Security+Plus plans for the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so my dealer offers the Security+Plus plan at roughly 4X the cost at Santa Rosa (at least for the specific plan I checked). However, their offer includes a full refund at end of the plan if no claims have been made! This is detailed in a separate document which has the dealer's name printed and refers to the dealer doing the refunding. (The major provisions include that the refund is available for 90 days after the end of the time, not mileage, and that I must still own the vehicle at that point.)

I paid for the plan, knowing that I have 60 days to cancel it. Now I have to decide which way to go: expensive with possible refund, cheap but no refund, or no service plan. I can see pluses for each.

DoxyLover- I received similar "money back guarantee" pricing but it isn't 4x the price. Here are some examples:

Time/Mileage--Money Back--Without Money Back
60mo/60k --$839--$571
72mo/75k--$972--$711
84mo/100k--$1,315--$1,084

I am thinking of just waiting it out till the new car warranty due date and then purchasing the warranty.

mxp said:
I am thinking of just waiting it out till the new car warranty due date and then purchasing the warranty.
after 12KM price is $75 more and warranty price is going up too, was less in 2011

So it looks like the dealer is making their own bet that you will use the warranty. Or maybe you will forget about the refund by then or will have moved away from them by then. Or maybe they're not sure if they'll still be in business by then.

Do they require that you service you car with them? If yes, and if they're still around by then, maybe they can "help" you find something wrong with it to use the warranty up, huh? Thing is, the repair cost has to be more than the warranty cost or else you're in the red.

I remember buying a big screen TV years ago at this store, and they offered a store credit for the warranty amount if you never had to use the warranty. Well, I never had to use the warranty, but by that time, I already moved to another state. However, I went through the trouble of having my brother who's still local there "redeem" the store credit and buy a multi-CD player for me.

Lot of parts covered for 60 mo. but wonder if dashboard display, Nav unit are part of Electric Vehicle System, this is so vague in Warranty booklet

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE
The Powertrain coverage period is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship. Powertrain coverage applies to components listed below, under the headings Drivetrain, Restraint System, and Electric Vehicle System, supplied
by Nissan, subject to the exclusions listed under the heading “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.

ELECTRIC VEHICLE (EV) SYSTEM COVERAGE The EV System coverage period is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever come first. This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship. EV System Coverage applies to components listed below under the heading EV System, supplied by Nissan, subject to the exclusions listed under the heading WHAT IS NOT COVERED.
EV SYSTEM Motor, Inverter unit, VCM, Reduction gear, DC/DC converter, Onboard charger, Onboard charger connector, and Trickle charge cable.

EdmondLeaf said:
mxp said:
after 12KM price is $75 more and warranty price is going up too, was less in 2011

I suppose one should not wait until 12K miles then. My initial thoughts were to get the warranty before I hit 10K miles anyways....

Really....Did the Santa Rosa quote go up this year? So how much is the cheapest rate for the "LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage" ?

mxp said:
Really....Did the Santa Rosa quote go up this year? So how much is the cheapest rate for the "LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage" ?

LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,136.00

Back