range drops much quicker if the outside air temperature
is below 20 degrees F. My daily commute is around 48 miles and most of the drive is on the highway at 60mph.
So far I am totally loving the whole Leaf experience. :)

jhaberberger said:
I have been driving for only a week now but I am keeping a log of the range, miles driven, outdoor air temperature, heater use... etc
I did notice the car will get cold very quickly unless you set the air to recirculation mode, otherwise it lets a lot of fresh cold air in.
I keep the air set in recirculation mode all of the time. I have also noticed the range drops much quicker if the outside air temperature
is below 20 degrees F. My daily commute is around 48 miles and most of the drive is on the highway at 60mph.
So far I am totally loving the whole Leaf experience. :)

i also try to keep it in recirc mode more to breathe less exhaust from others but problem is that the windshield fogs up MUCH faster here with our typically high humidity and fog (Olympia is reputedly the "Foggiest City in America")

Mileage Report 01/10/14 WORK AND BACK
2013 Leaf SV
Outside Temp. 42 F
Pre Heat 0
Climate control use (0)
Charge Level Before Pre Heat N/A After Pre Heat N/A
Starting Charge 84% Ending Charge 35%
Miles Traveled 43.1
Average Speed 23.7
Average Miles Per KW 5.5
Guessometer start 87 Guessometer end 44
Battery Temp 4 BARS
Starting Mileage Bars 10 Ending Bars
Total Time of trip 1 HR:47 MIN.
Notes: SPEEDS AROUND 30-45 MPH LOTS OF STOP LIGHTS
Flat little elevation gain of loss .
Eco mode and mode B ON RAINY

Today I am trying to get the car to the lowest battery capacity, so I can measure my battery capacity tomorrow using SpyPro. In the process, I am getting a reading of my "true" range.

The leaf is charged tp 100% two days ago, and I live in a small hilling area (maybe 50-100 feet in elevation). With roughly 60-70% town driving about 30-50 MPH range, and rest about 65 MPH on hwy, I got about 93 miles driven (odometer B reset it to 0 after full charge to 100% two days ago), and still about 9 miles left on GOM. That is 102 miles roughly I could get. LBW in ON, but not VLBW. The car has not hit turtle yet, but I guess I am close to hit it soon.

The outside temperature is about 65-70F, and no AC/Heater, just radio is always ON when driving.

Not sure this is typical or not for a relative new Leaf (bought in Dec, 2013).

Michael,

czhp01 said:
Today I am trying to get the car to the lowest battery capacity, so I can measure my battery capacity tomorrow using SpyPro. In the process, I am getting a reading of my "true" range.

The leaf is charged tp 100% two days ago, and I live in a small hilling area (maybe 50-100 feet in elevation). With roughly 60-70% town driving about 30-50 MPH range, and rest about 65 MPH on hwy, I got about 93 miles driven (odometer B reset it to 0 after full charge to 100% two days ago), and still about 9 miles left on GOM. That is 102 miles roughly I could get. LBW in ON, but not VLBW. The car has not hit turtle yet, but I guess I am close to hit it soon.

The outside temperature is about 65-70F, and no AC/Heater, just radio is always ON when driving.

Not sure this is typical or not for a relative new Leaf (bought in Dec, 2013).

Michael,

a lot of end user reports with similar observations.

My 2013 with 3700 miles on it is down to 256 GIDS. I wish had a GID meter when I leased the car. I think the battery quality out of the TN plant (my leaf was produced in April 2014) may have been a little rough in the first few month, but is much better now. In any case, the range is meeting most our needs, and with a 2 year lease, we'll see what the 2015 Leaf Brings.

I have a loaner 2014 SL, and just did my standard range tests, and what I got was very similar to the 2013 tests I did on a prototype SL in February last year.

City speed test (40 mph level road, ambient temp 50, cruise control on) 113 miles to VLB (2013 turned 109 for the same course, same time of year)
Highway speed test (65 mph level road, ambient temp 60, cruise control on) 80 miles to VLB. (2013 turned 76 for the same course, same time of year.)

This was with the climate control on, but AC and heater off. Drive settings, B mode, eco.

The pad between VLB and Turtle seems to be about 5~8 miles.

OrientExpress said:
I have a loaner 2014 SL, and just did my standard range tests, and what I got was very similar to the 2013 tests I did on a prototype SL in February last year.
Similar, but consistently better - 3.5% in the lower speed test and 5% in the higher speed test. More testing would be required to determine if it's a fluke or not.

drees said:
OrientExpress said:
Similar, but consistently better - 3.5% in the lower speed test and 5% in the higher speed test. More testing would be required to determine if it's a fluke or not.

True, the variance could be because of ambient temp, tire pressure, etc. But the road, and the test setup was identical between the 2013 & 2014.

OrientExpress said:
drees said:
OrientExpress said:

True, the variance could be because of ambient temp, tire pressure, etc. But the road, and the test setup was identical between the 2013 & 2014.

but conditions were not plus you have traffic to deal with unless you are on a closed course.

I accepted the fact that people doubted my statements that my range was better because it was casual observation from driving the same route frequently. the difference is basically what your test showed. its only a 3-4 mile improvement at best.

But now we have several people claiming the same thing. Now its all still casual observation but done with day to day driving for the most part and not with strictly controlled routes and speeds and lets face it. What else matters?

I now drive faster than I did before, use a LOT more heat than I did before and I am still getting a combined range using actual driving distance plus whats left (using LEAF Spy) in the mid to upper 80's and its Winter time. The GOM is better. I am losing only about 12-15% of the guesstimated range and it seems that from SOC of about 65-70% and down, I am losing only a few miles... IOW, it takes about 30% SOC off the top, but the GOM seems to be pretty accurate

But come Summer my range will be in the mid 90s. Never had that in my 2011.

DaveinOlyWA said:
but conditions were not plus you have traffic to deal with unless you are on a closed course.

I accepted the fact that people doubted my statements that my range was better because it was casual observation from driving the same route frequently. the difference is basically what your test showed. its only a 3-4 mile improvement at best.

But now we have several people claiming the same thing. Now its all still casual observation but done with day to day driving for the most part and not with strictly controlled routes and speeds and lets face it. What else matters?

I now drive faster than I did before, use a LOT more heat than I did before and I am still getting a combined range using actual driving distance plus whats left (using LEAF Spy) in the mid to upper 80's and its Winter time. The GOM is better. I am losing only about 12-15% of the guesstimated range and it seems that from SOC of about 65-70% and down, I am losing only a few miles... IOW, it takes about 30% SOC off the top, but the GOM seems to be pretty accurate

But come Summer my range will be in the mid 90s. Never had that in my 2011.
Dave, can you see any difference in the miles/kwh when you compare the 2011 and the 2013 ?

Back