So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
It's pointless to chase the DTE numbers. Here's my estimates:

Speed in MPH......38...50...60....70...Battery Value / Percent Charge
Tony, I didn't try to understand your table the first time around because of formatting problems, but I now see that it is very useful. How about if we present it in a "Code" box, like this:

Code:
          RANGE IN MILES
                   Speed in MPH     Battery  Percent 
                   38  50  60  70   Value    Charge
                .------------------------------------
Fully charged   | 130  91  78  65    281     100%
Battery Warning |  20  14  12  10     48      17%
Very Low Warn   |  10   7   6   5     24       8.5%
Turtle mode     |  about 1 mile        5       1.7%

Ray

planet4ever said:
TonyWilliams said:
It's pointless to chase the DTE numbers. Here's my estimates:

Speed in MPH......38...50...60....70...Battery Value / Percent Charge
Tony, I didn't try to understand your table the first time around because of formatting problems, but I now see that it is very useful. How about if we present it in a "Code" box, like this:

Code:
Speed--------38----20/45----50-----60-----70-
BatteryLow---20.0---16.0---14.0---12.0---10.0
VeryLow-------7.0----6.0----5.0----4.0----3.0
Turtle--------less than one half mile----

Ray

Edited chart: 27July11

Ray,

Thanks for that. My signature line has a link to "Range Estimate" that might also prove useful to you.

Yesterday my wife took the car out and made 3 trips in the car, started out with a full battery and went 89 miles with a combination of city street and freeway driving with the A/C off but fan on.

On the last trip (to dinner) we started out with 14 miles on the range-o-meter and at 10 miles the "low battery" warning came on with one bar left. After dinner, when we started the car up it had 0 bars but 9 miles on the range-o-meter, and then went down to 6 miles left. We returned home on city streets at speeds about 40 mph, and 5 miles later, and safely home, the range-o-meter still had 6 miles left on it.

The car charged up last night to full and from 0 bars to full took 5.5 hours.

We have been quite pleased with the range for our daily driving needs, it seems that 90+ miles with average driving is normal for us.

Ok... Here's one to chew on... On a whim I decided to drive from the middle of the San Fernando Valley to get a burger and a cup of chili at Newcombs Ranch on Angeles Crest Highway (47 miles one way) I called ahead to see if they'd let me charge up (120v only)... Almost a 5000' elevation change and I burned 9.5 bars getting there... The chili is awesome! :cool:

Quite the journey today! I live in Corvallis, OR, which is in the Willamette Valley. Today i traveled to Lincoln City on the coast. I headed North to Dallas, West on 18, to 101 S., to Lincoln city. had to go over the Coast Range, so there were some rather large climbs. at one point the lovely nav voice said "you may not make your destination"; yikes! I made it! Tried the two Charge Point chargers on SW 15th (73.6 miles), but neither would work (at least not level 2). i headed South another two miles (75.3 miles) to the two charge point chargers on SW 50th. thankfully these worked! spent a lovely day biking around (brought a folder along), eating and spending time on the beach. The way home i headed South to Newport, had dinner, then headed on hwy 20 home (75.5 miles). again some rather large climbs, "you may not make your destination", but i made it with 15 miles left showing :) yippee! what an awesome car!

i made a point of emailing the mayor of Lincoln City and i thanking him for providing the EV chargers. he soon replied back, saying i was the first to contact the city and offer thanks, and possibly the first to use the chargers. he wanted more info, so i described the above, and stressed that the chargers were the prime reason i visited the city and spent money there. i told him the charger installs were brilliant and would surely boost the local economy.

The very best range that I've ever gotten on a 100% charge has been 84.6 miles with 7 miles/1 bar of charge remaining. I always have the radio on and intermittently use the AC or wipers as needed. This has been mainly daytime driving so the lights haven't been on.

Of the last dozen trips that I've done, I've needed to recharge for 10 of those trips before getting down to the last bar so that I'd have enough charge for the next trip.

solardude said:
i headed South another two miles (75.3 miles) to the two charge point chargers on SW 50th. thankfully these worked! spent a lovely day biking around (brought a folder along), eating and spending time on the beach. The way home i headed South to Newport, had dinner, then headed on hwy 20 home (75.5 miles). again some rather large climbs, "you may not make your destination", but i made it with 15 miles left showing :) yippee! what an awesome car!
Nice !

For how many hours did you charge ?

Today, we went on a 54 mile trip, all surface streets, A/C all the time, and we averaged 9 miles/bar starting from a 100% charge! We just lost the 6th bar when almost home. The best I've done w/o A/C was 10m/bar from an 80% charge.

Yesterday, Jul 26th I did 75 miles with 80% charge. Car went to - - - (can't determine remaining miles) state and I stopped after a mile of getting - - -
80% of the driving on Freeway w/ avg of 55mph, 20% local w/ avg 40mph
Covered 13 miles between 8 miles estimated remaining miles to - - -

Details
With 80% charge, drove approx 62miles, when it showed 9 miles SOC remaining.

Starting DB reading: 2257 miles, 8 SOC miles remaining
After 16 mins (6.5 miles) of driving: 2264 SOC miles, 6 miles remaining
After 30 mins ( miles) of driving: 2270 miles, 4 SOC miles remaining
At 2270.5 SOC goes - - -
At 2271.6 SOC Stays - - -

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3AKZG0PGw[/youtube]

This video has been removed because it is to long ? or to boring :lol: I have never heard of a video being to long on U-tube..I had the popcorn ready for this long production also :)

mark13 said:
This video has been removed because it is to long ? or to boring :lol: I have never heard of a video being to long on U-tube..I had the popcorn ready for this long production also :)
Can u pass the pop corn bag to me pls??

TangoKilo said:
Ok... Here's one to chew on... On a whim I decided to drive from the middle of the San Fernando Valley to get a burger and a cup of chili at Newcombs Ranch on Angeles Crest Highway (47 miles one way) I called ahead to see if they'd let me charge up (120v only)... Almost a 5000' elevation change and I burned 9.5 bars getting there... The chili is awesome! :cool:
Nice to come down that mountain road eh? Did you get a bar back as you returned from there? Did you go up the Big Tujunga to Forest Highway, or straight up the crest?

I saw a bobcat last Sunday at the intersection of the Crest and the Forest Highways, in part due to taking the Leaf. We leave a little earlier to go to Rosamond - 70 or so miles one way, and with the car being so quiet, the cat had little warning we were coming.

I bet you could have made it with no charging, but I am wondering how long a charge you took?

Did 84 miles - last 35 or so freeway from the coast uphill to 1500'. Multiple stops in Los Angeles mid day traffic. Final freeway run was from San Pedro to Altadena. Low battery warning showed less than a mile from home, while coasting in N. Not sure the car system knows how to deal with a shift to N, may be a kind of reset. A/C on pretty much the whole time.

I am about to pick up my Leaf. I live in the Bay Area, down near Cupertino and will be driving to Palo Alto... 85 to 101. From time to time i will drive to Fremont and Redwood City. Mostly highway driving. I am wondering, should i expect to be getting around 75 miles before I am "low?" Does Low give me another 9 or 10 miles? You almost have to be doing 65+ in the carpool lane around here.

I am having also wondering if the Leaf will hold its value once the Plug in Prius comes out in 2012/April?

I really appreciate this forum! Very good.

tks in advance

mdh said:
I am about to pick up my Leaf. I live in the Bay Area, down near Cupertino and will be driving to Palo Alto... 85 to 101. From time to time i will drive to Fremont and Redwood City. Mostly highway driving. I am wondering, should i expect to be getting around 75 miles before I am "low?" Does Low give me another 9 or 10 miles? You almost have to be doing 65+ in the carpool lane around here.

Check this thread: Range-Speed-Bars Thumb Rule Table

At 65 mph I'd expect about 65 miles before the low battery warning (0 bars) at which point you'll have about 10 miles left before empty. If you really want to be able to travel 75 miles with a bit of buffer, plan on doing 60 mph or so.

drees said:
mdh said:

At 65 mph I'd expect about 65 miles before the low battery warning (0 bars) at which point you'll have about 10 miles left before empty. If you really want to be able to travel 75 miles with a bit of buffer, plan on doing 60 mph or so.

thanks so much... you are very kind. Would your best guess say this include slight AC us? Do you think Nissan will offer SW upgrades or battery enhancements to extend the range? How about making the current charger more capable down the road? I understand the 2013 might have a better charger.

drees said:
mdh said:

one more question... does the last 10 miles include turtle mode?

mdh said:
Miles after the turtle are so short that the question doesn't really apply. If you get the turtle, you want to pull over ASAP. Some folks have barely gotten a half mile from the turtle.

mdh said:
thanks so much... you are very kind. Would your best guess say this include slight AC us? Do you think Nissan will offer SW upgrades or battery enhancements to extend the range? How about making the current charger more capable down the road? I understand the 2013 might have a better charger.
Slight AC use should be OK as long as it's not too hot. I would not count on any upgrades or battery enhancements to extend the range.

Hopefully you got the DC quick charge port - once those chargers start going in you'll be able to charge very quickly if needed. But typically one rarely needs the full charge in one trip - it will include a stop long enough where having a L2 charge would be sufficient, even at current charging rates.

mdh said:
Yes. Once you hit turtle you are basically done unless you can point the car down hill.

Back