Side moldings for the Leaf doors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Randy for going first and showing pictures. Your report really helped us. We installed ours yesterday and managed to do it without killing each other. :lol: Another family project done!

Randy said:
Looks like the Sportwing folks liked my Leaf molding photo so much that they took it from here to post on their eBay auction and on their website...

Geez, they even mis-spelled their own website name on the watermark that they put on MY photo....
Not classy at all. They need to ask permission before using your photo. Just because it's on the internet does not mean it's public domain! You can have eBay take down the listing for using your Copyrighted photos if you're unable to reach an agreement with them.

Kataphn said:
Thanks, Randy for going first and showing pictures. Your report really helped us. We installed ours yesterday and managed to do it without killing each other. :lol: Another family project done!

Any photos Kat? Thanks!

I wonder why don't they make them slightly longer, from the edge of the door to the other end's edge? The couple of inches of gap left makes the car door look weird...

mxp,
I can see how you would think that from looking at the photos. However, there is an issue that isn't readily apparent. Starting at the crack between the two doors and going backward towards the rear wheels, the Leaf "bulges out" as you get into that area you're speaking about. As it is, the molding is flexed a bit when installed. So if the molding was longer, I'm not sure how it would work/look...I think the bulge factor would be too much, and it might gap or have a problem with the adhesive...

drees,
I sent their website support an email about the photos, giving them a chance to respond....We'll see what they say...

33u3f5d.jpg

Sorry, don't know how to shrink picture!

Very nice Kat! :D Thanks for the photo! Did you do it? Were they easy to install?
I had ugly black strips on my white 2000 Honda Civic GX and they were too low which caused a major marring from what I'm guessing was someone's metal shopping cart. Skywagon was so kind to compound them out to make it look saleable.

Randy said:
mxp,
I can see how you would think that from looking at the photos. However, there is an issue that isn't readily apparent. Starting at the crack between the two doors and going backward towards the rear wheels, the Leaf "bulges out" as you get into that area you're speaking about. As it is, the molding is flexed a bit when installed. So if the molding was longer, I'm not sure how it would work/look...I think the bulge factor would be too much, and it might gap or have a problem with the adhesive...

drees,
I sent their website support an email about the photos, giving them a chance to respond....We'll see what they say...

Ok. After looking at my rear doors more closely, I see what you saying.

I will be looking more closely at other vehicle makes/models to see how they have these moldings implemented on the doors.

LEAFfan said:
Very nice Kat! :D Thanks for the photo! Did you do it? Were they easy to install?

Yes, I put them on as a team project with my spouse. They were easy to install if you go carefully and methodically and follow Randy's directions. Watch out for the separate backing on each end. It is easy to peel off the majority of the backing and forget to peel off that extra little piece.

Kat

mxp said:
I wonder why don't they make them slightly longer, from the edge of the door to the other end's edge? The couple of inches of gap left makes the car door look weird...
Beauty, or lack thereof, is in the eye of the beholder. On the LEAF, I do think the side moldings is an improvement, making it appear less slab-sided (read: porky) by breaking up the expanse of the door skins.

Ordered side moldings on 9/23 from Sportwing. Received and installed today, 9/30/11. Good color match. After experimenting with tape, I installed them parallel with the door sill (bottom of door). They look good!

Randy said:
It's easier to measure straight to the ground, which is 26" to the bottom of the molding on my car.
Randy and Kat, having had your moldings for several months now, are you happy
with the vertical placement of the molding (26" from bottom edge to ground)?

I've received mine and am ready to install. But, it seems the 'apogee' could be
even a little higher, maybe 29" from ground. Although, when I look at other cars
(non-Leafs), it doesn't always appear they are using the apogee but sometimes
a seemingly arbitrary, 'aesthetically' pleasing height (i.e., these are as much
cosmetic as they are functional). Any thoughts from others that have installed
side moldings?

The moldings are holding up well on the doors, and I'm still happy with the purchase.

Even though I installed at 26" above the ground, it could be done as you suggested (a little higher)...

The most important thing is that you only get one chance to apply, so you need to measure and mark the door well and then slap 'em on.....

I've been happy with the moldings...

Randy said:
It's easier to measure straight to the ground, which is 26" to the bottom of the molding on my car.
JPVLeaf said:
Randy and Kat, having had your moldings for several months now, are you happy
with the vertical placement of the molding (26" from bottom edge to ground)?

I've received mine and am ready to install. But, it seems the 'apogee' could be
even a little higher, maybe 29" from ground.
If you do decide to go with 28"-29" from the ground, please do post pics. Thanks.

i just got my set in the mailing tube...would some kind soul measure from bottom edge of door(sill) and post their measurement....I think that would be more accurate than garage floor up...thanks in advance kp couch

I ordered moldings back in December but couldn't put them on until a few days ago. I used the 26" off the ground that Randy suggested.

Tardis_molding.jpg

TomT said:
I hate door dings and regardless of how careful you are, sooner or later you're going to get one... That is why I do not like cars with doors that do not have side moldings. Moldings, at least, give you a fighting chance...

So, I found a company that is now offering them for the Leaf at a discount:

http://www.sportwing.com/nissan-leaf-bo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... lding.aspx

Here is the url of the company that actually makes them. They don't yet have a full picture of them on a Leaf...

http://www.dawn-ent.com/bodyside/nissanbodyside.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just ordered mine and referenced this forum and recommended that they sell a Ground Effect Kit for the LEAF.

Ehelmholst...how was your color match on pearl glacial...I sent first set back as too white...snd set is better but still far from perfect match...maybe I am too picky..kpc

Back