Significantly Lower SCE EV Rates

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

I know it was mentioned under the "Utilities" section. But I know many LEAF owners have SCE service in SoCal, so I thought i would mention in here, a pretty significant TOU-EV rate change this month. Here is last month's rate, and then my latest bill rate below it. Even though they raised peak/off peak rates, it sure will be nice to be paying the equivelent of $3.35 per gallon of gas instead of $3.60-$5.30/gal.

image0025d.jpg

Summer rates start June 1, Jeremy.

The new rates are a nice surprise. Prior to April, SCE did a rapid fire series of rate increases, one of them taking the Peak summer Tier 2 rate up to 70 cents!

If I recall correctly, EV charging SOP rates for summer remain the same as winter, or almost the same.

I have been complaining that my SCE Super Off Peak rate is double the national average anytime rate for more than a year.
It is about time it was reduced :D

I think SCE might have figured out with so many EV customers on solar that they may not want to buy electricity at 70 cents kWh :lol:

Boomer23 said:
Summer rates start June 1, Jeremy.

The new rates are a nice surprise. Prior to April, SCE did a rapid fire series of rate increases, one of them taking the Peak summer Tier 2 rate up to 70 cents!

If I recall correctly, EV charging SOP rates for summer remain the same as winter, or almost the same.

Summer On peak is .47cent tier 2 instead of the .70 cent kWh
Summer Off peak is virtually the same as winter off peak.
Summer Super off peak is actually less! .09cents/kWh.

image0026i.jpg

Although this is nice for heavy Super Off Peak charging...its kind of scary that they can change rates on a whim. I'm still going forward with my 7KW PV system soon.

Is it true my Peak time solar generation will give me more than 1:1 equiv when I charge at super off peak? That would be crazy to get twice as much power back at super off peak that I supply during peak. If true, I think the 7KW PV system will take care of my household and EV needs!

Either way...at .09-.10 cents kWh, I am finally paying less than $4 gal, equivalent....and weighed against current gas prices...effectively averaging well over 110mpg, with 3.7mi/kWh showing on the dash.

Here is the kWh/gas cost equivalent chart:

gasequivtokwhcostchart.jpg

30 cents = $10 a gallon really speaks to me saying to charge 100% every night.
If I charge to 80%, run errands at lunch and need to get out in the evening I am often looking for a boost charge.

Blink at $1.50 per hour to charge at less than 4kWh is simply outrageous.

3kW solar is getting installed in a couple weeks :D

Chances are I will be with SCE this summer and trying to figure out what I should consider before choosing the plan. Solar is on the table but likely no earlier than next year. Will appreciate any advice here. Should I even consider the EV only plan with a sun-meter? Afaik they don't allow solar on 2 meters, so sounds like whatever I spend on the sub-meter install will be wasted if I go solar later.

How do the TOU / tiered rates get calculated (I assume this is TOU-D-TEV)?

Is each TOU period it's own bucket, meaning you can be in different tiers depending on how much electricity you've used during each TOU period? Or do the Tier 2 rates apply across the board once you've exceeded your baseline across all TOU periods?

ELROY said:
Although this is nice for heavy Super Off Peak charging...its kind of scary that they can change rates on a whim.
All rate changes have to go through the PUC. You very likely received a notice a while back saying they were going to present the new rates to the PUC for approval.

drees said:
How to the TOU / tiered rates get calculated (I assume this is TOU-D-TEV)?

Is each TOU period it's own bucket, meaning you can be in different tiers depending on how much electricity you've used during each TOU period? Or do the Tier 2 rates apply across the board once you've exceeded your baseline across all TOU periods?

ELROY said:
Although this is nice for heavy Super Off Peak charging...its kind of scary that they can change rates on a whim.
All rate changes have to go through the PUC. You very likely received a notice a while back saying they were going to present the new rates to the PUC for approval.

I think it just measures the total energy usage you have accumulated in super off peak. You definitely have to have one of the new smart meters which measures how much you use each hour.

Here you can see my kWh shoot way up when charging at midnight...

edisongraph.jpg

drees said:
How do the TOU / tiered rates get calculated (I assume this is TOU-D-TEV)?

The latter. All of your usage for the month drives your Tier 1 and Tier 2 billing for all three TOU periods simultaneously. The calculation is done at the end of your billing month.

I have spreadsheets that describe this. If you want a copy, any forum member can send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a sample sheet.

If you prefer a word description with an example, here is a link to a post that I wrote on the SCE thread a while back:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=666&start=280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valdemar said:
Chances are I will be with SCE this summer and trying to figure out what I should consider before choosing the plan. Solar is on the table but likely no earlier than next year. Will appreciate any advice here. Should I even consider the EV only plan with a sun-meter? Afaik they don't allow solar on 2 meters, so sounds like whatever I spend on the sub-meter install will be wasted if I go solar later.

I don't know whether they allow solar with a 2 meter plan, but I would think that they would. Your main house power use would have the solar on that main meter, and then the second meter would just be for your EV charging.

I think that if you're planning on getting solar, I would avoid the cost of getting the second meter, because that can be quite expensive for the electrical work, and quite a hassle getting it arranged and actually accomplished.

The key to the main benefit of single meter TOU rates is whether or not you will use a lot of power during the key Peak hours, which are M-F, 10 AM to 6 PM. If you don't pull a lot of power, such as by running Air Conditioning, during those hours, you'll do fine with this rate because you won't get billed for many kWh at the high Peak Tier 2 rates.

If you do use a lot of power during Peak hours, the dual meter plan would be better, and keep your household usage on the regular domestic tiered rate plan.

Lastly, if you have solar power, you'll find that the single meter plan is a positive boon to your bottom line, because you get the full retail benefit of your net solar generation during Peak hours subtracted from your other power use. So it is actually possible to have a net usage of SCE power, but get a bill of zero at the end of your net metering year.

If you have solar and also have AC usage during Peak hours, the solar power will offset your AC usage, so you won't have a big power bill, but you won't get quite the benefit that you would without the AC usage.

Those rates make me glad I live in Anaheim and we have our own utility. Anaheim has no tiers, only Lifeline and normal rates. They are also not timed. I usually charge late at night to be a good citizen, not to save money.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Just curious, can SCE change rates at will?

Here in MA, rates have to be approved by regulators in a rather lengthy process and rate changes take months.

They do have to get approval, thank goodness. We have a state regulatory body called the CPUC.

Boomer23 said:
I don't know whether they allow solar with a 2 meter plan, but I would think that they would. Your main house power use would have the solar on that main meter, and then the second meter would just be for your EV charging.
There is this piece on the SCE web-site under the TOU-EV-1 plan rates. Considering it is the EV meter that is not connected to a solar array I think what it means is that power consumption for EV charging will not be covered by solar even if there is excess generation.
Important Information for Customers Using or Considering Solar Power: By regulation, a photovoltaic (PV) array may be connected to a single meter only. If you wish to use solar energy for your home and EV charging needs, consider selecting a rate that uses only one meter: either a Residential Plan or the Home & Electric Vehicle Plan.

Boomer23 said:
I think that if you're planning on getting solar, I would avoid the cost of getting the second meter, because that can be quite expensive for the electrical work, and quite a hassle getting it arranged and actually accomplished.
I tend to agree.

Boomer23 said:
The key to the main benefit of single meter TOU rates is whether or not you will use a lot of power during the key Peak hours, which are M-F, 10 AM to 6 PM. If you don't pull a lot of power, such as by running Air Conditioning, during those hours, you'll do fine with this rate because you won't get billed for many kWh at the high Peak Tier 2 rates.

If you do use a lot of power during Peak hours, the dual meter plan would be better, and keep your household usage on the regular domestic tiered rate plan.
I'll have to see if I can cut down power consumption during peak hours. My wife works from home a lot now but after we move she'll be very close to her work, so I think she'll be in the office more often. However we have indoor pets, leaving them without the AC running will be cruel.

Boomer23 said:
Lastly, if you have solar power, you'll find that the single meter plan is a positive boon to your bottom line, because you get the full retail benefit of your net solar generation during Peak hours subtracted from your other power use. So it is actually possible to have a net usage of SCE power, but get a bill of zero at the end of your net metering year.

If you have solar and also have AC usage during Peak hours, the solar power will offset your AC usage, so you won't have a big power bill, but you won't get quite the benefit that you would without the AC usage.
How does it work, you get more "points" during peak time from solar energy production when on a TOU plan?

Valdemar said:
How does it work, you get more "points" during peak time from solar energy production when on a TOU plan?

Not points, dollars. When SCE calculates your bill at the end of the month, all of the net power that you generated from solar during Peak hours at perhaps $.45 per kWh acts as a credit against your power usage at other times of day at maybe $.25 (Off Peak) and $.10 (Super Off Peak). The less power you use during Peak hours, the more high dollar value credits you have at the end of the month to offset your other power usage.

Boomer23 said:
Valdemar said:

Not points, dollars. When SCE calculates your bill at the end of the month, all of the net power that you generated from solar during Peak hours at perhaps $.45 per kWh acts as a credit against your power usage at other times of day at maybe $.25 (Off Peak) and $.10 (Super Off Peak). The less power you use during Peak hours, the more high dollar value credits you have at the end of the month to offset your other power usage.

Ok, makes sense now. Sounds like a more or less fair system to me.

Back