Sign the petition to stop VSP on EV's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonewild

I created a petition to stop the mandate to require VSP on EV's

http://environment.change.org/petitions/search?search=vsp

Thanks.

Here is the text ... I think you need to add a not to make it correct.

I also think we need to include information about the bill, and particular provisions. In particular I think we should ask them to remove the automatic sound part (remove the provision that says the sound doesn't have to be manually triggered).

VSP law under consideration
Greetings,Dear Sentor and house members and Mr. Obama

I see some need for the blind to know that a car is coming down the street, but If the blind person obeys the crosswalk signals why would they need to hear a EV louder then a normal car traveling down the street? Vote No on adding a loud sound to EV's. Vote No on EV's noise moving backwards as a car moving backward is not fast enough for the driver to not stop if they see someone. The noise pollution in the city is so loud now we do not need in the future 100's or 1000's of cars making even more noise.

--> How about changing the double-negative to a positive: instead of
a car moving backward is not fast enough for the driver to not stop if they see someone.
a car moving backward is slow enough for the driver to stop if they see someone.
--> Change "blind" to "vision impaired" ? (less "insensitive" and covers a larger group ... just being pro-active).
--> Emphasize (bold type, underline, or all caps) i.e. "Vote NO" ?

I agree, it needs work, but I signed anyway, adding comments of my own.

For example, is there ANY verified reportings of a blind person, following prudent safety procedures, getting seriously injured by an EV?

Is there a petition to keep the VSP? According to reports it is barely audible, except for the back up sound. And there is a button to turn it off.

http://evsandenergy.blogspot.com/2010/06/testing-leaf-on-nissans-yokohama-track.html

Before voting "for", best to know what one is voting for. The title rarely tells enough.

Nissan's forward-motion sounds are reported to be "not very loud". That is good.

The sounds to be mandated by the government might be objectionably louder (perhaps like the "repirtedly-loud" Nissan "backup" sound).

Signed. If I wanted an EV to make a ton of noise, I'd honk the horn. Call me crazy, but when operating a vehicle, I assume responsibility for my actions, and I pay attention to my surroundings.

I like the sound...sounds like a supercharger whine a bit.... regardless...its a speaker in the engine bay...disconnect it if you wish...not really that hard (im assuming)...granted you'd be in trouble if you actually did hit someone

From the guy who tested it in Yokohama, he said it wasn't loud at all... the backup sound is kinda annoying I admit...but whatever... who cares :roll: and I think the main driving whine (shuts off at 15mph?) will hardly be noticeable from inside... the only noise you will hear is tire noise and wind noise at 30-80mph...when coming in at 15mph I doubt it will be a huge changeover and quiter than a IC engine.

BrendanDolan said:
Signed. If I wanted an EV to make a ton of noise, I'd honk the horn. Call me crazy, but when operating a vehicle, I assume responsibility for my actions, and I pay attention to my surroundings.
You haven't read the report which says it is barely audible in the forward direction.

I did a search and could not find this video on the forum. I hope this is not a duplicate. If it is you can modify this post and link to the original location. Here is an interesting video about the development of the sounds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPwx-YxIZM[/youtube]

See the last page of this document:

http://www.nissan-newsroom.com/JPN/en/PRODUCTS/ZEROEMISSION/images/02/PDF/leaf_panel_100611-e05.pdf

The overall "sound pressure" of the Leaf's VSP appears to be significantly lower than that of a gasoline engine, with the exception of two narrow peaks at .6KHz and 2.5KHz which form the unique audio signature. And even those peaks are very close to the gasoline engine. It's as if you took the sound of a normal car and filtered out much of the noise. Bottom line, a street full of Leafs will be much quieter than a street full of ICEs. I don't think it's going to be a problem at all.

Back